Next-gen projects "Features" project setting

402 comments

Jemma Harris
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 9, 2019

Hi guys, will there be or is there any option to time estimations as well as story points? 

Carina Verdugo January 9, 2019

@Jemma Harris, the story points are available but I also miss time estimation as a native field, and not only as a "new field".

Like Jemma Harris likes this
Rene Davis January 9, 2019

@Eoin Ryan I just want to say stay the course.  As an admin there may be features I miss, but they mostly added value for me and not me team directly.  My team usage of Jira (and the information I can get about the work they are actually doing) has gone way up and the ease with which we can now do epic kick-off meetings is a huge win for us. Thanks for the innovated thinking in approaching next gen. 

I'm learning from using next gen that I over-complicated the process with all the customization which just made extra work for me and my team didn't get anything out of it. At the end of the day I do miss a few things, like controlling the order of how things appear on the board and sub-tasks, but overall it's a great experience.  Thanks!

Like # people like this
Paul Steckler January 9, 2019

+1 for Rene Davis' comment. My team will *only* use the next-gen projects now. The simplicity is the magic.

Fix the Roadmap stuff (i.e. so it aligns with dates for Stories) and we're done :-)

Deleted user January 9, 2019

Here, here. It's great to see Atlassian demonstrating effective agile development, staying the course, and being brave enough to put forward a new and improved product prior to having feature parity with its legacy product. Complaining that next-gen doesn't have feature parity with legacy or doesn't do everything in the same way is narrow-minded thinking IMO.

That said, please keep us informed as much and as often as you can as you make progress.

Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2019

Thanks @Rene Davis@Paul Steckler , and @[deleted] as this gives the team a shot in the arm for morale and motivation.

And thanks @Jacob Hebert and@Jeanette Irons because this helps the team focus in on where we need to improve. Our approach to next-gen projects has been to begin with a simple and lightweight structure, and progressively add more power to this structure over time. It's also worth noting we are rebuilding much of Jira Software front to back for next-gen projects which means we have limited opportunity to easily port features across from classic. What we haven't done a good enough job of doing is communicating this approach to you as you create your next-gen project. We'll take this feedback on board and see what further improvements we can make here.

Cheers

Like # people like this
johnny wyatt January 9, 2019

I agree with @curtis-eb. When complete, this version of Jira will be much improved. I can't however stop from pointing out the irony in this whole thing. The major feature for "next-gen" is the ability to build a Gantt style road map out of Epics. After many years of trying to make Agile work without having specific feature release schedules, it has become obvious that people who are spending money on software or software development are extremely interested in when their software will be "done". This is very important for being able to synchronize cross functional teams and let customers know when issues will be resolved. I have watched this thread as a microcosm of that experience. We are all trying to plan new projects with no understanding of when we will be able to utilize the road mapping and sub-task features because....wait for it....there are no dates on the next-gen road map.

If someone has been successful at making someone spend a lot of money of software without giving them some idea of when it will be done, please contact me, I need to know what book you are reading.

Like Adam Dubinsky likes this
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2019

@James Harwood the roadmap has primarily been focusing on large features so hasn't captured all the work we have been doing since late October.  We’ve made some great improvements to the performance of board, backlog, roadmap and issue view. Roadmap and backlog are now 30% faster to load on average, and the full view issue page is about 15% faster. We've also included story points in the burnup report, launched a deployments integration with Bitbucket Pipelines, been making strides towards handling board and backlog updates realtime on web, and Epic colours is about to start rolling out very soon. On top of this we expect a first iteration of subtasks this quarter. And plenty of more awesome things to come after that!! :)

Like Adam Dubinsky likes this
Jemma Harris
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 10, 2019

@Hannah McKenzieI echoe the sentiment of @Rene Davis who states that the simpler the better.

I like where the next gen is going. It reminds me of a hash between smart sheets, JIRA and the detail of Hansoft. 

I believe with a little more control in terms of 'options' for the project managers (i.e ability to track in time or points, have sub tasks, quickly see allocation per person, for example - without going too deep) this tool would work wonders.

I believe the strength of JIRA has always been its reputation to be less intimidating to dev's in terms of usability and readability than other products. I think next gen is on the right track to continuing and improving this further. 

Keep us dev's informed on progress Atlassian as we are excited!! :D 

Like Eoin likes this
Natalia Lezhai January 11, 2019

Will there be a possibility to have multiple boards in next-gen projects?

Danielle January 11, 2019

How do I add tasks/bugs/requirements etc to an epic without having to create the card first and then adding to an epic.

I would like to see the epic field in the card template but i cannot see a away to configure this..

Any ideas?

Rene Davis January 11, 2019

@Danielle You just add it directly to the epic on the board with the +

That's the easiest way.

@Rene Davis Im not quite sure you have understood my question. I know i can easily add an epic by selecting the + button. What i want to do for example is add a BUG to and epic. Right now i create the Bug and add to epic by selecting the more "..." button.

I would like to add a BUG to an EPIC upon creation of the BUG.

This is important for me because we are using EPICS to categorize and filter the view of our project board.

@Danielle if you are viewing your board, you scroll to the Epic (assuming your board is sorted by epic) you would like to add the issue to and hit the + at the top or bottom of the column (you can drop it in any part of the workflow) and a create issue screen pops up and you can select issue type and add to the epic directly.  The only gotcha of this method is that if you don't want it on the board but need it to go to the backlog instead you have to switch to the backlog view and use the three dot menu to send to backlog or drag it to there. I think the current design is intended so you don't have to ever use the + button on the side menu unless you just want to.  I did not ever find a way to add the epic as a field on the create issue screen there.

@Rene Davis thanks for explaining this. I do have my board grouped by "EPIC". Your comment would be perfect if I could see the "+" at the top or the bottom of the columns. The only + I see is on the side bar. Is there some extra configuration I need to do?

@Danielle I did not do anything to add this. Here's what I see:

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 3.36.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-11 at 3.37.06 PM.png

@Eoin Ryan any help for Danielle?

Like # people like this

@Rene Davis  as you can see, we do not have the same functionality. @Eoin Ryan if you can help that would be greatly appreciated.Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 3.50.26 PM.png

Deleted user January 11, 2019

Any plans for adding Quick Filters to the next-gen board?

Deleted user January 15, 2019

Hi, 

Maybe I have missed this further down the thread but just wanted to check if / when releases will be added to the next gen?

Like # people like this
Junhong
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 20, 2019

i can't set version in new-gen jira

FabioCalo January 21, 2019

Hi guys, my done tasks are not being moved out of the board after 2 weeks as before (oldest is 6 weeks) and also, when clicking "looking for an older issue", all of the done tasks that used to be there are not available any more. 

Like James Easton likes this
Piotrek
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 22, 2019

When we'll finally have first-class markdown support across the board?!

Jacob Hebert January 23, 2019

@Eoin Wanted to follow up on your comment from a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I posted my comment at the end of a day and was a tad more pessimistic than necessary. Sorry about that.

I do "get" what you're doing with next-gen, I think my comment at the time was much more about the communication piece. I don't have an issue with releasing a product that is still in development, that is clearly the agile process. I just thought it was odd that there was a major 'release' press event in October when you are so far from parity.

Additionally, I'm not sure that my specific issue is a parity issue or not. At my company, we rely heavily on the ability to log time against tasks for our reporting to our customers and stakeholders. In Next-Gen projects, I can log time against a task on the iOS app, but not on the web client. There is easily many things I don't understand about the way Next-Gen works behind the scenes, but this feels more like a bug than a feature in the pipeline.

All of these comments come from a place of love and reliance on JIRA. It's only upsetting when you don't have a feature because you aren't a service that we use for fun or to organize ourselves personally. Businesses rely on you, and when something changes when we aren't anticipating it, our processes can get messed up. Thanks for your active support in these comments.

Sudha Avasarala January 24, 2019

Is there a capability to add sub-tasks as part of stories?

Like Micky Thompson likes this
Ananth Sridhar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 25, 2019

Is there a way to add 'Themes' and 'Initiatives' using 'Next Gen Project' ? 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events