Automation for Jira - Clone issue and set fixVersion in original issue and clone.

Sergei Gridnevskii
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2021

We have two products that are quite similar but still need to be tested separately. When we have a task or a bug developer adds both product versions to Fix Versions field in Jira. However QA needs to test both versions separately and they asked me to clone the issue when it moves to Ready for Test step.

So I created a special rule for Automation for Jira. It took me some time to figure out how to make it working, I hope it will save your time if you need to do the same.

1. The field {{issue.fixVersions}} is a list. If you just use {{issue.fixVersions.name}} it returns all versions merged without separator. I use this string to check if both products are in this issue: 

IF {{issue.fixVersions.name}} contains "Prod1" AND {{issue.fixVersions.name}} contains "Prod2"

2. I clone issue and Choose field to set Fix Versions. For value I use {{issue.fixVersions.last.name}}

I tried More options and tried to "set" and "remove", but nothing worked - no errors, no results.

3. I link issue and most recently created issue 

4. I edit original issue and this time More options work fine

{
"update": {
"fixVersions":
[{
"set": [{"name": "{{issue.fixVersions.first.name}}"}]
}]
}
}

0 answers

Suggest an answer