API access not working for one project

John Jurisoo January 22, 2020

Using both the web and REST API, I am able to access almost all projects on my test server as an authenticated user without issue.  The log shows that basic authentication is working for my API testing.

I imported one project using the Project Configurator add-in.  This project is accessible from the web, but the API acts like I have no ability to access it, even as a system admin.  If I request a project list, I can see that it exists, but any request that involves data on the project returns nothing without any errors returned or in the logs.

For Example:

http://MyServer/rest/api/2/issue/createmeta?projectKeys=MYPROJ

returns

{"expand":"projects","projects":[]}

Done anyone have any suggestions on what needs to be changed to access this project via the API?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

As it turns out, the admins of the source server that the project was exported from deleted or renamed the default Jira Roles.  This caused a permission issue in the test server.  They have a very complicated Jira configuration.

This doesn't explain why web access worked, but does explain why the API didn't  Since several permissions for accessing projects and issues were not granted, I never should have been able to access the project from the web.

Cyber BBH February 16, 2023

Great find by you- a similar scenario happened to us and it turned out to be altered permission scheme that prevented API access.

0 votes
Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2020

Hi @John Jurisoo , 

Did you login to Jira first before executing that rest endpoint. I was able to reproduce it two ways:

• If I'm not logged in
  • If the project doesn't exist or if the project key is wrong. 

If I am logged in and the project key is correct, it will return the data.  

As I said, the logs show the correct users are properly authenticated, and the project key correctly matches the key returned by:

http://myserver/rest/api/2/project

I am also able to access other protected projects, which require authentication.  I am currently using Curl to test this, but I have used both the Python and C# Jira APIs with similar results.

Suggest an answer