Unable to start Jira with "The database setup is not supporting utf8mb4" error

※ This article was updated on Oct 15, 2019. utf8mb4 is required for Jira 8.12 or later. ※ 

Unable to start Jira with "The database setup is not supporting utf8mb4" error.

This Knowledge Base article was written specifically for the Atlassian Server platform.

Problem

The following error message was displayed when start-up Jira Server.

Database: We've found an error in MySQL supported version!

The database setup is not supporting utf8mb4
See our documentation for more information on setting up MySQL 5.7.
 Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 11.54.50.png

Cause

Since utf8mb4 is officially supported from JIRA 8.x and MySQL version 5.7

When the user selects Database Type MySQL 5.7+ in the setup wizard, dbconfig.xml automatically set database type to mysql57.

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 11.04.24.png

This dbconfig.xml configuration let Jira expect to use utf8mb4 Collation and Character.

<database-type>mysql57</database-type>

Resolution

Always backup your data before performing any modifications to the database.

Use utf8mb4

Please follow the below link and update the Database collation, character, and my.cnf .

Use utf8

• Change database-type mysql57 to mysql in dbconfig.xml

<database-type>mysql</database-type>

Please follow the below link and update Database collation, character and my.cnf .

7 comments

robert.nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2020

For a fresh copy of 7.6 there is not choice for MSQL 5.7+

Alexander Badich October 22, 2020

@robert.nadon

You can set it manually in your dbconfig.xml

robert.nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2020

Yes but then it says that UTF8mb4 is unsupported.  It doesn't really matter anymore as server is going away and MySQL is not supported in DC.

@robert.nadon 

Jira Server is going away?  When I didn't see any notice, do you have a link speaking of this deprecation? 

I am having big problems with my MySQL 5.7+, and my character set system is set to utf8, and when I change the dbconfig.xml via the configuration tool, it shoots me that error. " UTF8MB4 is unsupported".  If I change the file manually I am able to load everything without a problem.  I actually just opened a question on my issue. 

Thank you!

robert.nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2020

WOW. I thought the world new about this, in my communities that is the only conversations.  It was a big announcement from atlassian https://www.atlassian.com/migration/journey-to-cloud

Next year no new licenses, then product EOLs in 2024.   Only cloud and DC going forward.

robert.nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2020

If your company needs help with a migration to cloud or DC, please let me know as we can help.  

@robert.nadon 

That link goes no where...and I will look more into this conversation.  

Thank you for the help!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events