1. How do I get a list of all the fields in JIRA? 2. How to I find usage for each field?

I am looking to clean up JIRA and create a baseline to onboard new projects with all the extra distractions of unused fields.

1. How can I get a list of all the fields in JIRA?

- per issuetype

2. How do I get the usage report for each field? 

3. Are there any adverse affects to hiding unused fields?

Thanks -d

2 answers

4 votes

Good plan.  But I'm afraid it's not as easy as it should be.

There are loads of types of field in Jira as far as we humans are concerned:

• System fields that Jira always has on issues.  There are four broad groups of these
    • Structural ones that are not really fields - Project, issue type and status.
    • Non editable fields - created, updated
    • Mandatory system field - summary, resolution (ok, resolution is not mandatory, but you should treat it as a field you always have to think about, whatever your users say about how much they don't want to use it)
    • Optional system fields - assignee, reporter, environment, due date, comments
    • Note that applications and add-ons can add to those - Service Desk, Software and Portfolio will add things like Epic Link, initiative, request, yadayadayada
  • Custom fields

However, the only system field I would bother analysing is "environment".  The others are either too useful to get rid of, or you can't.

So, to answer question 1:  Go to Admin -> Issues -> Custom fields.  That's the list of fields you want to look at (and tack "environment" on to the list)

Question 2

For each field, run the JQL  "<field> is not empty".  This will return a list of all the issues with content for that field.

This does not tell you a massive amount though.  I find it far more useful to save each one as a filter, then go to a new dashboard and add a "filter statistics" gadget, using "project" as the statistic.  This way, it tells you the number of issues using the field by project.  Far easier to read, and can lead you to "hey, you guys are the only people using this field, how about we rationalise it" conversations.

Question 3:

Not hugely, but it can make searches a bit more frustrating for a user, if they assume that a field they see in their project exists in someone else's project. 

You won't get any technical gain from hiding fields, it just simplifies some of the views for users.  If you want to make things a bit faster, change the field contexts, so they only belong to a sub-set of projects and/or issue types.

Great question and feedback!

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

561 views 1 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you