API changing status from Open to Done no permissions?

benb December 27, 2018

I am using the API to change a status of an issue.

If I run a transition change from In Progress to Done, it works, so does Open to In Progress.

But if I try to change from Open to Done, I will get the following 400 response:

"Can't move (SPO-835). You might not have permission, or the issue is missing required information. If you keep having this problem, contact your Jira Administrator."

If I try to change the status from Open to Done directly in JIRA, it will work.

Why is that happening?

3 answers

4 votes
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2018

Hi @benb,

Do you have any conditions, validators or transition properties set on the transition from open to done, that you do not have set on the other transition?

Are you using the same account in the gui and with the API?

benb December 27, 2018

Don't see any validators for that, and yes I am using the same account, using it's API token for basic-auth.

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2018

Are there any screens on that transition?

0 votes
Deleted user October 19, 2019

Hi @benb 

Would like to know if this issue is resolved? I am facing the same problem.

Best regards,
Abhiram

shahar rajuan February 5, 2020

I'm having the same issue, I gave my user admin permissions and I can change the issue status via the UI, but using the same user via rest-API, I get :

"errorMessages":["Can't move (WEB-2328). You might not have permission, or the issue is missing required information. If you keep having this problem, contact your Jira Administrator."],"errors"

This is my curl:

curl --request POST \
--url 'https://centrica-bs.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/issue/WEB-2328/transitions' \
--user 'builder@energy.com:FuRUxfXXXXXXX5A3A3' \
--header 'Accept: application/json' \
--header 'Content-Type: application/json' \
--data '{
"transition": {
"id": "41"
}
}'

Luis De Siqueira February 9, 2021

Also facing this issue and with the same user I can do this in the GUI but not in the REST API.

0 votes
Deleted user December 27, 2018

Hi @benb

Could be a number or reasons. Are you authenticating with the same user as you are performing this action in Jira? Can you show me what your request looks like? 

Kind regards
Jorden

Edit: forgot to look at question tags, so now know you use cloud :)

Suggest an answer