Unlock the power of search with the new JQL editor

screenshot-1.png

Hi All!

Weโ€™re excited to share the launch of a new issue search experience in Jira that makes pulling data more intuitive, effective, and faster for teams. Today, customers use Jira Query Language (JQL) to create tailored views of issues for dashboards, reporting, and more. Our recent updates to JQL editor make it easier for any team to dive deep into data, and build powerful searches. 

๐Ÿ– Fix errors in real time

The new JQL editor is now faster, and can validate syntax on the fly. We also included messages that highlight errors in red, with detailed information on how to fix them!

Before

de50e9e5-fd67-4970-acc5-b1b5127a5e3b.gif

โœ… After โœ…

21ff20ac-83ea-4e22-b245-031091fc37fc.gif

๐ŸŽจ Search with smart syntax highlighting

When writing JQL queries, users used to see long strings of text. The new JQL editor helps you build queries in real time by analyzing your query structure, identifying entity types, and highlighting them as you type. This makes queries more readable, and easier to edit as you write.

Before

5590117e-3870-46e8-b33b-3168e4ff4766.png

โœ… After โœ…

eee985ad-bd77-48ca-ae0b-ec0e65e7b2c6.png

๐Ÿค“ Build queries with enhanced autocomplete

Weโ€™ve improved the autocomplete experience to give more helpful feedback as you type. The editor shows keywords and functions at the top, while providing an indicator of the data loading in the background.

Before

Jul-15-2021 16-50-42.gif

โœ… After โœ…

Jul-15-2021 16-51-15.gif

๐Ÿ“– Expand the editor for longer queries

Now you can expand and collapse the editor to allow space for editing multiline queries. New numbered lines make it easier to read the query, and find where potential errors are. Plus, weโ€™ve included onscreen instructions to let you know to add a new line as you type (Shift+Enter).

Before

99271e93-4395-4266-b139-cf6052493125.png

โœ… After โœ…

47f6dca2-2a79-4779-a49d-9b589ae9a32f.png

๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿผ See coworkers instead of user ids

Some time ago we had to change the way user names are shown in JQL to comply with GDPR, which resulted in users being represented as account identifiers. The new JQL editor can now recognize these entities and replace them with a more visual representation, while keeping the underlying JQL query untouched, and PII free! Now you can see usernames in search, and we even added icons!

Before

e5bf037e-623a-4773-9ccb-647a54599e37.png

โœ… After โœ…

Untitled.jpg

๐Ÿ”Ž Search across multiple projects

In addition to the new JQL editor, weโ€™ve enhanced issue search at the project level with an improved project selector. Now you can stay within the project view to search outside your immediate project, across your whole Jira instance. This is especially helpful for people who work across multiple projects.

Before

c9841690-44b6-4fb1-b615-ebe0810893a3.png

โœ… After โœ…

a1a8d9cb-70d6-45c5-b931-a02824b30eeb.png

๐Ÿ“บ
Watch our demo!

Want a quick video run through of these updates? Look no further! See the tools in action from our very own Kyle Painter. 

๐Ÿ“ฌ Share your feedback

We are committed to improving the issue search experience, and would love to hear your feedback in comments section of the post below!

When will this feature come to "Advanced search"?

We are iteratively improving the issue navigator and it will replace Advanced search sometime in 2022, To stay updated on the latest, please watch this ticket.

Is this available in server or data center?

We are afraid this feature is being released to Jira cloud only

Where can I find the new JQL editor?

Company managed project (formerly classic projects)

You can find the new editor in the issue navigator under the Issues item in your project side bar.

Team managed project (formerly next-gen projects)

Enable the issue navigator via the features page under team-managed project settings. After you have enabled the issue navigator, Issues will appear in the project sidebar on the left.

77 comments

Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2021

Cool!

So this looks really great. JQL Editor already needed such a change :)

Like โ€ข # people like this
Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2021

Thank you @Pavel Junek many more improvements are coming to issue search, watch this ticket for details smile

Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 15, 2021

Nice one, any plans of making it available in Advanced Search outside of project view?

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2021

Hi @Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions , Yes! New issue navigator(with new JQL editor) will replace advanced search next year - stay tuned for the latest updates here  

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2021

Nice! This area was long overdue for some attention so thanks thanks thanks!!

Colton_Kosicek July 15, 2021

Great visual enhancements but wish we could've received new JQL functions to provide more search capabilities like searching within ALL epics and responding back with epics that have All their stories completed.  Tired of fighting for a company to buy extra add-ons for basic excel functionality.

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
July 15, 2021

Hi @Jack Brickey , thank you for the comment and very true - we were excited to attack one of the areas of Jira that has not been touched in a while.

@Colton_Kosicek thank you for your feedback, that's a fair point. We are aware of this concern but I am afraid we do not have immediate plans to attack this now. It will be prioritised together with other feature requests for search and JQL. 

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2021

This looks amazing! ๐Ÿคฉ 

Is there any chance this new JQL search can be used by your Atlassian marketplace partner apps as well? Maybe as an Atlaskint component or npm module? ๐Ÿ™ Thank you!

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2021

Nice!

Will this functionality be extended to the Advanced Search window too?

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
July 18, 2021

Hi @Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_ , thank you for sharing the excitement :) We do have a standing feature request to extend a new JQL editor to marketplace apps. It's currently prioritised together with other feature request, I am afraid I do not have a timeline I could share with you at this point.

Thank you @David Bakkers Yes, yes and yes! ๐ŸŽฏ We are building a new and better advanced search. And there are still a few things we need to build, but this new JQL experience will be rolled out to Advanced search next year among other things. Follow this ticket for more details smile

Reply Test Group July 19, 2021

Finally we can see the names of searched people in JQL ;)

Markus July 22, 2021

How do you get statuses to show up as red?

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
July 26, 2021

Hi @Markus , thank you for your question, I am afraid we currently do not show statuses in red colour in JQL. 

Markus July 27, 2021

@Yerbol Nisanbayev  Why is it in the screenshot then? "closed" is in red?

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
July 28, 2021

Hey @Markus - thank you for catching that, the colours on the screenshot were wrong, fixed it now. 

Markus July 29, 2021

@Yerbol Nisanbayev When will this be a feature? I would love having closed and other statuses show in red. It seems like you may be testing internally, so maybe soon.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2021

Regarding @Markus request, please do not implement unless fully configurable. I would not want my Done issues showing in red, especially since any Done status category is green. Red to me = something is wrong.

Markus July 29, 2021

@Jack BrickeyWell yeah, I would hope its a status category you can mark your status by like you currently can with the current colors.

Like โ€ข Yerbol Nisanbayev likes this
Jeff Ryan {Appfire} August 10, 2021

Following the thinking of @Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_ ,

@Yerbol Nisanbayev will the new editor be made available to forge applications either as a UI Kit component or a react component for Custom UI's? This would be very nice productivity boost for Marketplace partner applications.

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
August 10, 2021

Hey @Jeff Ryan {Appfire} , thank you for upping that comment. We are aware of the need there and it is currently prioritised together with other feature request for the upcoming JQL work. 

Like โ€ข Jeff Ryan {Appfire} likes this
clotilde August 17, 2021

great I was so looking for this. I can't wit to experience it!

Krzysztof Achinger August 17, 2021

More functions to the JQL itself would be more welcome. Syntax coloring is nice enhancement but by no means changes the everyday struggle to build complex queries. Things like "relative search" with WHERE keyword would be a killer, think about it :)

Holden Matan August 17, 2021

Is it just for cloud? if not, in which data center version is it available on?

G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2021

I'm not well versed with JQL and always depending on a colleague when the need arises. These new features seems to be more user friendly and I think I can excel. Thank you @Yerbol Nisanbayev for the details. May I know if this new additions are included or updated or replaced in the Atlassian University JQL course? If yes, could you please share that course link.

andre_peixoto August 17, 2021

Is it available for Server version?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events