Add Description Field to Notification Emails

JSzymik November 15, 2018

How do I add the Description field of a newly created ticket into the body of the notification emails when an issue is created in the Jira Service Desk?

1 answer

0 votes
Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2018

It depends on which notification you want to send out.

If you go to project settings > Customer Notifications you will be able to edit what these notifications look like based on an event.

When you choose a rule, inside it will have an "insert variable" option that will have "issue description" or you can manually enter ${issue.description}.

Here's what I've tried in pictures:

2018-11-15 12_53_23-Window.jpg2018-11-15 12_48_27-Window.jpg2018-11-15 12_44_30-Window.jpg

Thank you for your quick follow-up on my questions!

Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2018

It seems like you're updating the portion that will be in all issues regardless. You want to scroll down a little bit and add the description to individual events.

Request Created, Public Comment Added, etc.

Like JSzymik likes this
Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2018

That also looks like an uneditable. Issue Assigned is under "Notification" and not "Customer Notification" it appears to only give the option to email certain individuals but not modify the content of that email. 

I can look into a bit more though.

Like JSzymik likes this

That's what I've found also.

I thought I was overlooking something!

Like Raynard Rhodes likes this
JSzymik November 20, 2018

@Raynard Rhodes I created a ticket (PSCLOUD-13642) and was told this enhancement had already been suggested but would not be implemented in the near future, which is a bummer because it would be very helpful in triaging our JSD tickets without having to log in to Jira  Unfortunately it will not be looked at any further.  Reference JRACLOUD-7266 for more information.  

This is the first time in five years I've been disappointed with Atlassian.

Thank you again for your help!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer