The new interface for Advanced Roadmaps is now live!

This article was updated from it's original text on May 10th, 2023. It was used for the early access program for the new navigation, which is now available to all Advanced Roadmaps users. It's currently in the process of rolling out to customers. You might not see this just yet, but you will soon!

Before we begin, I'd like to thank everyone who gave feedback during the EAP. Your feedback made this new experience better for all users, and also gives us great directions for future improvements.  

Hello, Advanced Roadmaps community! I’m Roi, Product Manager, and I'd like to introduce you to the new and improved interface for Advanced Roadmaps.

A look at the new interface

Here it is, in all its glory. Let’s take a look at the biggest changes:

Frame 18.png

1. See all the views of your plan - The first thing you’ll notice is that Advanced Roadmaps now has a nav on the left-hand side like the rest of Jira Software and makes it more intuitive to navigate. Switch between your plan Timeline, Teams, Releases, and the Dependency report with one click. If you have them enabled, Scenarios also have a new look.
  2. Collapse the sidebar - For more space, you can collapse the sidebar to hide these options until you need them.
  3. View settings has moved - The View settings menu is now shifted to the right, similarly to how it is in the project roadmap.

These are the landmark changes that you’ll need to know. Besides these, there are some smaller changes that might interest you.

• Plan settings is now in the same place as it is in Projects and Boards

• Plan owners now have the option to disable Autoscheduler in Plan settings if they prefer to specify their own schedule

Even though this interface is out of early access, we welcome your feedback. Use the Give feedback button in the upper right of the screen, and let us know what you think. 

Please shoot me any question or feedback you may have!

Thank you!

Roi

40 comments

Etai Leers April 13, 2023

Thanks Roi, the new interface looks good!

Like # people like this
Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2023

Thanks @Etai Leers , I'm glad you like it! Feel free to let us know further via the give feedback button or by commenting here. 

Like Barb Vegh likes this
Kendall Totten April 13, 2023

I'm excited to see this new tidier version of advanced roadmaps!

I'd like to share that I still think its missing something crucial: the ability to toggle off the visibility of the timeline view. Some people think its helpful, other see it as way too much visual noise and it makes this whole view too chaotic for them to use. 

If I could simply collapse the timeline view like I can with the other fields, that would be perfect. Or if it was a checkbox in the view settings... that would be a second-best option. (I have opened feature request tickets for this functionality, but if y'all are revamping this view mode, it seems relevant to ask here since hide/show is not all that complicated from an engineering perspective).

Currently I had to rebuild a whole roadmap view using a kanban board with tons of custom quick filters so people don't hyperventilate when they try to have roadmap conversations. Which is sad because the advanced roadmap view has a lot to offer... just allow us to pare it down.

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Shogbamu 'Sean' Oluwaseun April 14, 2023

Lovely upgrade for the Advance Roadmap. But I also echo @Kendall comment about the ability to toggle off the visibility of the timeline view and her improvement suggestions.

Like # people like this
Peter DelSordo April 14, 2023

Like the new layout...And just in time for the rollout of our standardized Company-Managed projects with Advanced Roadmaps! {:-)

Like # people like this
Karissa April 14, 2023

The new layout is great, but still lacking features in my opinion.

I believe that everyone should always see the most recent view overall and not just the last version they personally saved or needing to reset the plans all the time to see the most up to date view. This causes a lot of confusion and havoc in our company and while I appreciate the concept of everyone being able to have their own view settings it's just not really functional if you think about it from a project management perspective. 

Like # people like this
Elmer Hahn April 14, 2023
  • The new Advanced roadmap view doesn't really feel like an improvement. While I see what you are going for with adding the sidebar that leaves a lot of wasted space when a roadmap is already cramped at times. (Even with the ability to collapse its extra clicks to move around)
  • Taking those same planning selections and just having the across the top of the screen where they were  ( but not in a drop down ) would feel to me like a better use of space.
  • The view settings I use often so having the selector on the right side it’s a bit of a hindrance vs having it with the filters and dashboard selection. 
  • The Milestone color change to Jira blue instead of green also seems like an odd choice since visually indicating green for on track and red for off is an easier read to a quick glance. The blue gets lost. 
  • I like the addition of the color block for the Scenarios, and the quickness of the changing the various screens between Timeline, Teams, Releases, Dependencies Report is smooth. 
  • There are likely a lot of User Experience things that could still be improved before just a visual overhaul is done.
Like # people like this
Robin Silander April 17, 2023

I'd like to see an option to remove the gantt entirely from the view. I love having the ability to view and update multiple issues via a roadmap but the gantt often gets in the way

Like # people like this
Dale_F_Shelton_ctr April 17, 2023

When I initially disabled the view I was asked why, and I said I don't want reductions in the horizontal real estate.  I had missed the collapse arrow, so I withdrawal that objection and have been living with it to get more familiar.  So far so good.

Like # people like this
Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2023

Hi team,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback with us regarding the new layout. I appreciate your input and want you to know that my team is closely monitoring all feedback received, both here and directly from the product. While I don't have any updates on improvements at this time, I'd like to respond to your points with some initial commentary.

1. In regards to feedback that the side navigation leaves less real estate to the Plan's content. We added a few significant improvements to ensure you have as much space to view your issues, fields, and schedule:
    • The side nav could be collapsed to ensure you have more horizontal space
    • You can minimize the top header (two levels)
    • You can view and edit the plan in full-view mode
    • See the demonstration in the gif below
  2. Regarding the suggestion to toggle off the visibility of the timeline view, this is not on our roadmap yet (it's a great feature suggestion). However, I suggest you try minimizing your timeline and adding fields, as a workaround, as shown in the gif. P.S. you can save this view so you won't need to do it every time.
  3. Karisa, saved views improvements are not part of the new layout scope but I forwarded your feedback to the relevant team
  4. The milestone colour was changed to blue in order to align the experience with the rest of Jira, same as for the View Settings (this is aligned with the Project Roadmap)

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions or add additional comments on the above. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to improving Advanced Roadmaps layout based on your input.

mini-gif.gif

Like # people like this
sam_roberts April 20, 2023

+1 to keeping Filters and view settings closer together ;) 

Like # people like this
John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2023

I agree that many teams don't use the timeline/scheduling features that much and would just like to use Plans as a rollup portfolio view across multiple teams.   I have noticed that my settings for both the timeline width and the field width + visibility don't stay set.  I feel like I'm constantly re-expanding and re-sizing.  I want those to be sticky like they are in, say, Excel.  

I do like the new side nav though!

Like # people like this
Rodrigo Angulo April 26, 2023

It's appreciated that the changes are promoting a more synced view from projects to roadmap. I think my user will really love the changes . One question, is the team planning incorporate functions such as OKRs potentially similar to Atlassian Atlas? I think that we are missing themes or grouping of our highest level issues when it comes to the roadmap.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Like Roi Fine likes this
Kwame Afreh April 28, 2023

I am loving the new UI. It makes the search field much more visible and also the Plan settings. The positioning of the View Settings also brings consistency as we have the same in Project Roadmap.

Dependency report also positioned same as in project board report. In all, this is much improvement and makes it easy for new users to learn.

What I will change.

• I will keep the share functionality the same as we have in Filter (Advanced Issue Search )-Consistency
  • Introduce the possibility to change the owner of the Plan. This is based on real cases, where I have been creating Plan for teams that are new to advanced roadmap and then later unable to change the owner.
  • On a laptop the top area where we have search and other functions takes a lot of space. I will consider the possibility to collapse that areas same as we have on the left panel

Capture.JPG

Like # people like this
Abhi Singh May 10, 2023

Great improvements! Can we have an option to hide the 'x' in the roadmap view for cleaner screenshots? I would like to copy/paste screenshots into PowerPoint and have these look professional and affirmative (i.e. no 'x'). Thanks!

Like # people like this
Kendall Totten May 10, 2023

> On a laptop the top area where we have search and other functions takes a lot of space. I will consider the possibility to collapse that areas same as we have on the left panel

I originally came here to write, "I agree" with this comment, but I just realized there is a "go full screen" icon in the very bottom right corner that basically does this. The downside of the current full-screen mode is it hides the filters too.  I would love to have the filters stay visible, those are useful to be able to constantly access to work with a large backlog.

Like Roi Fine likes this
Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
May 10, 2023

@Kendall Totten , there is an option to expand the timeline size vertically other than the full-screen mode. There are two arrow icons visible when you hover on the top boarder of the timeline. Please refer to the gif I shared in a previous message here. 

Like Kendall Totten likes this
Mike Alexander May 15, 2023

The "Go full screen" option in the bottom right is great, but does not account for any announcement banner (the top of the timeline is hidden by the banner).

Steve Holland May 16, 2023

Looks good guys.  will go a long way in getting me to get more people in our org using plans

Kendall Totten May 18, 2023

@Roi Fine sorry it was difficult to see what was going on in the GIF, but that is a great feature!! Perhaps a UX improvement is to keep the arrows visible (at least the small, gray variations) that allow you to show / hide things at the top? It's very invisible.

Thank you!

Like Roi Fine likes this
Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
May 21, 2023

Thanks @Kendall Totten I've passed your feedback to my team! 

Like Kendall Totten likes this
Steve Zielinski May 23, 2023

See below.

@Roi Fine 

Deleting this comment. Tech support helped me identify the problem.

Removed.

Jana_Kyselova May 25, 2023

I have only one question - someone mentioned Milestone color changed to blue - how do you add milestones to Advanced roadmaps? Thank you. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events