Accessing Jira with Python without importing magic library?

Enric Justiniano September 8, 2014

Hi all,

I'm trying to have access to JIRA using Python. I've found this webpage with a good explanation of how to do it including the needed libraries and the code itself. http://jira-python.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

The problem is that I'm trying to do this in windows 7 professional and I can't import the magic library. Using the terminal I've installed libmagic library and filemagic library using pip install . But when I open Python with the terminal and I try to import magic library it gives me this error:

>>> import magic
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\magic\__init__.py", line 18, in <module>
from magic.identify import Magic, MagicError
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\magic\identify.py", line 16, in <module>
from magic import api
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\magic\api.py", line 22, in <module>
raise ImportError('Unable to find magic library')
ImportError: Unable to find magic library

I've installed all the other libraries that I needed but I can't use the first line of the code: from jira.client import JIRA

because it gives me this error: ImportError: No module named jira.client.

I know the problem is that it needs the magic library because I've installed all the libraries in Linux and it works. 

Anyone have any idea of how I can solve this problem?

Thanks in Advance.

Enric Justiniano

1 answer

0 votes
Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2014

This seems like a bug, so use the bug tracker to report it (if is not already reported)

https://bitbucket.org/bspeakmon/jira-python/issues?status=new&status=open

Sadly, I cannot help you too much as I do not have time to support Windows, I am already too busy supporting the Linux and OS X platforms.

Any patch would be welcome. 

Suggest an answer