401 error in downloading attachment contetn through RestAPI

Asif Diwan September 24, 2019

I am trying to download attachment of issue through code using Attachment Content URL.

But for some file names having Special Characters like '(',')' or chinese Literals like '機能', I get 401 unauthorized message.

Let me know if there is some way through which we can get attachment content.

1 answer

0 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 25, 2019

Hello @Asif Diwan ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community. 

From information provided so far I understand that:

1. You are using the issue REST API endpoint to get the attachment content URL
  2. When trying to download the attachment content URL for files having non-standard characters the call fails and you get error 401

Can you kindly confirm my understanding is correct?

In case it is, can you check if this works using Curl?

Please see below example for details on how to do so. Also, make sure to remove the sensitive data as I did below and paste the results in your reply:

curl -D- -L -u EMAIL:API-TOKEN -H "Accept: application/json" https://HOSTNAME/secure/attachment/10000/ycBsQT7.jpg -o file.jpg

% Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current

Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed

0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0

HTTP/2 302 

server: AtlassianProxy/1.15.8.1
cache-control: no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate
content-type: image/jpeg
strict-transport-security: max-age=315360000; includeSubDomains; preload
date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 14:45:19 GMT
atl-traceid: babfca7aab34c384

[REMOVED SENSITIVE CONTENT]

HTTP/2 200 
date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 14:45:20 GMT
content-type: image/jpeg
content-length: 34498

[REMOVED]

content-disposition: inline; filename="ycBsQT7.jpg"
cache-control: private
x-envoy-upstream-service-time: 244
strict-transport-security: max-age=31536000; preload
x-content-type-options: nosniff
x-xss-protection: 1; mode=block
server: globaledge-envoy

100 34498  100 34498    0     0  31591      0  0:00:01  0:00:01 --:--:-- 31591

In case my understanding is not correct. Please provide more details.

Cheers,
Dario

Asif Diwan October 3, 2019

Hi @Dario B ,

Thanks for your reply.

I have an addon and using addon key we are trying to get attachment using rest api end point.

So far I was successful in getting all attachments using this rest api end point.

But for file having special characters in its name I get 401 unauthorized request error.

Thanks,

Asif

Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2019

Thanks for your reply @Asif Diwan ,

I will try to reproduce the issue having a file name with a comma, also if there are chances that this is failing since the comma can be seen as a delimiter, like explained also in:

For the rest, could you kindly provide more details on what is the 機能 character and what other characters are known to causing this issue? 

Cheers,
Dario

Dario B
Atlassian Team
October 4, 2019

Hi @Asif Diwan ,

I cannot reproduce the issue. Attaching an image having a comma in the filename to a Jira issue and then downloading it using REST API works fine on my side (I use Linux). Please see below for more details:

File name: cannot-quote,list.png

Getting attachment content url:

"content": "https://NAME.atlassian.net/secure/attachment/10005/cannot-quote%2Clist.png",
"thumbnail": "https://NAME.atlassian.net/secure/thumbnail/10005/cannot-quote%2Clist.png"

Downloading the file:

curl -D- -L -u EMAIL:API-TOKEN -H "Accept: application/json" https://NAME.atlassian.net/secure/attachment/10005/cannot-quote%2Clist.png -o image.png

% Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed

0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0 HTTP/2 302 

server: AtlassianProxy/1.15.8.1
cache-control: no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate
content-type: image/png

[REMOVED SENSITIVE CONTENT]

0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0 HTTP/2 200 

date: Fri, 04 Oct 2019 16:33:28 GMT
content-type: image/png
content-length: 37963

[REMOVED]

content-disposition: attachment; filename="cannot-quote,list.png"
[...]

100 37963  100 37963    0     0  30129      0  0:00:01  0:00:01 --:--:-- 72448

Now, if this still does not work for you, can you kindly let me know which Operating System you are using and how you are downloading the attachment?

Also, can you kindly perform the same test I did above using Curl and copy paste the results (removing sensitive data) into your answer? 

Cheers,
Dario

Asif Diwan October 7, 2019

Don't use CURL @Dario B 

Instead use Jira Rest API to get attachment.

Use Addon Key for authentication. As an addon developer I don't have client's credentials. So I have to use Addon User and Key details for authentication.

Let me know if you need more details.

Thanks,

Asif

Dario B
Atlassian Team
October 8, 2019

Hi @Asif Diwan ,

Please notice that Curl is just one of the many software available that you can use in order to send a REST API request to a given endpoint. 

Being curl a text only software, I asked to use it to try to reproduce the issue so that it would be possible to easily paste the results of the test in here. 

This is because I already tried reproducing the issue by attaching a file with a comma in the name but everything worked fine for me (the curl output is available in my previous post).

Therefore, I need you to run the same test so that we can try narrow down the issue: 

• if everything works fine when using curl then the attachment endpoint is behaving as expected and problem is on your side (with the add-on code or anything similar)
  • if you can reproduce the issue using curl as well then the problem is with the REST API endpoint (our side)

Also, please notice that I only tried to reproduce the issue by attaching a file having a comma in the name. As already mentioned: 

could you kindly provide more details on what is the 機能 character and what other characters are known to causing this issue? 

Finally, for the future, please notice that this is not the best place to get help on development  related questions. The right resources are listed in https://developer.atlassian.com/resources. 

Specifically:

Matthew Grover August 9, 2021

Just in case anyone else runs into this, for commas at least, in the "content" field of an attachment, they will be uri encoded so %2c instead of , so when you send the download request to Jira with the %2c still there, it can't find that attachment. 

My solution using Node.js was to run the content urls through decodeURIComponent before making the request for download.

Matt

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer