About changes to the Select List

Jirong Hu September 21, 2015

So basically, from JIRA point of view, I see three actions:

1. Add a new entry to the list.
  2. Rename an existing entry.
  3. Remove an existing entry.

I’ve done some testing, the result is as follows:

1. When an entry is renamed, the existing records automatically have this field renamed to the new value. No issue here.
  2. When an entry is removed, the existing records will have this field empty with no value. This is NOT what we want.
  3. If we add back the removed entry, the existing records will still have this field empty with no value.

The question is how shall we handle the "Remove"? What's the best way to achieve this? Is there a way to keep the field value in the existing records when an entry is removed from the list?

Thanks

Jirong

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2015

Quite simply - do not remove them.  They have to be there to support the values in the fields. 

Disable the options you don't want to see any more, as you were told the other day when you asked a similar question.

Jirong Hu September 21, 2015

I've done some testing, Disable is exact what we want. I forgot I've posted another thread. Thanks.

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2015

The question is how shall we handle the "Remove"? What's the best way to achieve this? Is there a way to keep the field value in the existing records when an entry is removed from the list?

When you remove the Option, you are removing the Option object. That's why all Issues will lose that value. Probably you can copy that value to another field using a custom listener to listen to a change on that field.

Suggest an answer