Access denied errors in mysql install for jira on debian linux

Paul Davidson May 16, 2013

Followed these instructions https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Setting+Up+a+MySQL+Database+on+Linux+for+JIRA including the troubleshooting at bottom of page.

I tested the connection on the jira db setup form - was OK. Finished the setup and got a stackdump and this error:

com.opensymphony.module.propertyset.PropertyImplementationException: SQL Exception while executing the following:SELECT ID, ENTITY_NAME, ENTITY_ID, PROPERTY_KEY, propertytype FROM propertyentry WHERE ENTITY_NAME=? AND ENTITY_ID=? (SELECT command denied to user 'jirauser'@'srdevwebd2.srphc.local' for table 'propertyentry')

Now when I browse jira at http://srdevwebd2.srphc.local:8080/ I get that error and the url shows:

http://srdevwebd2.srphc.local:8080/JiraLockedError

On the server I cannot run this command:

pauld@srdevwebd2:~$ mysql -p -u jiradbuser -h 127.0.0.1 jiradb
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'jiradbuser'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Although this works:

pauld@srdevwebd2:~$ mysql \--user=jirauser \--password=mypassword \--database=jiradb
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 152
Server version: 5.1.66-0+squeeze1 (Debian)

Copyright (c) 2000, 2012, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its
affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective
owners.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2013

You are trying three different connection settings, but only one of them is working.

Jira is trying to use 'jirauser'@'srdevwebd2.srphc.local'

Your first manual attempt is using 'jiradbuser'@'localhost'

Your second manual attempt is using (effectively) 'jirauser'@'localhost'

It looks to me like you've only granted access to the third one, so try granting access to the one you actually want to use. Remember "localhost" is not quite the same as "this computer via a name", even when you're on the same machine.

1 vote
codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2013
Perhaps JIRA has problems with special characters. Try it again with a smaller password like 'abc123'.
Ivan Perez January 28, 2015

Tried everything and your answer was correct. I had an @ symbol in the password which was causing the problem listed here. Thank you!

Metin Savignano January 19, 2017

Thanks from me, too. In my case a slash character ('/') turned out to be the problem.

0 votes
Paul Davidson December 10, 2013

This is sorted now, thanks for the answers.

0 votes
Paul Davidson May 19, 2013

Jira mysql install complete, problem was what Nic suggested:

GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE,CREATE,DROP,ALTER,INDEX on

jiradb.* TO 'jirauser'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'mypassword';
I needed to replace 'localhost' with the server name.
Thanks Nic :)

Suggest an answer