(API) Is there a way to create a release and assign tickets to that release without sending emails?

Amy Schultz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 8, 2019

Hey all,

Presently, I'm using the API to release a number of project boards by creating a version and then assigning that fixVersion to a number of issues. This results in many change notification emails being sent to watchers of those issues, which is different from the behavior when clicking the "release" button in the UI.

Is there a different flow one should follow when releasing via the API to have the same behavior? (where releasing does not trigger many emails to be sent)

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2019

Hello Amy and welcome to the Community!

Presently, there is an endpoint within the REST API that does allow you to suppress the notifications to the user upon editing an issue. This endpoint only supports this on the PUT verb/call. To do this, you’ll want to set the notifyUsers to false within your request. Further information on this may be found within the documentation at PUT /rest/api/3/issue/{issueIdOrKey} | notifyUsers.

The above shows the following may be flagged as true or false:

notifyUsers

boolean

Indicates whether a notification email about the issue update is sent to all watchers. To disable the notification, administer Jira or administer project permissions are required. If the user doesn't have the necessary permission the request is ignored.

Default: true

This endpoint with this flag should allow you to edit multiple issues without sending multiple notifications to any users watching said issues.

I hope this proves helpful and you’re able to start suppressing notifications of REST API updates to issues.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Amy Schultz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 16, 2019

Thanks Stephen, I'll give that a shot.

Like Stephen Sifers likes this

Suggest an answer