Ability to restrict projects per user but use group permissions

Hi 

We currently have two permission schemes configured for our JIRA server. 

1. Internal Staff Members 
  2. Internal Staff and External Contractors

All the external contractors are part of a "External" group, is is used for the second permission scheme, but we are trying to look into a better way without having to create multiple permission schemes so the users can view and use the different projects. 

For example; 

• External User 1 is on Project A
  • External User 2 & 3 are on Project B
  • External User 1 & 2 are on Project C

At the moment all three have visibility on all 3 projects. 

We don't have a fulltime IT person so myself and one of the other managers look after this between our other tasks. So any help is greatly appreciated 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote

Move to using Roles instead of Groups in your permission scheme.  Then you can add groups or users (or a mix) to control access.

If, for example, you say "Browse:  Role:  Users", then in project A, you add External User 1 into the role, in project B, you'd add 2 and 3, and in C, 1 and 2.

Hi Nic, Thanks for the tip, i'm having a play with this now (in some demo projects so not to effect live projects). If using Roles instead of groups do i need to use the lower role type? So if i set a permission of "Project Role (User)" for create attachments. roles developer and Administators will also be able to do this or do i need to add them in as well?

If you say "Create Attachments = Project Role (User)" and nothing else, then that means only people in the role of "User" will be able to attach files. Developers and admins will not be able to attach anything.

Thank you. That would explain the results i was getting.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,198 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot