Able to view one transition but not another even though transition conditions are the same for both

Pia Roychaudhuri
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 14, 2024

I have a transition Assign Engg to move from Solutioned to In Progress status which enables the user to also edit the Engg assignee custom field via a special screen in Jira which only users in a specific role group can execute

I reused the same transition to move status from In Progress to In Progress so they can update the Engg Assignee custom field. 

Issue:

We cannot see the transition as an option when moving status from In Progress to In Progress

We can only see the transition when moving from Solutioned to In progress

How do i resolve this?

Solutioned Transitions.pngIn Progress transitions.pngworkflow view.png

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pia Roychaudhuri
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 17, 2024

hi all

From what I have seen, you can reuse a transition within same workflow as long as it goes to the same end state

However, if you reuse the transition to move within the same end state i.e. as a loop, it does not show up as a transition, but as an action on the same end state

Hope above helps for anyone trying to accomplish the same 

1 vote
Ash Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2024

Hi @Pia Roychaudhuri 

Do you have any conditions or validators on the "Assign Eng" transition? I'd start there personally. 

If you could post a screenshot of the transition conditions and validators that would be helpful and if possible the full workflow. Feel free to blur out any details. 

KR, 

Ash

0 votes
Human _ AI-Powered Jira Cloud Assistant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2024

It looks like you're experiencing an issue with a transition that should allow updating the "Engg Assignee" custom field from the "In Progress" status to the same "In Progress" status. Let's resolve this step-by-step.

Step-by-Step Resolution

1. Check Transition Conditions: Ensure there are no conditions set on the "In Progress to In Progress" transition that might be preventing it from appearing. Conditions can include permissions, specific roles, or other criteria that need to be met.

2. Transition Permissions: Verify that the users trying to perform this transition have the necessary permissions. Since you mentioned that only users in a specific role can execute this, ensure these users belong to the correct role group and have the required permissions.

3. Transition Screens: Make sure the transition screen for the "In Progress to In Progress" transition is properly configured and associated with the transition. This screen should allow editing of the "Engg Assignee" field.

4. Workflow Validator: Check if there are any validators on the transition that might be blocking it. Validators are used to ensure that certain conditions are met before the transition is allowed to proceed.

5. Workflow Triggers: Ensure there are no workflow triggers that might interfere with the transition from "In Progress" to "In Progress."

6. Workflow Loop Transitions: Jira sometimes has issues with loop transitions (status to the same status). Ensure the loop transition is correctly set up. If necessary, recreate the transition to see if it resolves the issue.

7. Publish Workflow: After making any changes, make sure to publish the workflow. Sometimes, changes are made but not published, leading to discrepancies.

Detailed Steps for Jira Configuration:

1. Navigate to the Workflow: Go to Jira Settings > Issues > Workflows and find the workflow associated with your project.

2. Edit Workflow: Click on Edit to modify the workflow.

3. Select Transition: Click on the "In Progress" status and then on the transition arrow pointing back to "In Progress."

4. Transition Properties:

• Conditions: Ensure there are no restrictive conditions.
    • Validators: Ensure validators are not blocking the transition.
    • Post Functions: Confirm that post functions are not causing issues.
  5. Screens: Ensure the transition has a screen associated with it that includes the "Engg Assignee" field.

6. Roles and Permissions:

• Navigate to Project Settings > Permissions.
    • Ensure the role group has the necessary permissions to perform the transition.
  7. Publish Workflow: After making all changes, publish the workflow.

Additional Troubleshooting:

• Check Workflow Scheme: Ensure the correct workflow scheme is associated with your project.
  • Check Project Role Membership: Verify users are correctly assigned to the role group that has the permissions to perform the transition.

By following these steps, you should be able to identify and resolve the issue preventing the "In Progress to In Progress" transition from appearing. If you need further assistance, feel free to provide more details or ask specific questions.

0 votes
Pia Roychaudhuri
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 14, 2024

It's the same transition being reused but I cross checked and the conditions are the same

I am not using any validators, only condition is that the user needs to be part of Group called Developers

0 votes
Nicolas Grossi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2024

@Pia Roychaudhuri Welcome! Are you sure that the transition is enabled on that issue type ?

Transition can be restricted depending on the workflows and issue types. Please review them as you also copied the transition as you mentioned. 

Nicolas

Pia Roychaudhuri
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 14, 2024

It's in the same issue type and workflow that the transition is being re-used

Nicolas Grossi
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2024

@Pia Roychaudhuri check @Ash Yadav recommendations too, please

Pia Roychaudhuri
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 14, 2024

It's the same transition being reused but I cross checked and the conditions are the same

I am not using any validators, only condition is that the user needs to be part of Group called Developers :(

Nicolas Grossi
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2024

@Pia Roychaudhuri Are you sure that the change is active on the workflow ?

Nicolas

Pia Roychaudhuri
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 17, 2024

hi all

Thank you for helping me troubleshoot

From what I have seen, you can reuse a transition within same workflow as long as it goes to the same end state

However, if you reuse the transition to move within the same end state i.e. as a loop, it does not show up as a transition, but as an action on the same end state

Hope above helps for anyone trying to accomplish the same 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events