Activation Failure / 504 Gateway Timeout

dan February 20, 2019

Hi all,

Whenever I attempt to activate my JIRA instance on our local server, I get a 504 Gateway Timeout error. I used the license code earlier on in the day, and it worked fine then, but using the same code fails.

Using an evaluation license works, so I believe this is a licensing issue.

I already emailed Atlassian support directly and I was pointed to post here to get support.

Dan

2 answers

0 votes
Jamie Heutmaker December 6, 2019

This error drove me crazy but was resolved by disabling setting to go to Atlassian Marketplace.
See https://confluence.atlassian.com/upm/configuring-marketplace-connectivity-306350947.html  This was occurring in a Jira container so I saw and tried other solutions related to NGINX. But this simple solution worked for me. 

CITTI Dokunet December 19, 2019

link does not work

Jamie Heutmaker December 19, 2019

https://confluence.atlassian.com/upm/configuring-marketplace-connectivity-306350947.html. The link name looks the same as what I posted but I did have trouble as well with the link above. This link worked in my browser.

0 votes
Moga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 20, 2019

Hi Dan,

Updating the license on JIRA does nothing at the backend to connect to any of the Atlassian ecosystems. Basically, JIRA will update the database and that is it. Please provide a screenshot of the 504 error with the URL. If you are using a Reverse Proxy, you might want to bypass it to make sure proxy is not being the culprit here.

And this is the steps to bypass the Proxy; How to bypass a Proxy and SSL to test network connectivity

Cheers,
Mogavenasan

dan February 21, 2019

Hi Mogavenasan,

I believe this must be a server-side bug, in that case.

Here are the steps to reproduce:

1. Set up a server with very little RAM on any major cloud provider.
  2. Activate the server with the given code from Atlassian.com.
  3. Destroy this server.
  4. Set up another server with acceptable benchmarks (2GB RAM+, etc.).
  5. Attempt to use the same code in (2) to activate the server and observe a 504 Gateway Timeout.
  6. Attempt to use an evaluation code to activate the server and the activation succeeds.

Dan

Moga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 21, 2019

Heya Dan,

Let's try to understand the 504 Gateway Timeout - a 504 Gateway Timeout Error is an HTTP response status code indicating that a server, which is currently acting as a gateway or proxy, did not receive a timely response from another server further upstream; taken from 504-gateway-timeout-error.

From there we can derive that the problem can't be the application and it has something to do with the network. Since you are installing JIRA on a Cloud platform, it could be the network between the server to the client (web browser). 

Cheers,
Mogavenasan

Suggest an answer