Ability to "Assign" Issue to User at creation, only Role = Project Manager and Assignee afterwards

Phil Harman November 7, 2019

Use Case is ... 

Any member of a specified group can create issue and assign to whomever at time of issue creation.

Only Role = Project Manager OR "Users in a group" can re-assign the issue to someone else OR Any Jira User can re-assign an Issue to themselves.   

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kevin Johnson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2019

Hi @Phil Harman 

In jira Assign issue permission among the permission scheme is the thing we have to deal with in your case .

But if you set the assign issue permission for the Project Manager or a group , only they will be able to assign the issue to any of them in any situation (it dosent depend even if its issue creation).

As result when a issue is created by any one with this set of permission implemented the issue will be unassigned state initially, later a Project Manager OR "Users in a group" can modify it.

Regards,

Kevin

Phil Harman November 8, 2019

Thanks for the timely response Kevin.  The permission configuration you described is what I have in place now.   I was hoping you could describe a solution for my use case through workflow conditions and/or validator rules. 

Kevin Johnson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2019

Okay @Phil Harman Solution you're expecting can be achieved through a plugin called

ScriptRunner for Jira.

There is a Functionality called Behaviours in this Plugin.

Solution :

Go to that section and Add Behaviour - to create a new behaviour and Add Mapping to the respective project that this thing to workout.

Then Select Fields in the plugin You have created and then choose the workflow in the Guide Workflow .

Then in the Fields section select the Assignee , and Make it Read only --which will make assignee field un-editable, then in the conditions (From the above mentioned scenario), Choose conditions like workflow action and Create cause you want all users to assign the issue to whom ever they want.And also choose the Single user or a User group and make this all conditions In Except .

By this Only Role = Project Manager OR "Users in a group" can re-assign the issue to someone else OR Any Jira User can re-assign an Issue to themselves and Any member of a specified group can create issue and assign to whomever at time of issue creation. All Assignee Fields will be Read only as per condition.

!!! But there is only one Problem even after implementing this - and still this can be solved too !!!

Problem : In a view screen of a issue , when its already assigned for someone else , in the Right side panel It shows "Assign to me" -- when user clicks this the issue will be assigned to the current user .

Solution For this : In this same plugin scriptrunner , there is a option called Script Fragments and in it there is a option called Hide system or plugin ui element. 

Create a new script fragment to hide the entire People-module (that contains assignee,reporter,watchers)

In hide what : type -- peoplemodule and select 

com.atlassian.jira.jira-view-issue-plugin:peoplemodule 

and in condition---  jiraHelper.project?.key != "DEMO"

Demo--its the project key.

As Result this will hide that section and now you have attained what you have expected.

I'll attach the photos for your reference that I have tried my instance

Regards,

Kevin.20.png21.png22.png 

Suggest an answer