Planning my wedding with Jira - Valentines Day Edition!

Hi everyone! Happy news - I’m getting married on April 3, 2021! I’m really excited and have had a lot of fun planning my wedding so far. In celebration of upcoming Valentine’s Day 💘, I wanted to share my story with the community! 

jira_wedding.png

I’ve been mostly using a combo of Jira, Trello and Google Docs to organize things, but nothing official for managing all the streams of work that has to happen. The time is ticking… I have less than 2 months. So, I’ve turned to Jira to help with my planning and core team to get it done!

Yay for me and Kyle! We’re getting married 4.3.21

Check out the screenshots below to see how I’ve used Jira to manage my work! Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 12.26.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 6.17.12 PM.png

Maid of honor and fiance’s tasks in swimlanes

swim1.pngswim2.png
The video below shows how I plan sprints

I’ve used Jira to help me visualize and keep track of all the moving parts of planning a big event - like a wedding. I use it in a lightweight way with monthly sprints, where I break up the activities that need to get done based on the timeline of my big day! It’s been really helpful to visualize the progress and keep focus on priorities. When you zoom out at the roadmap view, it can be really overwhelming to see all the things - a reflection of what wedding planning actually feels like, but within my board, I have a focused, manageable world of work. I also have swimlanes with my maid of honor and fiance’s tasks, which gives me comfort knowing there’s one less thing I have to worry about! It also allows me to provide daily standup reminders to my fiance to get his tasks done!

I like to use Jira for it’s powerful planning capabilities, even when I’m using it in a lightweight way... and for it’s baked in agile concepts like sprints and backlogs. Planning a wedding (in a pandemic no less) is incredibly stressful. There are lots of unknowns and you have to be agile and creative. On the creative side, I like to use Trello for visual brainstorming things like moodboards for my bridal party looks or arranging things like my seating plans. I almost always use custom fields with Trello to tag and capture information to help me when I sort things. I suppose I have way too much fun planning and organizing things. I must be a nerd since Jira and Trello are my playground!

11.png12.png

9 comments

Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2021

Hi @Jenifer Stewart 

This if that is to obtain party of JIRA

Congratulations that you are very happy

Cheers

Like Fadoua likes this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2021

Congratulations!

I've discussed using such tools with my wife over the years. Turns out that assigning tasks to each other is a ... sensitive operation for both of us :)

Like # people like this
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 13, 2021

Hey @Jenifer Stewart  wishing you lots of love and happiness!!

Thank you so much for sharing with us how you organize the whole thing using our loved atlassian tools. Let's see if I can handle all these stuff in the same way as you did, not sure if @Paloma Fondon Araujo  is comfortable enough to prepare our using tickets / cards <3.

Everybody knows I will assign all of them to her. Hahahahhaha

Regards

Like Fadoua likes this
Maren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 13, 2021

@Jenifer Stewart I love this! Breaking wedding planning into sprints is a great idea to manage all the logistics, and now you’ll always have these projects as a reminder of the journey. Congratulations to you and your partner!

Like # people like this
Ash Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2021

That is simply amazing - I feel like my wife and I will need to do something like this to manage the kids and household items. Thanks for sharing and all the best on the big day!

Like Jenifer Stewart likes this
Alex Janes March 12, 2021

This makes me extra glad Jira is free for small teams. Project manage ALL THE THINGS!!!!

Like Jenifer Stewart likes this
Jenifer Stewart
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 19, 2021

Quick update: Mission accomplished! This was most definitely the best day of my life so far.

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 11.20.58 AM.png

Like # people like this
Marguerite Macagnone February 14, 2023

This is amazing work - thank you for sharing it with us!  PS you look beautiful 

Like Fadoua likes this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2023

Sorry I am late to the party but you looked fabulous! A real princess!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events