Atlassian teams are coming to Jira Software!

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 26, 2023

Soon we will be bringing the Team field that connects with Atlassian teams to Jira. What is an Atlassian team and how do I use it?.

When this field becomes available in both team-managed and company-managed projects you will be able to:

1. Associate Jira issues with teams

2. Search (JQL), filter, and create reports for issues by teams

3. Use teams in Advanced Roadmaps plans.
    Learn more about the changes coming to Advanced Roadmaps.

4. View issues associated with a team on the team profile

☀️ What are teams in Jira?

Today, you use Atlassian teams to make use of collaborative features such as mentions, shares, and assigning teams to Atlas projects and Compass components.

Soon you will be able to organise your work around teams in Jira. Unleash the potential of your team by using teams for collaboration in Jira Software.

You can use the Team field to:

• Associate a team with a work item in Jira

be6061cb-68c0-4ebe-9646-a4409f860322.png

• Search for issues or filter for a team in JQL

213fe638-3b42-4cc5-957d-c6ee4d1e5019.gif

• View issues associated with a team on the team profile

8e80a7c3-8e14-4d78-a388-8d349cd63d9a.png

89264b06-1a82-47e2-9fbf-49d26fe95e86.png

🗓️ When is this coming to my Jira?

Teams field in Jira is now available for all of Free/Standard/Premium license customers and most of Enterprise customers. We are working on getting this field to the largest and most complex Enterprise customers in the following months, aiming to complete the migration in Q1 2024

🙋🏻How do I use the Team field when it's rolled out?

We will let you know when we start rolling out this field to everyone. At that time you can:

• For Company-Managed Projects, reach out to your Jira admin to enable the Team field. If you have project permissions, you can do it yourself!
  • For Team-Managed Projects, ask your project admin to enable the Team field.

Learn more about project permissions

🤝 What about teams in Advanced Roadmaps?

Previously, a Shared team in Advanced Roadmaps was a concept only available to Premium customers. Shared teams in Advanced Roadmaps will be migrated and will start using Atlassian Teams in Jira Software. After this change rolls out, you’ll be able to use the same teams that are in your issues, and in Advanced Roadmaps.

No more double configurations, no more siloed teams – just smooth sailing.

Learn more about the changes coming to Advanced Roadmaps

🧑🏻‍💻 Is there a REST API for the Team field?

Yes we have a public REST API for the Team field, please find more details here:

https://developer.atlassian.com/platform/teams/components/team-public-rest-api/ 

174 comments

Comment

Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 28, 2023

Hi @Yerbol Nisanbayev

great stuff! I already commented on Rhys' post, but just to re-iterate: It's critical to understand if and how this will affect any API integrations / the ecosystem. Right now, we (JXL for Jira), and I'm sure many others, access an issue's team via the respective Custom Field, assuming a certain data shape.

Is this data shape going to change? If yes: Can I read up on these changes somewhere? What's the exact deprecation period?

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Nena Kruljac March 1, 2023

Hi,

how are these teams related to Team custom field? If not yet, when can we expect it to be connected?

Thank you, kind regards, Nena

Chris Francuz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2023

Hi @Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira 

The current data shape of the Team custom field exposed via the issue REST API is still supported. However there will be a change to the Team custom field type. Does your app rely on some custom field type introspection? 

One additional thing that will change is that plan-only teams will no longer be exposed via the REST API. You can read more about that here:
https://developer.atlassian.com/changelog/#CHANGE-799

Regards,

Chris

Like Gazaliy Alade likes this
Chris Francuz
Atlassian Team
March 1, 2023

Hi @Nena Kruljac 

Once this feature is rolled out, these teams will be selectable in the Team custom field.

Regards,

Chris

Like # people like this
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 2, 2023

Hi @Chris Francuz

we're essentially doing two things:

1. Find the custom field with schema name com.atlassian.teams:rm-teams-custom-field-team within the result of the fields endpoint.
  2. When we load issues (e.g. via search), retrieve the values from the fields section of an issue based on the custom field ID identified in 1., and expect a data shape of { id: string, name: string } for shared teams. (Our code already incorporates the changes in CHANGE-799 in a backward-compatible way.)

Do I understand correctly that 1. will have to be changed, but 2. should still be valid?

Chris Francuz
Atlassian Team
March 6, 2023

Hi @Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira 

Yes that is correct.

We have onboarded your dev site to the early access program so you should be able to try this out now.

You should see the Team field with the new schema name com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes:atlassian-team

Anthony Cast March 8, 2023

With this rollout will it be possible to associate 1 issue in a Company-Managed project to multiple Teams? These issues in JSWCLOUD appear to intersect:

Erin Quick-Laughlin March 10, 2023

@Chris Francuz  I have a few questions about impact:

1. When this community post says "Shared teams will be visible across all Jira sites in your organization (even if we use multiple sites)" can you confirm this is Jira only?  We have a public-facing Confluence site that we may want to restrict editors from picking/adding a team to a page.  
  2. When the same post says "Atlassian will automatically add the new Teams field to all issues in Jira, replacing the existing one if needed",
    1. Does this mean the customfield ID changes? Thinking about Jira Automation impacts. 
    2. If not,  can we assume that if we already have Team[Team] added to our issues, there's no change?
    3. Can we assume that there will be no changes to Tempo's Team field?
  3. Based on the gif above in this post, It looks like the ID of a Shared Team is going to change from an Int to a GUID after migration. Is that true?
    1. If so, will we still be able to access by the legacy ID?
    2. If not, will Atlassian help us avoid breaking existing Filters and Jira Automation in some way, like performing the conversions for us, or will we need to update anything that used the old ID?
Like # people like this
Gregory Kremer March 14, 2023

@Chris 

We did a lot of work to navigate Team field's shortcomings. The announced changes will cause us a lot of headaches. That being said here are my questions:

1. Will we be able to control who can create a Team in the new setup?

2. We have a large number of reports, based on Team field. Currently, as everyone knows, we have to use team number in order to extract relevant data. Will team numbers be still available and will remain the same in the new setup? This is crucial for us to know, as all the reports would need to be re-written in case team numbers are changed or completely gone.

I will greatly appreciate your prompt reply.

Like # people like this
Gregory Kremer March 14, 2023

@Erin Quick-Laughlin All very legitimate questions. I would love to see them answered ASAP. The March 20 is fast approaching.

@Chris Francuz Can Atlassian address these and other similar questions please? It is critical for us to know how new Team field will behave. Not knowing it will cause huge problems to most of us, who have been using Advanced Road Map.

Elaine McMillan March 16, 2023

Can this be used in JSM as well for assigning tickets to teams?

Like # people like this
Chad Jackson March 17, 2023

We are looking to build out a Assets Object Teams to manage teams for Jira Service Management. Will this new  Team field work cross platform with JSM. If so when?

Like # people like this
Elvira Kan
Atlassian Team
March 22, 2023

Hi @Anthony Cast 

No, there is no change to this - only one team can be assigned on issues. 

Regards,
Elvira. 

Chris Francuz
Atlassian Team
March 22, 2023

Hi, to share some answers:

• Atlassian teams are visible across the organisation, even at present. So if a team is created in Jira, it will be visible in Confluence as well. When we convert the Advanced Roadmaps teams to Atlassian teams, they will follow this model.
  • The Team custom field ID will not change so if your automation uses the Team field ID, it will continue to find the field
  • If you have the Team[Team] field added to your issue screens, it will continue to be there with the Atlassian team field
  • We are not changing the Tempo team field
  • Yes the team IDs will change, but we will still support legacy IDs in existing saved filters or Jira Automation rules. (However new filters and automations should use the new IDs)
Like # people like this
Chris Francuz
Atlassian Team
March 22, 2023

Hi @Gregory Kremer 

Creation of Atlassian teams is more open than Advanced Roadmaps shared teams. When we convert the Advanced Roadmaps teams to Atlassian teams, they will follow the Atlassian team model. The Advanced Roadmaps shared team management permission will no longer be applicable.

As to your reports, generally speaking we aim to keep backwards compatibility with existing integrations. For example fetching data using the legacy team ID. But I might need a bit more information on how your report use case works to understand if it would fit in with this backwards compatibility support.

Like # people like this
Dianna Bucher March 24, 2023

Will we have the ability in the Teams dropdown in Jira to filter to only see the Teams that are applicable for the specific Jira project versus all teams in our company instance of Jira?  (Similar to the Sprint dropdown.)

Sprint dropdown.jpg

Like # people like this
Daniel Dolinov March 29, 2023

Will we be able to use teams when providing access to Jira projects?  In other words, adding Teams to project roles the way I can add individuals and groups?

Like # people like this
Daniel Dolinov March 29, 2023

Is there a way to sync teams with Active Directory/Azure Active Directory?

Like # people like this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2023

Hi guys,

While I do welcome the change, how come a selected team in JQL is not simply displaying the team name, but an impossible to read hash?

We see the same with the Advanced Roadmaps team, but there it is a number that is being displayed. It would really be very valuable if that could be fixed before rolling out the change it self, and ideally be made more consistent across standard and premium plans.

Apart from that, looking forward to the new functionality!

Like Dave Mathijs likes this
Iain McCarthy March 30, 2023

We are really looking forward to more intuitive, visible teams. Currently we manage everything via Jira's access groups and API updates. Atlas' updates have been, to date, not quite what we need. When this lands in Jira we would like this to be:

(a) sync'able with our IdP via Atlassian Access or other route (currently I think only Okta is supported? We need Google). Having another isolated team directory would be a nightmare for stale data and maintenance load. 

(b) centrally managed - we really need this to be controlled by admin. Free-form teams is really not compatible with reporting and security/issue visibility requirements. 

Hoping we can address both of these!

Like # people like this
Rick Westbrock March 30, 2023

Any idea when the Team field will be available in the Edit Issue action of Automation rules?

I am currently using advanced JSON to set the field however when I use what I thought was the team ID found in the URL of the team page I get an error for ID not found. It would obviously be more user friendly if we could set the field using team name instead of ID but since that isn't the case how do I find the correct team ID?

Like # people like this
Rick Westbrock March 30, 2023

Does this require that we have the Advanced Roadmaps feature? I added the field to a screen but when I try to edit the field I just get this message “Plan-specific teams can only be selected through a plan”. Our Jira Software plan is Standard but we do have Jira Service Management on the Premium plan.

I did some searching and ran across how to make a team shared but that was only in the context of advanced roadmaps. We have four teams defined and none of them show up in the Team field, just that error message.

Hailin_Zhang March 30, 2023

Hi Atlassian,

We have a Team menu item on the top of Jira screen sitting with dashboards and Plans, while team created there cannot be selected as an option of team field.  Only shared teams created in advanced roadmap are selectable. 

So what is the team menu item used for?

teamMenu.png

Team selectable.png

Like Paula Hidalgo likes this
Joni Johnson March 30, 2023

Is there a way on the Epic Issue type or the issues you can define in Advanced Roadmaps to assign multiple teams? We want to use it to know what teams are working on the Epic issue type.

Sergei Gridnevskii
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2023

Another Team. We already have a bunch in Advanced Roadmaps.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events