500 error when filter has more than 20 results on a dashboard

Andrew Thorne January 11, 2018

Hello,

My dashboard show the results of several filters. At the bottom of each section (filter) there is the total number of issues selected by the filter. Clicking on that total normally shows the Search for Issues page with the filter and the results. However, now, if the filter results are more than 20 then clicking on that total gives a 500 error  with the message

com.atlassian.jira.util.dbc.Assertions$NullArgumentException: stringValue should not be null!

On the dashboard the filter selection will display the first 10 items from the filter and I can scroll to the second and third pages (thus showing all issues selected by the filter) without any problem. I can also select the filter on the Search for Issues page and the results are shown without any problems.

We are using version 7.3.6 build 73017.

I have a PDF with all the error messages (288kb) and a support zip (200mb) if that is any help.

Thanks for any insight in to resolving this issue you can give.

2 answers

0 votes
Serj October 8, 2019

@Andrew Thorne  I have some problem. What like you resolve it?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2019

Serj,

I'm sorry to hear you're having the same issue. I don't have any information on if Andrew was able to resolve his case, since the support ticket timed out before we had a chance to hear back from Andrew.

I would recommend obtaining the messages from the error logs as I suggested earlier, and raise a new question about this, or contact support directly if you are eligible for support.

That way we can have a better idea of why it might be happening in your environment.

Regards,

Shannon

Serj October 12, 2019

Good day, Shannon

Thank for you concern. I resolved my problem.

My situation was in the wrong type of field search.

Example: cf = text

JQL cf in (111,112,124) - browser find result but not show after direct link

JQL cf in ("111","112","124") - work correction

Like Shannon S likes this
0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2018

Hi Andrew,

Could you have a look at the log file again and let us know any ones that you see when the issue occurs that starts with "ERROR" as well as the "Caused by" line at the bottom? This will help us to narrow down the issue.

Could you also let us know if this occurs on every dashboard, or only specific ones? 

Are other users able to replicate the problem?

Regards,

Shannon

Andrew Thorne January 23, 2018

Hi, Shannon,

Sorry for taking so long to reply. The log appears to be filled with "Broken Pipe" error messages. This is the last one:

Error serving file for path /84210/84210_image-2017-09-25-16-04-01-821.png: com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.apache.catalina.connector.ClientAbortException: java.io.IOException: Broken pipe

com.atlassian.jira.issue.attachment.AttachmentReadException: com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.apache.catalina.connector.ClientAbortException: java.io.IOException: Broken pipe

at com.atlassian.jira.issue.attachment.store.DefaultFileSystemAttachmentStore$3.call(DefaultFileSystemAttachmentStore.java:153)

at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.Executors$DefaultSubmitter$CallableRunner.run(Executors.java:62)

at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LimitedExecutor$Runner.run(LimitedExecutor.java:93)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Caused by: com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.apache.catalina.connector.ClientAbortException: java.io.IOException: Broken pipe

at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultAttachmentManager$7.get(DefaultAttachmentManager.java:733)

at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultAttachmentManager$7.get(DefaultAttachmentManager.java:727)

at com.atlassian.jira.issue.attachment.store.DefaultFileSystemAttachmentStore$2.get(DefaultFileSystemAttachmentStore.java:128)

at com.atlassian.jira.issue.attachment.store.DefaultFileSystemAttachmentStore$2.get(DefaultFileSystemAttachmentStore.java:125)

at com.atlassian.jira.issue.attachment.store.DefaultFileSystemAttachmentStore$3.call(DefaultFileSystemAttachmentStore.java:151)

Caused by: org.apache.catalina.connector.ClientAbortException: java.io.IOException: Broken pipe

at org.apache.catalina.connector.OutputBuffer.realWriteBytes(OutputBuffer.java:380)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.ByteChunk.flushBuffer(ByteChunk.java:420)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.ByteChunk.append(ByteChunk.java:345)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.OutputBuffer.writeBytes(OutputBuffer.java:405)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.OutputBuffer.write(OutputBuffer.java:393)

at org.apache.commons.io.IOUtils.copyLarge(IOUtils.java:1384)

at org.apache.commons.io.IOUtils.copy(IOUtils.java:1357)

at com.atlassian.jira.web.servlet.AbstractViewFileServlet.copyAll(AbstractViewFileServlet.java:193)

at com.atlassian.jira.web.servlet.AbstractViewFileServlet.lambda$streamFileData$0(AbstractViewFileServlet.java:110)

at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultAttachmentManager$7.get(DefaultAttachmentManager.java:731)

... 9 more

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Broken pipe

at sun.nio.ch.FileDispatcherImpl.write0(Native Method)

at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.write(SocketDispatcher.java:47)

at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.writeFromNativeBuffer(IOUtil.java:93)

at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.write(IOUtil.java:65)

at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.write(SocketChannelImpl.java:471)

... 10 filtered

... 19 more

2017-12-07 13:35:26,631 http-nio-127.0.0.1-8080-exec-75
Andrew Thorne January 23, 2018

This error only appears to be on certain dashboards as I use another dashboard and that does not show this problem. Other users are able to reproduce this error with  this dashboard.

Thanks for your help,

Andrew

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 23, 2018

Andrew,

Thank you! It looks like a similar bug has been raised with the same error, but not the same cause, so I'd like to raise a support ticket so we can have a look at the support zip and further.

Please have a look at your email for my response.

Once the issue is resolved please feel free to share the answer here so it can help future users.

Regards,

Shannon

cyberjihad2 January 31, 2018

Hello Colleges, the same bug, but when you are trying to open finded  filter in issues=> ManageFilters=>search

Is there some resolution?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 31, 2018

Hi Arseniy,

Could you please share with me the error messages as I asked from Andrew earlier? You can check the Jira Server Application Logs, and when you trigger the error, look for anything that starts with ERROR and ends with "Caused by:" and then we can know exactly what is causing the problem.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer