Best Practices - Assigning Tasks in JIRA

Patrick Dufresne May 1, 2018

Hi, 

Looking to learn more about best practices for when it comes to assigning tasks and being aware of what's in someones court.

Currently if I look at my personal board for open issues I have some tasks that are there but there are lots of other efforts that I'm leading in a sense that don't show up in this board since I'm not the assignee. What's typical for someone to do? Assign the epic to the owner of the epic and from there the epic will always be in this filter?

The end goal is that we have an accurate representation of what's in someones court and even though a component is assigned to someone else the task as a whole is still owned by me.

Thoughts on best practices? How does everyone else deal with this?

2 answers

0 votes
Patrick Dufresne May 8, 2018

I'm just in the internal systems department, we don't have sprints either. For me it's just  a matter of how to organize tasks that I run but aren't in my court. Perhaps assigning the epic to myself and the sub tasks to others is the way to do it?

0 votes
Consulente Atlassian May 7, 2018

Who are you towards others? Are you the product owner for example ? How do you work ? In scrum for example ? Depends on how you position yourself in relation to the activity you want to track. If you are a PO of a Scrum team, it is obvious that your commitment is "transversal" to everyone's activity in your theme during the sprint time.

Suggest an answer