Add POP / IMAP Mail Server

Michaela Lacko-Vrabcová January 4, 2018

Hi guys and Happy new year!

I try to set up an incoming mail handler and even if I follow your documentation an error persist when I test the connection. 

First of all I tried to add a Pop / IMAP Server because we use a custom server not yahoo or google mail.  Result is in the picture - I talked about problem with our system admin - mail server shloud not be blocked from your JIRA server. Also pop ports is not blocked.

Can you please help me what error means? I tried to google it bot I was not successfull.

Thank you,

Michaela Vrabcová

Snímka.PNG

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 4, 2018

Hi Michaela,

• What kind of Mail Server is this, e.g. MS Exchange?
  • Are you using SSL?

The first thing I would do is take a look at your logs.  See if you see a line similar to this:

2014-04-04 15:34:11,888 QuartzWorker-0 ERROR ServiceRunner Create Issue [atlassian.mail.incoming.mailfetcherservice] Create Issue [10000]: Error connecting to host 'mailserver.mycompany.com' as user 'niceuser' via protocol 'pop3': javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: Command is not valid in this state.
javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: Command is not valid in this state.

If you see something similar to the above check out JIRA throws "javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: Command is not valid in this state" when connecting to MS Exchange.  This means JIRA is not being able to connect to the mail server using a non-SSL connection. SSL is required by Office 365.

Cause

JIRA is not being able to authenticate on the mail server because the SSL certificate of the mail server is not present in JIRA's keystore.

Resolution

If you are not using MS Exchange:

• Let me know what Mail Server you're running
  • Turn on Debug logging for mail and provide the log snippet from the failure

Cheers,

Branden

Michaela Lacko-Vrabcová March 9, 2018

Hi Branden,

Thanks for your time and sorry for late answer, we checked logs and we found the statement, but we waited until today to get that certificate into Jira´s keystore by our external IT company.

Today i tested it and it seems like nothing happened - we are using MS Exchange? Mail server and also ports are not blocked.

Is there anything else that we can try?

Thank you again and have a nice day,

Michaela

Suggest an answer