Display the group name mapped to an assignee

Abhinav Singh April 8, 2019

Hi

I want to display the Group name of an assignee so that every time assignee changes his/her correct group name is displayed.

6 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2019

@Ravi Varma  - indeed.  Also, even if you do have a person who is only in one group (which I think we agree is unlikely), the API will still return a list, so the code will have to cope with multiple entries.

0 votes
Ravi Varma
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2019

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

Looks like @Abhinav Singh  would like to show the groups that the assignee is part of (as a custom field), by using custom coded listeners. In that case, he has a valid use case.

But, I agree with you that a user in JIRA cannot be enforced to be part of a single group. If @Abhinav Singh is trying to enforce single user - single group rule then this is misleading and he should be aware of how user management is done in JIRA.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2019

I doubt you will be able to restrict users to just one group - they need to be in at least one group just to log in, and even those of us who use roles as much as possible find ourselves with most users ending up in several groups.

0 votes
Ravi Varma
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2019

Hi @Abhinav Singh ,

You are happy with the answer, then can you accept it.

If you still need some inputs, please post it and I will try to share my thoughts.

Regards,

Ravi Varma

0 votes
Abhinav Singh April 8, 2019

Thanks Ravi.

I will make sure users are not repeated in Groups. you are right :

"To populate another custom field with the group names that the assignee is part of"

0 votes
Ravi Varma
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 8, 2019

Hi @Abhinav Singh ,

Please note that an user can belong to multiple groups. In this case, your requirement needs clarity. 

If you think that when assignee is changed and you want to populate another custom field with the group names that the assignee is part of, then you may want to develop a listener.

Let me know, if you are thinking in this direction.

Regards,

Ravi Varma

Suggest an answer