Accidentally restored 2 mo. old database, can't remove issues

Matt Cleere February 16, 2016

Hello,

We were attempting to restore a database on our company server.  The server included a website and JIRA Agile, among other things.  While we only intended to restore the websites database backup, unfortunately, the JIRA database was "restored" as well, resulting in data that is over a month old.  We have no other copies of this data which are newer.  Here's the problem:  When viewing the Kanban for our primary project, the deleted issues are still there, but if you try to view them, move them or delete them, a red error dialog pops up saying, "This issue does not exist".  It appears that either the Kanban itself or JIRA kept its own index or record separate from the database, but it is incomplete.  I know this is really a terrible SNAFU, but can anyone give us any advice on how to get rid of these ghost issues?  Are we going to have to simply shut down the whole thing and rebuild it by hand?  Thanks for your help!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2016

You have not explained what you have done to "restore" this data, but my best guess is that you reloaded a database and then tried to use it as the back-end of a more recent JIRA.

If that's right, then try running a complete re-index of JIRA.  Run the full "lock JIRA, it will be unusable while I run" option.  That should recreate the indices (including search) from scratch and hence fix all your ghosts.

Matt Cleere February 17, 2016

Hello,

Thank you for your quick reply.  What you said, "...that you reloaded a database and then tried to use it as the back-end of a more recent JIRA.", is what I was trying to say in my original question.  Alas, this task has fallen to me, even though I am by no means qualified or experienced with the administration of JIRA.  I'm pretty sure that you summed it up nicely.

I will attempt to implement your solution and I will return with the results.

Again, thank you.

Suggest an answer