5 Stories, the same subtasks. How to copy the subtasks from one story to the remaining 4 stories?

Claire Buckley May 3, 2018

The team have identified the high level stories - say 5 stories.

Now we've drilled down into the sub task level, and for these stories, the sub tasks will be the same.  

How do I attach a copy of these subtasks to each of my chosen stories IN BULK?

5 answers

1 vote
Vinay March 28, 2022

Sorry for the late reply.

There is an option called Clone Story from which you can copy the whole story after you create a story along with subtasks. Then just change the story name and description.

1 vote
Jeff Condit September 6, 2019

You could:

1. Write out the basic sub-tasks once
  2. Clone them
  3. Bulk Change>Move and change the Parent.

Repeat for each story.

It has a few steps but may be quicker.

1 vote
Aaron Jestrab June 6, 2018

Once you have created your stories you can get the link or ID of those stories by exporting the stories to CSV.  Using that information you could do an import using a CSV and essentially create all your sub-tasks as you want them for each story, this could give you the flexibility your looking for. 

0 votes
Aaron Jestrab October 4, 2018

@Claire Buckley With these stories and SubTasks, are these sort of a template that could be reused over and over?  If so you might look into the Add-On "The Scheduler" it makes it really easy to create scheduled tasks (with subtasks as well) that can be recreated on demand (Manual Schedule).  Pretty easy to use but you have to configure the scheduled tasks / sub-tasks per project.

Aaron Jestrab October 4, 2018

I just re-read the info you submitted, i don't believe the scheduler would work as you already have your stories created. 

0 votes
Oman Costa May 3, 2018

Hi Claire,

Did you try cloning the story? As far as I remember it also clones all the subtasks included

Hi!  Yes I can clone the story with the sub tasks, but I can't copy all the subtasks to all the different, already created user stories.

Cloning just creates another copy of one story.  And even then, I can only move its sub tasks to only one other story.  I have 45 sub tasks to write individually and I want to do that in bulk as each story I already have, has the same subtasks across each.

I essentially want to COPY subtasks from one user story to MULTIPLE other User stories that I already have created.

The planning was done at high level, now the sub tasks need to be added for each of these.

I don't want to clone more stories - I want to keep all the good stuff - comments, attachments in the originally created stories and just add the same subtasks across each.

In Bulk!

:-)

Like Shelene Lee likes this
Michael Green October 1, 2018

Claire,

Did you ever get an answer to this ?  i.e. how to copy sub-tasks from one story to another ?

Regards

Michael

Claire Buckley October 2, 2018

No Michael.  Nothing worked for me.  There is Aaron's suggestion below - creating a CSV table - by downloading the one story with all the subtasks in it and then uploading it again with the target story ids.  But I didn't find that easy and I was so concerned that I would mess up and loose the information in the already created, commented on target stories.

I wish there was a way to copy and attach sub-tasks to multiple other stories.

Like # people like this
Tom Leantwo March 14, 2023

there is no clone option as you can see here. Please add the "Clone" option if you think it is possible.

image.png

Suggest an answer