Actions without Permissions

Hannes October 2, 2019

Hey everybody,

I have a question regarding Permissions: In my project I'm Project Admin but I have no permission for linking Issues. So I can't do that.

1) Is this the default behavior in JIRA? Or is it possible to do e.g. linking Issues without this permission in your projects?

2) How does this behave for the JIRA Global Admin? Is the permission scheme relevant for him/her, or can she do 'whatever he/she wants to do?' 

Thanks a lot in regards,

Hannes

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2019

Being a JIRA admin or project admin doesn't give you permission to do anything no directly related the that role. The issue permission scheme controls everything related to working with issues. Giving admins blanket access is a very poor security model. 

Hannes October 2, 2019

Hey Joe,

so thanks for your answer. So is this correct?

- If the JIRA Global Admin has not the permission to link issues, he can't do this action

- But as a Global Admin he can modify the scheme to grant this permission to himself

Is my understandind correct?

Best,

Hannes

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2019

Yes, the the JIRA admin can give himself permission, but that isn't a good design. Unless you have a very small instance the JIRA admin shouldn't have a reason to work issues in most projects. I have a project for people to request changes/updates to JIRA and the admin works issues in that project.

The JIRA admin creates the permission scheme, preferably using project roles and the project admin assigns users to the roles. That way the project admin has complete control over what users can do in their project. Using this model one permission scheme can be used for all projects. The JIRA admin just needs to tell all the project admins what roles can do what actions. Roles can also be used to restrict workflow transitions. 

Like Hannes likes this
Hannes October 2, 2019

Thanks a lot for your time! :)

Suggest an answer