Transfer attachments across Jira Cloud Instances via API

jiraone.jpg

One of the daunting things to do during a Cloud Migration from another Cloud Instance is usually the attachments. How do I transfer my attachments from one Jira instance to another? Well the simple answer would be, to use the Jira REST API, but how do you actually achieve this across multiple projects?

And here's where jiraone comes in, which is a REST API implementation of Jira and it helps solves problems like this one. All you simply need to do is download the library from pip as it's written in python.

pip install jiraone

Then you can be able to access all the methods, functions and classes available on it.

To give you an example of transferring attachments from one instance to another, all you need to do is

Firstly: Download a file report of the attachment structure into a flatten state, which contains the name of the file, the attachment url, the issue key where these files are located.

from jiraone import LOGIN, PROJECT

user = "email"
password = "token"
link = "https://sourceinstance.atlassian.net"
LOGIN(user=user, password=password, url=link)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    # the output of the file would be absolute to the directory where this python file is being executed from
    # you can use any valid jql query
    jql = "project%20in%20(COM%2C%20PYT)%20order%20by%20created%20DESC"
    PROJECT.get_attachments_on_projects(query=jql)

Use a valid JQL to output the required project in order to get a csv file of the required data structure. Once this call completes, you will get a result output in csv format.

Secondly: Use the data structure that you got, to transfer the attachment into a target instance. Please take note that the Project must be created first on the target instance with the same corresponding issue keys and you must have the needed permissions on the project. That way the attachments are uploaded to the right issues on the target instance.

from jiraone import LOGIN, PROJECT

user = "email"
password = "token"
link = "https://targetinstance.atlassian.net"
LOGIN(user=user, password=password, url=link)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    # the output of the file would be absolute to the directory where this 
    # afterwards, you can use the below method to move attachments across instances without downloading it
    PROJECT.move_attachments_across_instances()

If you're using your own file structure, let's say a csv file. you need to identify the index of the attachment. For this, 3 keyword args are used. key=0, attach=1, and file=2 -> all requires an integer value which correspond to the index of the csv column length.

PROJECT.move_attachments_across_instances(attach_file="new.csv", key=0, attach=1, file=2)

With the above, you can easily move attachments from one Jira cloud instances to another, without downloading the attachments to your local device. 

11 comments

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2021

Thank You @Prince Nyeche 

This helps !

Pramodh

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2021

Are the original users who uploaded the attachments, and the attachment creation dates, preserved?

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2021
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2021

No it doesn't let you do that yet. would be good if the api allows that in the body parameters.

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2021

This is really useful feature! Thanks for sharing this @Prince Nyeche !

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2021

Glad to hear it helps.

Manikanta December 20, 2021

Hi Prince,

It's throwing me the following error. I can confirm that I have valid jql passed as input.

Capture.PNG

Please suggest. Thanks. 

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 20, 2021

Hey @Manikanta 

This problem seems to happen on only windows OS and the version of python seems to vary. Your python version should be version 3.9.x and above. 

Manikanta December 22, 2021

Hi Prince,

Yes I'm on windows but upgraded to python 3.9.8 and still facing the issue. Is there something that I need to change on the source code?

Thanks,

Mani

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 23, 2021

You can open a bug request here and I can look into it as soon as possible. I believe it has something to do with the regular expression but I need to examine it further to know exactly. In the meantime, if it's urgent you can spin up a linux virtual machine on your windows. That way you should be able to use the same jiraone version to perform the attachment transfer. As the same code works for unix-like system (macOS and linux alike) without any issue.

Vijay Byndoor September 7, 2023

Hi, 
Can we use this between two Jira Data Center instances?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events