Using labels in Jira

Atlassian’s Jira enables structured project management and facilitates the organization of tasks. In addition, Jira offers you a range of functions that save time and effort. These functions also include labels.

Labels can be created and assigned to a task or a story so that the respective tasks can be found more easily using the filter. For example, you can create a label “Marketing” and assign this label to all issues that are related to it. Afterwards, you can filter all the marketing-relevant tasks and get an overview of which issues are currently in the marketing team. Since anyone can create a label, it is best to think of a system beforehand so that there is a structure and clear overview.

You have already created some labels, but you don’t know how to display these in your project? Let us show you how!

The goal: Display labels within the card layout

To display labels in the card layout of agile boards, proceed as follows:

1. In the agile board in which you want to display labels, click in the top right corner on “Board” and in the pop-up menu on “Configure”.

2. When you are in the configuration menu, select “Card layout” on the left side. Here you can select labels and then click on the blue Add button to add them.

3. You are also able to configure your labels for your active sprint at this point.

After you have clicked on “Add”, your labels will be displayed in your backlog and your active sprint.

4. If you now select an issue in your active sprint and click on the label, you will be shown all issues that have been assigned to this label.

You can use the same procedure for Kanban boards in Jira as well.

Did our quick start guide help you, or do you have any further questions about using labels in Jira?
Feel free to reach out to me!

11 comments

SEMRA AKYEL ANDERSSON November 3, 2021

Hello Andreas, Is there any way to see the labels on the left side of the board, rather than the right side?

Like Malli_tech1993 likes this
Amna Fayyaz March 24, 2022

Hi Andreas, somehow I'm unable to find label settings or configurations. Please see the attached picture:labels_Jira.PNG

Kindly help me with this. I need to add labels.

Regards,

Amna

Tintareanu Mihai April 7, 2022

Hi @Amna Fayyaz ! 

You are in a "Team-managed" project. In this kind of projects templates, the labels field should be already visible on the Create/Edit/View Screens. If in your case, "labels" field is not visible, you need to check if the field is on the right issue types screen. Go to Project settings -> Issue types and check carefully if the field is added on the issue type screen. If not, the field is hidden or wasn't added on the screen.

Best regards,

Mihai

JB June 5, 2022

How can I make the label field appear empty on the Board view when there are no labels defined ? Currently they display a greyed out "None" instead of just being blank when empty... which seems confusing, since I may have a label called "None".

Like Andreas from Superb likes this
Ady Bar July 22, 2022

How can I query by label? I am marking some tickets with a label. Some tickets have multiple labels. How can I filter by one label?

Like Tyler Theobald likes this
Deleted user September 12, 2022

You can query by Label by using the advanced issue filter search and start with the basic search.  Choose the project, issue type(s), and label = 

Srikanta A January 29, 2023

How to get the list of all labels in our Jira tenant?

Like Erick Hagstrom likes this
Atly Apps February 21, 2023

Hi @Srikanta A

This functionality is not available by default in the Jira user interface, however we recently released a third-party app - Label Organizer for Jira Cloud - which provides the ability to view and organize labels throughout your Jira tenant:

Jira tenant labels 2.png

It's totally free for organisations with less than 10 users, and we've tried to price it very economically for organisations with more users. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or suggestions.

Matha Goram May 11, 2023

How to create Labels, Categories, etc. when using the FREE version(s) of Jira?

Apologies for a newbie question but populating these fields with data (that can be subsequently selecting in drop-down lists) is a starting gate obstacle for my wish to customize my first project in Jira! Sorry.

Regards.

Like Keith Hollins likes this
karim -Atlassway-
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 2, 2023

Hi folks , 

Using Colored Label Manager you can 

Visualize your labels with at-a-glance quickness to save time and avoid mistake - Make your issues more colorful

Allow your team to define their labels, cleanup and organize them quickly with bulk powerful functionality .

media2 v2.png

Karim 

Atlassway Team

Like Atlassway likes this
Iriana Velasquez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 28, 2024

Es normal que al cambiar una etiqueta de una subtasks se cambien las etiquietas de sus hermanas? 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events