A complex form for Jira to create task and subtasks

Shahram Atrian September 23, 2019

Hi, I need to create a form on Jira (or confluence) with the following capabilities:

1) Create a Jira task upon submit

2) Create a few subtasks for the generated task

3) Map some input fields to the task labels (i.e. add labels to task based on the input fields)

4) Dropdown field filled with the name of Epics from multiple projects

5) Create the task in a certain project based on the input fields (e.g. if form is not in Jira)

etc.

Do you know any plugin to meet the above requirements?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2019

Hello @Shahram Atrian

Thank you for reaching out.

I understand that you would like to submit a form to your JIRA site which would trigger a new issue creation, sub-task creation together with some pre-defined field values depending on the values filled in the form. Is it correct?

You can check in the community article below some free online forms that you can use to create issues in JIRA:

Five Options for Creating Jira issues from Online Forms

In fact, the big challenge you are facing here is to achieve the automation to fill the issue fields and create sub-tasks based in the form description. To achieve this, I would recommend you to use an automation add-on, like Automation for JIRA or Scriptrunner.

Using Automation for JIRA, you will be able to automatically create sub-task and fill the issue fields based on the fields of the first issue created.

Let e know if this information helps.

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2019

There are far more than 5 options to create Jira issues from Online forms and the article mentioned here is not very representative

Even if you do a simple search on Atlassian marketplace you will see that the number of options is much wider - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?query=forms

What you say is quite possible with ConfiForms, if you decide to go with building your data collecting form in Confluence (with integrations to create Jira issues in your Jira server on certain conditions/events you define)

If you decide to go with Jira to build the forms then yes, Automation for JIRA or Scriptrunner are your friends

Like # people like this
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 25, 2019

Hello Alex,

Indeed, there are far more than 5 options to create Jira issue from Online forms using apps from Atlassian Marketplace.

In the article provided, the fifth option suggests you search for add-ons that meets your needs, describing there's a bunch of them in Atlassian Marketplace:

While I am associated with ThinkTilt, the makers of ProForma, if you search for forms in the Atlassian Marketplace, you'll find multiple options.

That being said, thank you for suggesting the ConfiForms add-on. :)

Shahram Atrian September 25, 2019

Thanks, Alex and Petter. I tried Automation for Jira and it does much of the job. I also used Dynamic Forms for Jira because I wanted the task to be created in certain projects based on an input field.

A remaining issue is filling dropdown fields with data coming from external data sources such as LDAP and REST APIs. It seems it can be done with Elements Connect plugin but it's rather expensive. Do you know any other options?

Shahram Atrian October 14, 2019

I'd like to update my reply based on my recent findings because it might be helpful for other people in a similar situation.

I combined capabilities of Automation for Jira to automate the task as much as possible, i.e. creating subtasks automatically populated with fields from their parent tasks, and updating a task automatically after creation, updating built-in and custom fields etc.

I also managed to have more dynamic fields (usually dropdowns) and populate dropdowns conditionally based on the value on other fields (i.e. cascading dropdowns), by using Elements Connect. Elements Connect allows the user to have fields filled with data from different sources such as databases, JSON, XML and CSV files, REST APIs, etc.

What I found about using REST APIs is that although it's rather flexible it doesn't necessarily applicable for all situations. For example, if you want to use a REST API that uses OAuth and the REST API provider updates the authorization token regularly then you would need to update the token on your Elements Connect data source too, otherwise, it wouldn't retrieve data through REST API. So, it would be more applicable in situations that the REST API provider uses basic authorization, or does not expire authorization tokens frequently.

Like # people like this
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
October 17, 2019

Thank you very much for the details on how you managed to achieve your need, Shahram. Please, always feel welcome to provide your insights and experience with the community.

Additionally, let me know in case you have any other questions and have a nice day! :)

Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2019

@Shahram Atrian 

I'm really happy to hear Elements Connect meets your needs. You might be interested in looking at our app Elements Copy & Sync, since it allows allows you to create linked issues with specific fields copied into the new issues.

If you have a moment, we hope you can leave a review on the Marketplace for Elements Connect so other users can see the feedback from current users.

Laura, from Elements

Suggest an answer