Add Categories to Projects menu, Maybe Using Scriptrunner?

Neil Arrowsmith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2016

We have our JIRA Software projects organised into categories. Ideally i'd like to provide users with a quick way to get to the list of projects in each category, from the Projects menu. The existing basic categorisation of "Software" and "Business" is not enough for us.

So really I just want to save an extra click, and send the user to (e.g.):

.../secure/BrowseProjects.jspa?selectedCategory=10010&selectedProjectType=all

Is there a way to do this, either:

• Out of the box, or by simple tinkering in the backend source or config files?
  • Using a Web item script fragment, with the Scriptrunner plugin?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2016

The script-runner web-fragment approach is a better option because it's easier to maintain on upgrades (I lean towards avoiding any code changes in the core)

Software and Business aren't categories though, they're the project type.

Neil Arrowsmith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2016

Thanks Nic. Yes I realise the distinction. We don't really care about the project type, but I do want to provide users with access to a subset of projects at my choosing.

Any idea how to do it with web fragments?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2016

Not off the top of my head, as I've not tried to amend those menus, but I use the fragment locator to find out where I need to do stuff - https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/4.3.3/jira/CustomisingUI.html

Neil Arrowsmith
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2016

Thanks Nic. The info at https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/4.3.3/jira/fragments/WebPanel.html and the Custom Web Item script fragment helped me achieve this. Works perfectly.

Suggest an answer