Upgrade the Jira Cloud + Slack integration to granular permissions

We are updating the Jira Cloud + Slack Integration to use Slack’s shiny new granular permissions. This allows our app to ask for only the permissions it needs and makes it more reliable. For this update, action is required by Slack admins of workspaces using the Jira Cloud + Slack integration.

What are granular permissions?

Slack has required that all integration apps update to support their new granular permissions model. Before granular permissions, “classic” apps using a bot token received a broad set of scopes, and developers did not have a way to pick and choose the information their app actually accessed. Now, with granular permissions, developers can specify only the exact, minimal scopes needed for their app to function

Apps using granular permissions are also more reliable as they can remain in a workspace even if the app installer leaves the company, reducing unwanted interruptions. Furthermore, granular permissions provide a wider set of scopes that we as developers can cherry-pick in the future to add cool new features that wouldn’t be possible with classic apps.

What do Slack admins need to do?

Slack Admins are required to upgrade permissions for the Jira Cloud + Slack integration in their workspaces by February 19, 2021, when the old version of the integration will no longer work. Upgrading is super simple and should only take a minute.

What happens if an admin doesn’t upgrade?

We strongly recommend upgrading well before the deadline once the upgrade becomes available on February 8, 2021. Until an admin upgrades the app:

1. New users will not be able to log in to the app and access its features

2. Any new features will not be available to your team

3. On February 19, 2021, the old version of the app will no longer work, and Slack admins will continue to receive reminders to upgrade. Upgrading will immediately make the app work as expected.

How does a Slack admin upgrade the integration?

1. A few days before the upgrade becomes available, admins receive a message letting them know that they will need to upgrade the app soon. No action is yet required at this point, it is just a heads up.

jira-pre-announcement.png

2. On February 8 2021, the upgrade will actually become available and admins will receive a message with a button to "Update permissions" which will begin the simple upgrade process.

jira-update-announcement.png

3. Clicking “Update permissions” will let admins view and accept the new granular permissions. If you are a member of multiple Slack workspaces, make sure you are upgrading for the correct workspace in the Workspace switcher in the top right corner of the page.

allow.png

4. Click “Allow” and you’re all done! Your Jira Cloud + Slack integration is now on Slack’s shiny new granular permissions 🎉 

You can disregard past update messages as you are on the most up-to-date and supported version of the app. New members will be able to log in, and you will have access to all new future features. 

Will upgrading the app cause any interruptions with the app or our Slack experience?

No. Upgrading will not negatively impact your app or Slack experience. There will be no interruptions. Everything will still continue to work as normal as you upgrade and after you upgrade.

52 comments

Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2021

Thanks @David Michelson  for the article - very interesting !

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2021

Thanks for sharing this article @David Michelson ! This is really interesting update.

Steven Rhodes February 3, 2021

@David Michelson Does the new Slack app require any new permissions?

Michael Castellano February 4, 2021

disregard

Michael Ashley February 4, 2021

will look for the update.

Anastasiya Lebedev February 5, 2021

@David MichelsonWhere can all the options be viewed?  In our team, the Slack admin does not use Jira and the Jira admin needs to tell the Slack admin exactly what to enable.

Jens Zscheile February 9, 2021

I have not received the link or message yet as a Slack/Jira admin. Is there any way to update the permissions without this message?

Lacey Gastellum February 9, 2021

I haven't received a link or message to update these permissions as a Slack/Jira admin either. Has this been sent out?

David Michelson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2021

@Lacey Gastellum @Jens Zscheile We are sending the messages out on a rolling basis, so it is expected that you may not have received the message yet. Here is a URL that you can use to update without receiving the message: https://atlassian-slack-integration.services.atlassian.com/api/slack/login?source=community 

@Anastasiya Lebedev If your team is using the Jira Cloud app for Slack, Slack admins should receive messages (as shown above) to guide them through the update.

@Steven Rhodes Since the upgrade is now available, you can review each permission the app requests in step 3 listed above. If you're a Slack admin in your workspace, can either click "Update permissions" from a message you should have received (or will soon receive) from the app, or use on this URL https://atlassian-slack-integration.services.atlassian.com/api/slack/login?source=community

Jens Zscheile February 9, 2021

@David Michelson thanks!

Deepu February 10, 2021

@David Michelson https://atlassian-slack-integration.services.atlassian.com/api/slack/login?source=community gives me an error.

upstream connect error or disconnect/reset before headers. reset reason: overflow

Also, the integration has stopped working for me.

Johan Havner February 10, 2021

I get the same as Deepu James above. 

James Yale February 10, 2021
berso February 10, 2021

I have the same timeout problem...

Tracey Palmer February 10, 2021

as do i

Jens Zscheile February 10, 2021

I've got as well a timeout. But i received a message after few minutes in slack that the permissions was successfully updated.

You successfully updated Jira Cloud for Slack! New members will now be able to log in. 

Bartek Grabski February 10, 2021

I had a peek into new required scopes for the Jira app installed in our Slack and I am personally pretty confused and frustrated.

Can anyone explain to me, why a Jira app for Slack would need, for example:

• Manage a user’s public channels and create new ones on a user’s behalf
    (channels:write)
  • Manage a user’s private channels and create new ones on a user’s behalf
    (groups:write)

?

This is just an example.

Perhaps I'm not understanding something, but if the app continues to require the above, I will not allow it to be installed in our workspace. I want Jira to notify me of changes in our tasks, and not take over the Slack.

Like # people like this
Davorin Kelenc February 10, 2021

We have same problem as Deepu j.

upstream connect error or disconnect/reset before headers. reset reason: overfloas  

What is solutions ... tray again :( ?

Mike Escola February 10, 2021

Yes, it's giving a gateway timeout clicking through the "Update the App" email.

upstream connect error or disconnect/reset before headers. reset reason: overflow
Devin van Deventer February 10, 2021

Same on my end, the app is no longer working in Slack & getting the error when using the provided link - 

Raphael Dutra February 10, 2021

Same problem here when trying to update:

Has anyone managed to get around the problem?

James Yale February 10, 2021

Still seeing the same issue here. I think we're going to be stuck until @David Michelson comes back online and takes a look at the backend system. 

Raphael Dutra February 10, 2021

Now it worked here.
Thank you.

Deepu February 10, 2021

I too confirm that this is working now.

Jens Zscheile February 10, 2021

Yes, now it is working without any timeout.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events