A vulnerable issue for Path Traversal,

willie March 8, 2023

Hi All

I have a vulnerable issue for Path Traversal, how can I fix this issue with on-premise environment (v7.6.13)

[JSDSERVER-6589] URL path traversal allows information disclosure - CVE-2019-15004 - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.

PS: Hopefully  you can give me any user-guideline, thanks. 

Thanks,

Willie 

1 answer

1 vote
Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2023

Hi @willie ,

Welcome to the community. Your Jira instance needs to be upgraded asap. This vulnerability is known for more than two years.

all information about it should be documented here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/jira-service-desk-security-advisory-2019-11-06-1047539905.html

willie March 8, 2023

Hi @Kai Becker 

Thanks very much for your help, please do me a favor again, what will be happened  if  I add rules to JIRA system as following codes.

I can't update to latest version, because my Jira is on-premise(v7.6.13), in other words, I have to use this rules for a  vary long time,  Will the JIRA application be affected?

Please give me more messages about this issue, thanks again

<rule>
    <from>/servicedesk/.*\.jsp.*</from>
    <to type="temporary-redirect">/</to>
</rule>

willie March 8, 2023

Hi @Kai Becker 

Sorry bother you again, if I want to add the rules into the urlrewriter.xml , how can I do with multiple "Rules"

For example: this is my JIRA urlrewriter.xml content, how to add a another rule

<urlrewrite>
<!-- Caching of static resources -->
<class-rule class="com.atlassian.jira.plugin.webresource.CachingResourceDownloadRewriteRule"/>
<!-- @since 5.0 [KickAss]-->
<rule>
  <from>^/issues(\?.*)?$</from>
  <to type="permanent-redirect">issues/$1</to>
</rule>

### Could I add this codes under the this position

<rule>
    <from>/servicedesk/.*\.jsp.*</from>
    <to type="temporary-redirect">/</to>
</rule>

</urlrewrite>

Thanks again ,

Willie

Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2023

Hi @willie ,

sorry for the late response. I'm not an sysadmin, so I can't  give you any tips/hints on url rewrite stuff. Sorry about that.

But I would highly recommend, that your Jira should not be accessible outside your company network. Jira 7.6.x reached End of Life on 16 November, 2019, so there might be a lot more vulnerabilities in your current setup.

willie March 14, 2023

Hi @Kai Becker 

Sorry to bother you again, I've tried many times with production and staging server but unfortunately, it isn't working for me, please do me a favor, thanks again.

PS: Please check my test recording 

image.pngimage.png

willie March 14, 2023

Hi @Kai Becker 

I've tried to disable the jira-dnd-attachment-plugin but it still show "Path Traversalissue, please help me. thanks. 

```

bash /opt/jira/bin/start-jira.sh --disable-addons=com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-dnd-attachment-plugin

```

image.png

Suggest an answer