Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

2 fields but it's mandatory to have at least one filled in

Hi,

I have these two fields Parent Link and Epic Link for an issue type and I would like to do that at least, one of those two, needs to be filled in. Let's say:

• Issue #1 has Parent Link, so Epic Link is empty
  • I want to set Epic Link with a value and set Parent Link to empty
  • One of these two must always have a value

I don't want to do the validation on a transition because the users are allowed to change these fields any time. A couple of questions

• Is this possible without an Automation rule? I wanna avoid this approach because it would be triggered after the change is done, so people may overlook it.
  • Can it be done with no extra plug-ins/add-ons?

Thank you!

2 answers

One possible way is, if you have Script runner installed you can set Behavior script for those fields.

Thanks :) The requirement is with no extra plug-ins or add-ons.

0 votes
Daniel Ebers Community Leader Jun 12, 2021

There are some requirements from you initial post which will make it impossible (if I am not missing something):

- not in a workflow
 - not a validator/condition
- not using Automation
- without Apps
- directly, anytime an user does a change

I think it cries for some kind of listener, this however will not be possible without App.

Have you made any progress meanwhile?
At least for Automation I'd say it is not the perfect approach, it happens after a transition, a condition would work better (but as you said only during a transition).

Hi @Daniel Ebers 

I probably misled you by waying "no extra plug-ins or add-ons". Workflows and Jira Automation are welcome. I usually manage mandatory fields in each Issue type field configuration of a Project, but I know it can't be done like that if you want an "or mandatory" involving more than 1 field.

I'm striving for a reactive idea in Automation: given a timeframe of 2 minutes, if both fields are empty, take the value of the last non-empty field and set it back. Then notify the user to solve the issue.

It's not the best approach, but I think it can do the work.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you