Acceptance Criteria Deleted

palesa January 23, 2020

I moved some stories from our team's old Jira board to a new board. All the Acceptance Criteria on the stories have been lost. Is there a way to revert?

2 answers

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2020

Hi @palesa

When you say moved from one board to another, do you mean moved from one project to another?

If it's board - then it depends where you're trying to view the data. For example if it's in the issue detail panel (which appears on the right-hand side) - you could try:

1. Press Options (3-dots icon) > Board Settings
  2. Select Issue Detail View from the left-hand options
  3. Add the "Acceptance Criteria" field to the "General Fields"

If this is a project - then it depends if your "Acceptance Criteria" field is on the screen(s). To check if the data is still there:

1. Go to the Issue Search page (shortcuts G+I)
  2. Ensure you're in the List View (little button to far-right on same line as search bar)
  3. Press Columns and add your "Acceptance Criteria" field to the view
  4. Search for the issues and see if the data is there

If it is, you might just need to edit the screens in the new project. See here for details on screen editing. Also see here for associating screens to an operation, incase view and edit have different setups.

If not, you could re-upload the Acceptance Criteria into the existing issues using the CSV uploader - see this page > Updating Existing Issues

Let us know if either of these help :)

Ste

palesa January 23, 2020

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ Yes I meant one project to another. The new project is on the new version of Jira software. After moving the stories, I noticed it didn't have the Acceptance Criteria field, which was subsequently added but the content was lost on the stories which were moved.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2020

Hi @palesa

This would usually point to a field which was not visible on any of the screens in the target project.

During Step 3 of an issue move, there is a screen which comes up to tell users when a new field is on the target project. I think it also tells users where data will become blank due to it not being on the "view screen" also, so it will have become blank at this point.

Your only options now will be:

1. Re-add the Acceptance Criteria into each issue individually or...
  2. Do a bulk update of the issues if you have the Acceptance Criteria saved offline in a previous export - see this page > Updating Existing Issues

I would suggest to future-proof you in future, consider having the "View Screen" for each screen scheme have all regularly used fields on it. They won't be visible unless populated, but it avoids this issue in future.

Ste

palesa January 23, 2020

Guess I'll have to start again :(.   Thanks @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2020

No problem; appreciate not what you were looking for but as I say, look to future-proof your environment to avoid these issues in future :)

Ste

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2020

I haven't done that and don't know why it would just delete the acceptance criteria, but there is no direct way to recover data that is deleted. t may be in the history of the issue. The other option is if you have a backup from before the move you can create a new instance of JIRA and import the backup and copy/paste to the production version or export the stories to a csv file and import just the acceptance criteria. The problem with the import is the stories will have new IDs. In a search you can search for the old ID and the new issue will appear, but I don't think using the old ID will work in the import from csv. 

Suggest an answer