Using macrons in Jira Cloud

Māori is one of the official languages in New Zealand. In written form, Māori language uses a diacritical mark called a macron, indicating long vowel sounds.  For example the Māori word for group can be written as ‘rōpū’ or ‘roopuu’.

Like umlauts and Asian characters, you cannot always assume they will display correctly within your tools.

Te Reo (Maori language) training and writing

What is a diacritical mark? From Wikipedia "diacritic (also diacritical mark, diacritical point, diacritical sign, or accent) is a glyph added to a letter  or basic glyph."

So what do you need to know when using macrons in Jira Cloud?

Macrons cannot be used in project keys. If you substitute letters that should have macrons to the plain versions, this is more than a spelling error. You may end up using a word with a different meaning.

Autocomplete search fields are also problematic. If you have a project called "Kōwhai",  typing the letters "ko" will not suggest this project. You can use macrons in the Jira search fields but other fields like the autocomplete search for Tempo accounts will not find the match regardless of whether you type "ko" or "kō". The workaround we use is to make sure Tempo accounts with macrons have at least 1 other word ew can search for that does not have a macron.

The good news

Macrons can be used in Jira text fields including summary, description, status names, fixversion, components and more.

Related article: Using macrons in Confluence Cloud

2 comments

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2020

@Kat Warner  I laughed like crazy, my brain was somewhere else when I saw Macrons and was thinking what is he doing in Jira (obviously my poor brain was thinking about Emmanuel Macron) 😂😂

Watching too much the news recently 😉

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 17, 2020

I have also had comments about making people hungry for macarons :)

Complete Guide to French Macarons + 7 Common Mistakes (w/ Video)

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events