Access to backend SQL database

Keyur Patel August 3, 2015

Hi - what would be the best way to access the MSSQL/MySQL database behind the JIRA instance hosted on atlassian.net. We have one of our project hosted there, and would like to develop indicators and metrics using visualization tools like Tableau. I understand that would not be something Atlassian would provide directly, but wanted to check if there is a better work around. To my understand I would use the REST API to access the filter and parse that to our internal database. However the limitation here is that filters allow only 1000issues at once. Are there any major drawbacks to my approach? or is there a better option?

thx

KP

3 answers

0 votes
Keyur Patel August 3, 2015

Thanks Nic and Robert. I'd probably create a filter to show the updated bugs every hour(or few hours as needed) and sync my internal database.

Hoping there is no limitation on the REST request frequency, and my account will not impact your server performance. Dont want to be locked out.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2015

If you overload it, it will only fail for your other users, and your support request will get the response of "stop overloading it". But a few REST requests every hour or so is not going to cause you an issue.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2015

I'm afraid there's no answer to this.  You won't get access to the database other than through the UI or REST.

You could download and parse the backup every other day, but that does mean obsolete data and a lot of processing to load it into a database, or you could import it into another JIRA, but you'll need a licence for that and the prcess is mostly manual as your version won't match on demand...

0 votes
Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2015

You should just use the rest APIs to slurp the data you need. We don't offer raw access to your data. You could also choose to write this as an Atlassian Connect add-on though! Then you could see the live reports in your instance.

Suggest an answer