Set the status of an issue while creating it

57 comments

Chris Austin January 30, 2023

Ah, I see. I've added some global transitions just to work around this, and added conditions that result in the undesired statuses being hidden from the initial list.

This is automagical but surprising - I would prefer to have the workflow editors allow multiple Create flows since it makes the behaviour explicit.

Like # people like this
Bart Kerstens February 3, 2023

We had it, but we don't want it. So thanks for the clear guideline on how to disable it. But Wouldn't this be more of an 'opt-in' feature, then an opt-out as standard?

But not a big issue, thanks to the clear guide. It took 2 mins to turn back off again.

Like Luke Ellery likes this
Kwame Afreh February 6, 2023

@Luke Ellery 

Thanks for this feature. However, I can't seem to get this to work. I have the admin access and the required settings have been turn on yet when creating issue, I can can't select other status other than the New in my case. My workflow is restricted, could that be the reason?

create.JPG

options.JPG

Luke Ellery
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2023

Hey @Kwame Afreh 

Yes that will be the reason. We don't want the feature to break or contradict existing workflows.

We show a status in the list if there is a transition into that status that meets these conditions:
  • It is initial (initial transitions are always allowed in the list, even if they have complicating factors, because the only complicating factors you can add to initial transitions have been tested to work)

OR

• It is global AND does not have any screens, post-functions, validators, triggers or rules
Like # people like this
Samantha Gardiner February 10, 2023

@Luke Ellery I am not aware of any special triggers, post-functions, or validators in my workflow. So I am not sure how I can have additional statuses show when I create an issue. Do you have more information on this that you can share?

Luke Ellery
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2023

@Samantha Gardiner in that case, this could be a bug or maybe some troubleshooting could fix it. Are you in a team managed or a company managed project? 

Sandra Axelsdottir February 13, 2023

Hi @Luke Ellery 

I agree with most of the feedback above, especially the one about JSM and having this as a behavior that you turn on/off through a scheme, preferably add it to screens like other fields (as it appears as a field on screens).

I would like to ask if there is a plan to make this available on JSM screens? It would be really helpful when supporting customers through phone calls, if you could create and updated the status on the ticket in the same action. Do you know if there is an open feature request for this to be available in JSM? If not, can you involve someone from JSM product team?

Samantha Gardiner February 13, 2023

@Luke Ellery It is a Company Managed project

Luke Ellery
Atlassian Team
February 13, 2023

Hey @Samantha Gardiner I've gone back to the team and put together some things you can check. If none of this works, then I'll need to raise it as a bug.  

Open the workflow editor:
Project settings > Workflows > Pencil icon.
OR
Open an issue, click the status field and click View workflow.

Pick a status you would expect to see in the status dropdown. Does it have a global transition? (an arrow from "All" to the status). This is required for a status to appear in the Create Issue window.

Click on the arrow from "All", and in the Transition popup that appears:
- Check that there are no triggers, no conditions, and no validators. If any of these are set on a transition it will not appear in Create Issue. 
- Check the Properties on the transition. Do any start with 'jira.permission`? If so, you might not have permission to use this transition.
- Check for Screens by Editing the transition. A new popup will appear. If a screen is selected the transition will not appear in Create Issue.

In both types of projects there are permissions that can prevent a status appearing in the Create Issue window. Jira has a very fine-grained permission structure, so the best way to test this is to create an issue and try to transition it to the status you want. If this works, then permissions are not stopping the status appearing in the Issue Create list.

Like Kalin U likes this
Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2023

I turned this feature off today, because it apparently doesn't play nicely with our workflows 

In some instances, when I tried to change the Status from the Create screen, I received a validation message that said I wasn't able to change this issue's status, and in others, I was given a single other-Status option, but in no case was that option "In Progress" or even "Selected for Development." Across the board, this has resulted in an inability to set issues to a useful first status from the Create Issue screen. 

I'm not sure why, but my hypothesis is it has something to do with workflows where no strict issue progression exists or is enforced. Our internal workflows are all set to create into "Backlog" for Software projects or "ToDo" for Work Management projects, and all statuses after the Create transition allow any status to transition into them.

Joshua Swanson March 13, 2023

This seems like a fantastic feature, unfortunately in the current state it does not seem to be useful. My understanding from the above is that you can only set an issue in a status that has no restrictions or conditions and can be transitioned to from any other status - is that right? That doesn't seem useful for any workflows but the most basic.

In our workflow, we have 3 initial statuses that a ticket could be in, but once they have moved away from these three then there are only limited cases where the issue can be transitioned back. My workaround at the moment is to have an initial status that is only used when creating the issue, and then immediately after creating it I have to manually transition to one of the real initial states. Ideally I would like to select the correct state when creating the issue, but that is not possible currently.

Are there any plans to improve this? It's a great idea, just too restrictively implemented currently.

Christina Eggel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 2, 2023

We would like to use this new feature to make fix version mandatory on all issues except for issues that are created with status Backlog.

Therefore, we have added a validation written as Jira expression using ScriptRunner Script in the 'Create' transition (which goes to status 'Open'):

issue.fixVersions.length > 0 || ['Backlog'].includes(issue.status.name)

However, even if status 'Backlog' is selected on the create issue screen, the criteria is not valid because the status is only set to 'Backlog' after issue creation.

@Luke Ellery Is there a Jira expression to check the status selected on the create issue screen?

Efrat Barak Zadok May 3, 2023

How come I don't see this field on my Jira Service Desk project?

I have the status field in the settings as ON

@Luke Ellery 

Luke Ellery
Atlassian Team
May 14, 2023

Hey @Efrat Barak Zadok apologies the feature isn't currently available on Jira Service Desk projects. While it's a global setting, it's only available in Jira Software at the moment. 

Luke Ellery
Atlassian Team
May 15, 2023

Hey @Christina Eggel 

Apologies for the delay. I had to ask around a bit to find some answers. Unfortunately, because the status transition happens after the issue is created, there is no way to validate based on the status at the moment.

However, I found a couple of options that aren't exactly what you're after, but might substitute.

If the project is company-managed, a simple option would be card coloring which would allow you to highlight cards in the kanban board and backlog for cards that meet certain criteria. https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/customize-cards/#Customizingcards-coloursConfiguringcardcolors

Otherwise, you could use Automation to detect changes to the fixVersion field, check the card Status and add a comment to the issue, or flag it.

Hope that helps!

Christina Eggel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 16, 2023

Thank you @Luke Ellery for checking this.

Sybren Maréchal
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 14, 2023

thanks! very helpful

Amira Badran
Atlassian Team
September 3, 2023

Hello Community 👋

I'm Amira, a product manager on the Jira Software team. We're making some improvements to the creation process on our Kanban and Scrum boards, and I'd love to have a chat with some of you to understand how creating into specific statuses can be helpful and when you might want to disable it.

If you're interested, let's have a conversation. You can use this link to schedule some time with me to chat.

I'm looking forward to connecting with you. Thanks so much! 🙌

Regards, 

Amira 

Marcin Radlak September 29, 2023

Hi, I wanted to disable it but cannot see it as an option to disable in the settings tab. How to get rid of this status field?

S Fong October 20, 2023

@Luke Ellery - I can't find the "Edit Setting" option from Settings > System to turn on or off this function.  Is this moved to somewhere else?

Like Marcin Radlak likes this
Luke Ellery
Atlassian Team
October 23, 2023

Should still be there @S Fong and @Marcin Radlak 

After clicking System  you should land on the General configuration page. There is a button on the top right of your screen there called Edit settings, that's the button you'll need to click to make changes. I've attached a screen shot here of the button so you can see where it sits on the page.

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 12.28.22 pm.png

Like S Fong likes this
Marcin Radlak October 23, 2023

@Luke Ellery this button I can find for sure, but what's next? What should I click after I clicked the edit settings button? Can you share the screen for that one as well please?

Luke Ellery
Atlassian Team
October 23, 2023

Hey @Marcin Radlak 

After clicking Edit settings, scroll down to the Options section and you'll see an option for Status there is a little description there for what you're switching off. Just select OFF If you'd like to turn off the feature. 

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 3.36.26 pm.png

Marcin Radlak October 23, 2023

@Luke Ellery alright. Finally got it. On read only view this option does not exist. Now I understand why edit settings is needed. And for some reason I did not see it there in edit settings... Now I can. Thanks for help!Screenshot_2023-10-24-07-00-50-16_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Joshua Swanson October 24, 2023

I've found a couple better alternative to this, to work around the fact that we (as I imagine most large companies do) have validators and post functions on all transitions.

The best solution I've found is to create a custom field which is a list of the possible issue statuses, and then add an automation rule so that on ticket creation it reads the value of the custom field and copies it into the status.

Another alternative I considered, is to build my own form on a separate webpage with the various options, including a choice of starting status, and then on submit have it call the jira api to create the issue. I was able to build this and get it working, but ultimately decided the automation solution was easier to use and maintain.

It does seem very strange to me that I have been able to use the built-in automation or api functionality to build a more effective solution to the problem - surely the actual jira devs know more about their own system then I do? Why is it so difficult to just have issues created in a different status?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events