Add Custom field value Thru REST API In Issue Update

Deleted user July 24, 2019

Hi,

I want to add a New Field Value to Multi-Select in Issue Update thru REST API.  While Passing the New Value to the JIRA Update I am getting an error. I am not sure how to add the new value to Multi-select. Any other suggestions will be helpful.

Input:

{
"fields" : {
"customfield_12354" : [
{
"value" : "New Jira Test Account"
}
],
"project" : {
"id" : "11000",
"key" : "TP"
}
},
"issueIdOrKey" : "86758"
}

JIRA Output:

{
"errorMessages": [],
"errors": {
"customfield_12354": "Option value 'New Jira Test Account' is not valid"
}
}

Thanks,

Nagendra M

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2019

Hi,

If I understand your question here, you are trying to create a new value for a multi-select field, assign that value to a specific Jira issue in a single REST API call.

You can not do this action in a single REST API call.  Which might explain why you are getting this error.  When you edit an issue in Jira via REST, you are only able to select from the current possible values that have been preset for that field.  For multi-select fields, their values have to be defined before any issue in Jira can actually utilize that value.  (The same is not true for the labels type field, but this is not the same kind of field).

The other problem here is that for user created custom fields in Jira Cloud, the REST API currently won't let you edit the field option values.  There are a pair of feature requests for this functionality via REST API in

There is an endpoint that could do this in POST /rest/api/2/field/{fieldKey}/option.  However this endpoint can only be used by connect apps (aka plugins or apps) that create custom fields.  From that document:

Note that this operation cannot be used with the built-in custom fields. It only works with issue fields added by Connect apps, as described above.

So if you're creating a connect app that in turn creates a custom field, then you could use that endpoint to add options to a multi-select type custom field.  However if that custom field is not created by a connect app, there does not appear to be a way to change those options/values via REST at this time.  Instead you would need to do this via the web interface of Jira.

Once those options exist for those fields, then you can use the Edit issue endpoint in PUT /rest/api/2/issue/{issueIdOrKey}.  Which can then set/change the custom field value on that issue from the available options.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Deleted user July 26, 2019

Thank you.

Like Amir Katz (Outseer) likes this
Jordi Fontseca January 17, 2020

Hi @Andy Heinzer ,

first, thanks for the detailed reply.

Two years ago I had to create an app that would create a custom field, so that I could manage the options through the REST API.

Now I'm in the same situation, but after checking the Docs I have found a new group of endpoints that apparently work for custom fields created in Jira (no need to create an app):

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v2/#api-group-Issue-custom-field-options

Is this something new? Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Like Dario B likes this
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2020

Hi @Jordi Fontseca ,

We have added endpoints to:

However, the feature requests are still open since we still miss the endpoints to edit/delete custom fields and to delete custom fields options. Keep following them for updates.

I hope this explains.

Cheers,
Dario

Jordi Fontseca January 27, 2020

Hi @Dario B !

I see, thanks for the information!

Btw, I have already started using the GET/PUT/POST methods for the custom field options and it's very useful.

I have only encountered one issue: right now, it seems that it's not possible to add new "cascading options" to existing options (for Cascading Select fields).

So I can create an option with two suboptions like this:

POST /rest/api/3/customField/{fieldId}/option

[{"value":"Option A","cascadingOptions":["Suboption 1","Suboption 2"]}]

But later I can NOT add a new suboption to it:

POST /rest/api/3/customField/{fieldId}/option

[{"value":"Option A","cascadingOptions":["Suboption 3"]}]

There is no error, but the request is ignored.

Like Srikanth Ganipisetty likes this
Dario B
Atlassian Team
January 28, 2020

Hi @Jordi Fontseca ,

I believe that after the options are created (sending a POST request), you should send a PUT request to update the field instead of sending another POST request.

However, please notice that sending a PUT request to edit the field options is marked as experimental and, as mentioned:

Experimental features

Features and methods marked as experimental may change without notice. Feedback on experimental functionality is welcome. Report your suggestions and bugs in the ACJIRA project (preferred) or use the Give docs feedback link at the top of this page.

Can you kindly test this and let me know if it works?

Cheers,
Dario

Jordi Fontseca January 29, 2020

Thanks @Dario B !

I also tried sending a PUT request.

This works for changing an existing value (for instance, replacing "Suboption 2" with "Suboption 2 Renamed"):

PUT /rest/api/3/customField/{fieldId}/option

[{"value":"Option A","newValue":"Option A Renamed","cascadingOptions":[
    {"value":"Suboption 2","newValue":"Suboption 2 Renamed"}
]}]

But it does not allow adding new values (if I provide a "Suboption 3", it is ignored):

PUT /rest/api/3/customField/{fieldId}/option

[{"value":"Option A","newValue":"Option A","cascadingOptions":[
    {"value":"Suboption 3","newValue":"Suboption 3"}
]}]

I have already submitted this to Atlassian Support and they have raised it as a bug here:

https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/ACJIRA-2058

Hopefully it will be fixed soon

Thanks again for the feedback!

Like Dario B likes this
Dario B
Atlassian Team
January 31, 2020

Hi Jordi, 

You are very welcome and thanks for providing an update on this! 

Have a nice weekend!

Dario

Allen Culpepper February 25, 2021

Is there any way to do that in Jira Server? I dont see that api available.

sujoychakraborty93 July 8, 2021

HI @Dario B , 

same question as above. Is there similar end points for jira server?

or any other work around? I know of few like using selenium with python or like using interceptor on chrome with postman and it works. But i was looking for any stable/sustainable work around if possible. 

Support REST Extender _Groupnet_ November 25, 2021

@Allen Culpepperand @sujoychakraborty93

your (sub-)question is about Server and until now not answered, so I dare to ...

You currently can't add custom field values with the standard Server REST API, so you have some options:

• write your own plugin that offers a new unique endpoint. A good starting point for this is: Tutorials and guides . Then you need 'just' to find the right JIRA API methods.
  • try out the 'REST Extender' from the marketplace
  • try out the 'Script Runner' and build your own REST endpoint with Groovy

Note: I belong to the vendor's support of the 'REST Extender'.

0 votes
Thomas Opiolka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2019

Hi,

there is also a Jira cloud App called "External Data for Jira Fields" that allows you to synchronise an external data source into field options of native custom fields.

You could connect a custom field with an external API or with a simple Json file. From then on the options will stay in sync (new values added and missing values disabled) so it always reflects your data source.

Maybe this gets you around creating your own connect-app.

Thomas

Disclaimer: I am the product manager of said App.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events