We're ending support for five dashboard gadgets on Dec. 9, 2024

Thank you all for your feedback thus far. While we still plan on making these changes, we are pausing this deprecation while we re-evaluate our approach and timeline. Please stay tuned for an update next week (the week of October 14, 2024).

Starting December 9, 2024, we’re removing functionality from the following gadgets:

• Jira Road Map

• Bubble Chart

• Heat Map

• Projects

• Labels

As a result, you’ll no longer be able to create, edit, duplicate, or view content within these gadgets. This decision is part of our efforts to optimize Jira Dashboard’s core features and pave the way for a better dashboard experience.

To ensure your dashboard remains up to date, we recommend removing the gadgets before December 9th. This will also give you time to review your existing gadgets and apply similar configurations to the available alternatives.

We understand that this change may cause disruptions, and we want to assist you in the best possible way. We’ve provided step-by-step instructions for removing these gadgets, along with alternatives to help you achieve similar results.

Everything you need to know about the gadgets

What happens to my existing gadgets?

You can continue to use your existing gadgets until we begin to remove all functionality on December 9th. After that, you can no longer edit, duplicate, create, or view their content. This change only affects the Jira Road Map, Bubble Chart, Heat Map, Projects, and Labels gadgets. Your other gadgets will remain the same.

Why do I have to remove the gadgets?

If we remove the gadgets for you, there may be some structural changes that affect the layout of your dashboard. Removing the gadgets yourself ensures that you maintain control over your dashboard's appearance once they are removed.

How do I delete the gadgets?

To delete the gadgets:

1. Hover over the More actions menu (...)

2. Select Delete

How can I achieve similar results without these gadgets?

Unfortunately, maintaining or updating these gadgets is not part of our current roadmap. While there isn’t an exact replacement for each gadget, we have alternatives that can help you achieve similar results, some of which may involve using other features in Jira. The only gadget without an alternative is the Bubble Chart gadget.

We understand this isn’t ideal, and we want to assure you that we’re actively working on creating a better dashboard experience. We invite you to read our latest blog about early access to the first release of our Atlassian Home Dashboards experience. While this new experience doesn’t replace the gadgets, it lays the groundwork for an improved dashboard experience, and we’re committed to listening to your feedback as we develop it further.

If you’d like to participate and provide feedback, fill out this survey.

How to achieve similar results using alternatives

The following alternatives are available for each gadget:

Gadget

Available alternative

Jira Road Map

Timeline View

Advanced roadmap (Premium feature)

Heat Map, Projects, and Labels

Issue statistics gadget

Bubble Chart

There’s no available alternative for this gadget.

Reference your existing gadgets

We recommend arranging two windows side-by-side to compare your existing gadget configurations with those in the alternatives. Then, follow the instructions to reference them while setting up the alternative.

Jira Road Map gadget alternative

The Jira Road Map gadget provides a visual representation of project timelines so you can see the progression of tasks and projects over time. Jira’s Timeline view and Advanced Roadmap features will allow you to achieve similar results. More about timelines in Jira

Timeline view

The timeline view allows you to visualize and track the progress of single team-level projects.

To use the Timeline view:

1. Open the project you want to track.

2. Select Timeline in the project view side panel.

Here’s how the Timeline view looks compared to the Jira Road Map gadget:

Jira Road Map gadget

Timeline View

JiraRoadMapGadget.png

TimelineView.png

Advanced Roadmap (Premium feature)

If you're on a Premium or Enterprise plan, you can use Advanced Roadmaps to plan and track work across multiple projects and teams. It offers features like dependencies, capacity planning, and the ability to create custom views and filters.

To use this feature, you’ll need to create a plan. To create a new plan:

1. From the navigation at the top of the page, go to Plans > + Create plan to open the plan creation tool.

2. Enter these details:

1. Plan name - This will help your team identify the plan.

2. Access - Select Private or Open. By default, access is set to Open.

3. Issue sources - Choose which projects and boards, and filters you want to import from Jira. These will form the plan’s scope. Find out how to add or change issue sources.

3. When you're satisfied with your plan, select Create.

Once you’ve created a plan, select Plans from the header and select the plan you’d like to track. More about advanced planning in Jira

Here’s how the Advanced Roadmap looks compared to the Jira Road Map gadget:

Jira Road Map gadget

Advanced Roadmap

JiraRoadMapGadget.png

AdvancedRoadmap.png

Heat Map, Projects, and Labels gadget alternative

The Heat Map, Projects, and Labels gadgets offer visual representations of issues in a project. As we transition away from these gadgets, the Issue Statistics Gadget is an alternative that provides summaries of issues based on specified criteria.

To use the Issue statistic gadget:

1. Select Add Gadget from your dashboard's header.

2. Search for Issue Statistics and select Add.

3. Configure the gadget by applying your desired configurations.

• In the Statistic Type field, select the type of data you want the gadget to summarize:

• To replicate the Heat Map gadget, select the same statistics type used in your Heat Map gadget

• To replicate the Projects gadget, select Project as the Statistic type.

• To replicate the Labels gadget, select Label as the Statistic type.

Here’s how the Issue Statistics gadget compares to the Heat Map, Projects, and Labels gadget:

Gadgets

Alternative: Issue Statistics gadget

Heat map

HeatMap.png
Heat Map gadget with “Status” selected as the Statistics type.
IssueStat4Heat.png
Issue Statistics gadget with “Status” selected as the Statistics type.

Projects gadget

Projects.png
Projects gadget summarizing projects
IssueStat4Projects.png
Issue Statistics gadget with “Project” selected as the Statistics type.

Labels gadget

Labels.png
Labels gadget summarizing labels
IssueStat4Labels.png
Issue Statistics gadget with “Label” selected as the Statistics type.

Feel free to comment if you've got any feedback or contact support if you run into any issues.

75 comments

Mani October 3, 2024

These changes applicable for Jira datacenter as well?

Like # people like this
Benedek Farkas October 8, 2024

Is the issue statistics gadget only able to list the statistics of a single project? From the configuration/validation, it looks like that's the case.

Like # people like this
Oscar Dekkers
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 8, 2024

This is a big downgrade for roadmap for jira. We are using it to have an overview of all upcoming releases. The suggested alternatives aren't real alternatives.

Does anybody know a real equivalent to have an overview of all releases across all projects?

Like # people like this
Uldis Bērziņš
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 8, 2024

Worst decision ever - discontinue valuable gadgets and offer nothing in return. Roadmap and Bubble chart offer valuable insights and overview of our tickets. Now it will be gone.... Not very good product management. 

I will not recommend JIRA to anyone who asks, too many unpleasant surprises. 

Like # people like this
Bruno
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 8, 2024

That's really a disappointment that you stop the support for the Gadget "Jira Road Map"
As far as I can see you are not offering a real alternative that would show the same as before. 
Unfortunately "Timeline" does not seem work as a gadget on a Dashboard.

I would appreciate it if you could come up with a proper alternative or replacement for "Jira Road Map".

Like # people like this
David Drong-Reisch October 8, 2024

I'm on Uldis side. You want more and more money for less value. Like Problem and Change management moving to premium licensing while the standard costs rising also.

Now you take our bubble chart away without alternatives.

You are not even able to provide us information about why you have to do this. 

"This decision is part of our efforts to optimize Jira Dashboard’s core features and pave the way for a better dashboard experience."

Ah I see. Next year there will be bubbles in the premium dashboard in the premium plan.

It's time to check freshdesk again...

And if you think I'm to hard in this:

https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/cloud

There is not even one change planned in the public roadmap if your searching for dashboards. 

Like # people like this
nanuqDev
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 8, 2024

Thank you, that helped us to start looking for an alternative, nice timing with the 10%-20% price increase in Canada. I'm thinking Jira standard will only be an expensive trello board with a premium price in the coming years, with all the basic feature moved to "premium" (and maybe some "premium" features moved to the "enterprise").

Context : We are a small non-profit with <5 interconnected projects, premium will be overkill, but standard can't support multiple projects anymore.

Like # people like this
Karyna
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 8, 2024

The "Projects" gadget works perfectly and clearly breaks down projects, much more clearly than the Issue Statistics gadget. Please don't take it away! 

Like # people like this
Kelly_D_Orr
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 8, 2024

Road Map is the BEST view for Executives to see progress across projects!!!! PLEASE do not get rid of this gadget!

Like # people like this
Jonathan Smith October 8, 2024

I have projects with 50+ labels. Using the issue statistics widget will make my label list very long on our dashboards. Removing the labels gadget is not idea as it saves space on busy dashboards.

Like # people like this
Ryan Kroening
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 8, 2024

Please don't get rid of Jira Road Map!!!  As a Project Manager at an agency it helps me manage multiple release for multiple clients all at once on a daily basis.  This will be a HUGE loss.

Like # people like this
Emma_Payton
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 8, 2024

Our team relies heavily on the Projects gadget and the alternative is not an effective replacement. 

Like # people like this
Shalimar Caceres October 8, 2024

The Projects alternative has no capacity to replace the current gadget.

I can't understand the reasoning to retire useful components and not truly replace them. It's not like there's something new and better that will take their place. This is literally just taking away functionality and offering nothing in return. Why?

Like # people like this
Lesley Boyd October 8, 2024

I agree with some of the other comments here.  We use the roadmap gadget to easily track upcoming releases across multiple projects in a dashboard. Please reconsider discontinuing support. The timeline view doesn't provide a streamlined view to all project fix versions in one place.  We tried premium and the features available there were NOT worth the cost.

Like # people like this
Myra October 8, 2024

This is very annoying. I use heat map all over the place and Issue Statistics is not the same, not as easy for people to really quickly click on their name or the status of issues. 

But the real irritating one is the Road Map. There is nothing else that comes remotely close to showing releases. I've tried a bunch of workarounds and it doesn't work. The listed replacement "Timeline" does not exist. There needs to be a Dashboard widget that shows releases.

Like # people like this
Deepankur_Khanna
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 8, 2024

I wish to see multiple projects on my Dashboard, Please suggest an alternative for that. I am nto able to add/select multiple projects under issues statistics

Like # people like this
Vince Rohr October 8, 2024

Disappointed that gadgets that I use on a regular basis, because they are the only way I can see some of the data I need to manage, are being deleted.

Atlassian has visibility into the usage of these widgets so it is clear that they know they are being used.  This is not the first time that this has occurred.  This is especially troubling that they are not providing replacement functionality. 

"Sorry, we are deleting something that you use to do your job and not giving you a replacement. How would you rate this?"  I rate it as 'you suck'.

Like # people like this
martin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 8, 2024

Have you looked at previous vs the replacement?    In every case, the replacement is much much worse and harder to read.

I get that those widgets are probably special cases that don't use the the "default" code  / layout.  But, that sort of is the reason for "special" widgets.   You subclass and override to make something amazing.

Why not open source the widgets so plugin providers can pick up the torch?

Like # people like this
Gemma Forbes
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 8, 2024

Another case of removing something that is widely used with no alternative...

Timeline View gadget doesn't even exist and it's the supposed replacement for Roadmap

Like # people like this
Aditi Banerjee
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 8, 2024

JIRA road map gives us a high-level visualization regarding the releases we have planned. We replaced it with Timeline view, which is not even a gadget and is really not helpful for getting high-level insights for the project. 

Please don't remove it or else give some other replacement that can help us to see the status for releases we have planned

Like # people like this
Graham Douglas
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 8, 2024

The roadmap gadget gave a simple list of upcoming releases, their date and high level progress at a glance. The alternatives suggested are massively over engineered and too busy to show that key information. Please re-consider the retirement of this or offer a better alternative that meets the use case.

Like # people like this
Martin HARLAUT
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 9, 2024

Hello,

That's a shame to stop it without proposing any sustainable alternative to it. I'm using the Heat Map as a main monitoring tool and delete it will just make my work harder 🤷‍♂️.

Actually, would be great to share why this is not a part of your Road Map and give us more insight.

This is unacceptable to act this way.

I would say something that is my very own opinion, you have decided to stop useful gadgets when less interesting ones are still maintain...

Have a nice day anyway.

Like # people like this
Christiane
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 9, 2024

hello Atlassian,

welcom and again another downgrading! What a pitty, why do you remove for example the labels list? We uses it sind years to get a better overview and now? a long list with statistics nobody needs - we do not.

Another point: the suggested alternative does not work as the original. We want to see ALL labels, as we work with them. The Statitic des not show all labels, so it makes no sense.

:-(((((

Christiane

Like # people like this
Martin Karing October 9, 2024

Are there replacements not correctly rolled out? There does not seem to be a way to show a timeline or an advanced roadmap plan as a widget.

Like Chuck Scammacca likes this
Chris Mann October 9, 2024

I've just tried to look at the alternative to the Jira Road Map gadget and the "Timeline View" doesn't get listed on any of our projects.

However, looking at your screenshot of it's functionality, it doesn't appear to actually offer the same information as the Road Map gadget (and can't be added as a gadget) meaning it is NOT an actual alternative.

Please, how about just updating this page to say "We have removed this gadget and have no alternative for you to use now, no documented plan for alternatives in the future and no desire to respond to our paying customers requirements or feedback".

Sadly, we have become more and more disillusioned with Atlassian and Jira since being forced off our on-prem instance onto your cloud offering with increased costs, lower performance and frequent unwanted changes being forced upon us.

So far, we have seen zero benefits for the additional costs over the on-prem version we had been using for years and this is just another example where we have no control. - We can't even remain on a version which includes the functionality we use and wait until an actual alternative is provided in a future version.

Very, very poor show, Atlassian. 

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events