Why does every agile tool miss this one critical feature?

Deleted user August 10, 2018

You create a ticket and it doesn't appear on your board and you want to know why or what steps you need to do to 'make it so'. This happens constantly in every agile tool and it is maddening!!!

3 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2018

You can't do it in Jira, beyond showing the users the JQL behind the board.  There could be one or many reasons an issue is not there and it could be because it's not included or excluded.

0 votes
Deleted user August 13, 2018

The problem is that this is a sizable percentage of the customers. What would be extremely helpful is something like a link `Why can't I find this on my board?` that pops up with exactly what needs to be changed.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2018

In all the Agile tools I've used (I'm not going to claim that is a big number), yes, that happens.  But I only see it when people have over-engineered their system and not taken account of what people do in real life. 

In Jira terms, it happens mostly because someone has tried to be clever with the workflow or board filter. Usually with Scrum boards.

For example:

"We'll ignore issues that are set like that for now" - not necessarily a bad thing, there's a good argument for "it doesn't go on the scrum board if the story points are zero" in places.  But when I saw that, they'd also removed story points from the "create" screen because developers are supposed to add them, not users.  Even when they put them back, they forgot to put a message for "this won't appear on scrum boards until there are SPs on it".  And they didn't bother to set up any form of "hey, these issues don't have SPs, please do something about it" reporting.

"We don't need that status on the board".  Well, yes, you do, if you want the board to work properly.  And yes, even the "cancelled" ones.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events