Try Jira Cloud for Outlook: Organize your work without leaving your inbox

Hi Atlassian community,

My name is Max and I work on the product integration team at Atlassian. I am pleased to announce the early access program for the Jira Cloud add-in for Outlook. This add-in lets you organize your Jira issues from Outlook and is available today on AppSource. Let us know what you think!

Install Jira Cloud for Outlook.

Context and action right at your fingertips

Email is great. However the information in emails is often outdated, and going through your emails to triage the important things requires a fair amount of back and forth between your inbox and each app. This add-in solves this problem for Jira by letting you manage your Jira issues from Outlook.

At a glance, here’s what you can do with this add-in:

• View the current status of Jira issues mentioned in an email

• View rich, up to date information about a Jira issue

• (Work in progress!) Update a Jira issue from your inbox: transition, assign and comment

• Create a new Jira issue from an email so the full context is readily available when starting work on a task

issues@aglance.png

Issue detail.pngCreate.png

Questions? We have answers!

How do I install this?

Using the Jira Cloud for Outlook add-in is simple and does not require help from a Jira administrator.

Which Atlassian product versions do I need?

The extension works with Jira Cloud (Jira Core, Jira Service Desk and Jira Software).

If you are looking for a solution that works with Jira Server or Data Center, there are great options built by our partners available in the Atlassian Marketplace.

Known issues

Can’t install the add-in, it’s not visible in the ribbon or it’s grayed out

The Outlook client must be connected to an Exchange server or Microsoft 365 using a direct connection. When configuring the client, the user must choose an ExchangeOffice, or Outlook.com account type. If the client is configured to connect with POP3 or IMAP, add-in will not load.

More details here: Outlook add-in requirements.

Can’t view, create or send to issue because IP allowlisting is enabled

Contact your organization admin to add these IP ranges to the IP allowlist. More information regarding IP allow listing can be found on Atlassian Support’s Specify IP addresses for product access page.

Outlook keeps prompting me to update the add-in

Unfortunately, there’s a bug in Outlook, clicking “Update” doesn’t always actually update the add-in to the latest version and Outlook keeps showing the prompt.

As a workaround, you can uninstall and install the add-in to make sure you have the latest version installed (no data loss involved).

Email attachments are not uploaded to issues as expected

When users send an email to Jira issue via the “Include email” checkbox in “Create issue” or “Send to issue” tabs they might find out that:

• email’s attachments do not appear in Jira ticket’s “Attachments” section
  • when they open an email from Jira ticket’s “Attached emails” section, the email doesn’t have attachments, and images in that email are broken3a432615-ce0b-4911-8e5a-6068587f3d1c.png

EWS API is used for this functionality and the issue might be is that add-in doesn't have access to EWS.

In order to fix it, you need to reach out to your Exchange server admins to grant access to EWS. Here’s the instruction on how to do it. If admins prefer to grant access to EWS only for Jira Cloud for Outlook they need to use atlassian-outlook-integration* User-Agent string:

Set-OrganizationConfig -EwsApplicationAccessPolicy:EnforceAllowList -EwsAllowList:"atlassian-outlook-integration*"

I have an issue, how can I get help?

Please submit an issue on our public issue tracker, we’re here to help.

I've got suggestions or questions, can I give you feedback?

Yes, please! We have plans for new features, but we'd love to hear how we can make this better for you. You can send us feedback directly from Outlook:

outlook-feedback.png

If you tick the "May we contact you to follow up on your feedback?" box we might reach out to better understand your needs.

I've tried it and I love it!

Nice! The team would love to hear that their hard work has paid off: if you could drop us a comment in the feedback form we'd really appreciate it, that's what keeps us going! If you would like to give us a little quote we could use when we announce the feature more widely we'd be eternally grateful.

125 comments

Abdullah Bamuhrez May 20, 2019

Hi

Will this be available for Jira Server?

Maksym Yokha
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2019

Hi @Abdullah Bamuhrez, thanks for your interest.

We’ll look at adding Server support based on how popular this add-on becomes in Cloud, interest from Server customers, as well as technical feasibility.

If you are looking for a solution that works with Jira Server or Data Center today, there are great options built by our partners available in the Atlassian Marketplace.

Knut Arne Ristebråten
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2019

Hi @Maksym Yokha ,

Are there a public Jira ticket available where customers can vote and follow ticket for interest in the Server/DataCenter support?
Many server/DataCenter customers does not use Jira Cloud, and it would be great to be able to direct them to a ticket to vote on.

A official integration made by Atlassian for Outlook integration is a very attractive solution from my point of view - even though other options are available from other developers.
I'll be crossing my fingers and waiting for a official integration for Jira Servers/DataCenters.

Brett Wyrick May 23, 2019

Any plans for it to work with the Outlook program within Office?

Maksym Yokha
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2019

Hi, @Knut Arne Ristebråten for your convenience I've created a ticket for the feature on our public issue tracker. You can vote for it so that it might be implemented after gathering a decent interest.

Maksym Yokha
Atlassian Team
May 23, 2019

@Brett Wyrick I'm not quite sure I understand the question.

If you're questioning Jira Cloud for Outlook support by desktop clients then I can say that it works on all desktop platforms since Office 2016, otherwise please clarify the question.

Rafael_Cordeiro June 5, 2019

I came here to search for a different question and saw this post. Coincidently, I had found out this Outlook Add-in just this morning and it's absolutely brilliant! I've shared with the whole team and its definitely going to save hours of the team's work every day. Many thanks! 

Like Fontane_ Matt likes this
Merve Nur Bas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2019

That would be so nice for Jira Server!

Dominik Meier June 13, 2019

Very useful and great add-in!

Still room for improvement, though. ;)

1) Images are lost when using the "Send to Issue" feature!
2) When using the "Create Issue" feature the reporter is set to the uploader, but it should be the sender of the mail
3) When using the Create Issue feature no Request Type is assigned. You have to do that manually or the customer won't be able to access the ticket or receive comments
4) When using the "Send to Issue" feature it should be possible to search for tickets by summary. Currnently the values in the dropdown box are left aligned though and most of the summary is cut off. Like this assignment to existing ticket is only possible if you know the task number.

Maksym Yokha
Atlassian Team
June 18, 2019

Hi @Dominik Meier !

1. We've created an internal bug for lost images while sending to issue.
  2. We will consider this as a feature request.
  3. It seems like you're talking about Service Desk kind of tickets here. We're starting to add Jira Service Desk support to our app and we've added this one to our backlog already.
  4. Search to issue searches by all text fields in the issue so it should search by summary as well.
  5. The last one seems to be a bug so we're about to fix that.

Thanks a lot for your feedback on the app! If you find any bugs or have a feature request I suggest submitting a ticket on a public issue tracker.

eclawson2 August 12, 2019

Does outlook or exchange have to be on the cloud to be able to install ?

Maksym Yokha
Atlassian Team
August 13, 2019

@eclawson2 The app should run on Exchange/Office365/Office.com accounts with clients starting from:

• Outlook 2016 for Mac
  • Outlook 2016 or later
  • Outlook for Android
  • Outlook for iOS
  • Outlook on the Web

Though, this add-in only works with Jira Cloud instances.

F_ Wolf August 19, 2019

Actually I'm a bit puzzled. Where to download the Outlook Desktop Addin? The office store lets me install the addin to my outlook.com account only. No possibility to download it somewhere. Any help to this?

Matteo Gianello August 19, 2019

Hi

maybe I miss something, but when i try to create an issue from a mail I select the site and the project but for issue type field I obtain every time "No issue types" ->"None of the issue types in this project are supported. Please select another project to create new issues."

It works only for a particular type of project?

Maksym Yokha
Atlassian Team
August 19, 2019

Hi @Matteo Gianello !
Currently the app does not support some issue types and custom fields needed in order to create issues.

Though, I want to assure you that the team is constantly working on improving the experience and adding more things into the issue creation process.

Matteo Gianello August 19, 2019

@Maksym Yokha Thank you for your answer maybe There are some custom fields in my projects that inibit the creation from the mail.

Thanks

Maksym Yokha
Atlassian Team
August 19, 2019

@F_ Wolf this is the link to Microsoft's add-in marketplace. You don't really need to download it, you just need to install it into your Outlook account.

On app's marketplace page there's a list of supported products where the add-in would work.

Note, that if you run a managed Outlook account (usually Exchange) your administrators might prevent you from installing add-ins.

eclawson2 August 19, 2019

@Maksym Yokha I have the same question as Florian. I understand you can just add it to your account, but is there absolutely no alternative to download an install file? We would prefer that method. One of the third party plugins made by yasoon has both a download option and an add to outlook option. Can a download method be made available ?

Trevor Thompson
Atlassian Team
August 19, 2019

Hi @eclawson2, what kind of installation file are you looking for?

A downloadable file that downloads the add-in directly to your machine?  

A manifest file to install via custom install?

Just trying to understand how we can help :) 

Trevor Thompson

Product Manager, Product Integrations

eclawson2 August 19, 2019

I'm looking for I guess an exe install file that will install the plugin into a local installation of outlook. not to the outlook account. @thomptr

Kiril Vigdorchick August 20, 2019

I installed it and it is great, but on OWA I do not see it.

Maksym Yokha
Atlassian Team
August 20, 2019

Hi @Kiril Vigdorchick are you using the "new Outlook" experience or the old one?

New

And it is not working if I have multiple inboxes in same Outlook, it shows an error on the other Inbox.

Maksym Yokha
Atlassian Team
August 20, 2019

In the new Outlook experience there's the menu at the right top corner of the letter:

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 1.58.22 PM.png

If you click it the installed add-ins would appear in the end of the list

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 2.01.48 PM.png

Though, if there's no Jira Cloud app I suggest you to click `Get add-ins` and try to get it from a marketplace.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events