New Issue Create Experience - Phase-I Beta Program signup

What is the purpose of this post?

The purpose of this post is two-fold - to update our customers on the progress of the modernized Issue Create experience, and to announce the first phase of our Beta Access Program.

The work on the new Issue Create experience forging ahead and multiple teams are pitching in to bring this to customers as soon as possible. We’ve successfully developed and tested the core functionality of this experience internally - and we’re happy with the results.

With the Beta program, we’re now in a position to roll out this experience to a limited set of customers to test its performance in realistic environments and draw direct customer feedback.

What is the feature?

A modernized Issue Create experience that is faster, scalable, and consistent with the new Issue View experience. Moreover, all the multi-line fields (including the description field) now use the modern editor which is in line with the Issue View experience.

When will the Beta begin?

The tentative date for the Phase-I Beta program is 15th July 2021. The Beta program will run for a duration of one month.

What does the modernized Issue Create currently support?

We are still in the process of active development with Issue Create and hence, not all features are available at the moment. In the Phase I Beta program, the following is supported on the new Issue Create:

• Jira Software issues creation only

• Issues can be created via the new Issue Create experience when you attempt to create an issue using:

• The Create button on the top navigation bar

• The shortcut key 'C'
      We are actively working to support more Issue create trigger points and they will be included in the second phase of our Beta program.

• The following fields are currently supported:

• System and Software fields: Project, Attachment, Assignee, Components, Description, Environment, DueDate, FixVersions, Versions, IssueLinks, IssueType, RequestType, Labels, Priority, Reporter, Resolution, Security, Summary, IssueRestriction, Sprint, Epic link, Epic status, Epic Label, Epic color, Story points, Issue color, Cascading select.

• Standard custom fields and JPO fields: Custom text field, Custom field, Custom url field, Custom field number, Date picker, Date time picker, Select custom field, Multiselect custom field, Single Version custom field, Multi version custom field, Radio custom field, Checkboxes custom field, Custom field labels, Single user picker, Multi user picker, Custom people field, Group picker, Multi group picker, Custom field team, Target start locked field, Target End locked field. 

• An option for individual users can switch back to the old Issue create experience via Jira Labs in the user’s personal settings

Note: If the new Issue Create experience is enabled in your tenant and if a user were to create an issue from any other trigger point not mentioned above, the user will be presented with the old (current) Issue Create experience. This means that users may see a different Issue create experience depending on where they attempt to create an issue.

What is currently not supported on the modernized Issue Create?

The following is not supported as part of Phase-I Beta for the modernized Issue Create experience:

• Worklog, Time Tracking, Message fields

• Jira Service Management specific fields

• Connect fields

• App fields

• Custom Forge fields

• The Configure fields functionality

If your users use some or all of these features, we recommend that you carefully consider joining the new Issue Create experience Beta program. Please note that we are actively working on adding support to all of the above features and they will be available by the time the new Issue Create experience is rolled out to all customers.

What’s not changed?

The Layout
Conscious efforts have been made to ensure that changes to the layout of the new Issue Create are kept at a minimum when compared with the layout of the current Issue Create. This was done to minimize friction and to make it easy for our users to move to the new experience.

Who is eligible to apply for the Phase-I of the Beta program?

The Phase-I of our Beta program is focused on testing the core functionality of the new Issue Create experience. Our eligibility criteria for Phase-I Beta program are narrow. We will be running a larger Beta soon where a more diverse set of customers will be invited to participate.

The criteria for eligibility for the Phase-I Issue Create Beta is:

• The customer should have a JSW license only (JSM/J4M support is still in progress)

• The number of users on the tenant should be around between 500 - 5000

• The number of custom fields on your tenant should be less than 700

• The number of issues created per month on average must be greater than 5000

How can I apply?

If you meet the criteria above and wish to participate in the new Jira Issue Create Beta program, please comment on this post and we will reach out to you at the earliest. Every application will be considered. However, due to limited slots of the Beta, we will not be able to include everyone. The last date to apply is 8th July 2021.

What is the level of involvement required by Beta customers if selected?

Once enabled in your instance, selected Beta customers will be requested to:

• Track Issue Create performance and usage on their instances

• Illicit feedback from users to understand the usability

• Offer suggestions on how the experience can be further improved

How will it be enabled on my tenant?

Once your application to the new Issue create experience Beta is accepted, Atlassian Product and Engineering representatives will contact you to share more information, add you to a private community group, answer any questions you may have, and set up timelines along with a mechanism for information and feedback sharing.

Once the administrative and operational items are completed, Atlassian will enable the new functionality from our end and notify you once it is active in your tenant.

How can customers raise bugs related to the new Issue Create experience?

Customers selected for the Beta program will be able to contact the product and engineering teams directly via a private Community group. This group will be actively monitored by product and engineering members.

What if something goes wrong or the customer does not want the new Issue Create experience anymore?

At any time, customers and users on the customer’s tenant have the following options:

• At a user level, if a user doesn’t wish to create issues via the new Issue Create experience, then the user can turn off the new experience by going to Personal Settings > Jira Labs > Switch to the old experience. The switch is instant.

• At an instance level, Atlassian can turn off the new Issue Create experience for all users on the instance. The customer can make a request via the private community group. The maximum turnaround time for Atlassian to respond to your request to turn the experience off for all users will be 24 hours.

When will Phase-II Beta of the modernized Issue Create experience happen?

Our current estimates to roll this feature out to all users in December 2021. However, due to COVID, our timelines continue to be impacted. We are working to minimize delays and will share updates with our customers as soon as new information is available.

15 comments

Ganesh Chandra Pandey June 28, 2021

i want to participate in the beta program

Phil June 28, 2021

I would like to participate in the beta

Tobias Viehweger July 4, 2021

I would like to join as well!

Dirk Wenke July 5, 2021

We would like to participate as well.

Kevin Dangoor July 6, 2021

We would like to participate in the beta.

Arjoon Som
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 6, 2021

Hi All, 

Thank you for your willingness to participate in our Beta program. We will reach out to you shortly over email. Kindly double-check that your email address in Community is filled out and correct. 

Arjoon Som
Sr. PM, Jira Cloud

tomasfejfar July 7, 2021

We would like to participate in beta as well

Dmytro Makhno July 26, 2021

Looking forward for a smaller tenants. We have less than 100 users. However often create issue with dummy description and than editing it with nice experience.

Thanks!

Fagner Santos August 4, 2021

We would like to participate

G August 6, 2021

I see that it says "The customer should have a JSW license only..." and since we have many products including Jira Software in our instances, I guess that means that we cannot participate in the beta, correct?  Besides the other Atlassian products, for Jira we have Jira Service Management, Jira Software, Jira Business projects (which I guess is lumped in with software or it is considered Work Management or Core... not really sure what that is considered anymore).

Or is that statement meaning that the beta will only apply to Jira Software but it is ok if you have the other project types and they will be unaffected?  If that is the case, we can help.

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2021

@Arjoon Som - still looking for testers? Would love to check this out!

Mathias Dirksmeier September 17, 2021

@Arjoon Som Can you give an update on the result of the Beta? If this was to last a month, what's the outcome? Will we see this in prod soon? 

Like Dave Liao likes this
Arjoon Som
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2021

Hi Everyone,

A small update. The first phase of the Beta program is complete and the results have been very positive. We are now testing performance at scale with Enterprise sized tenants as part of our upcoming Phase-II Beta program. The project is on track and we are hoping to roll this out to all customers near the end of this calendar year (tentative). 

Some more details here 

Thank you,
Arjoon Som
Sr. PM, Jira Cloud

Like # people like this
G September 2, 2022

When are transition screens going to be upgraded to the new editor?  They are more important than create screens since there is no workaround.

Bhim Raju December 6, 2022

Hi Arjoon,

I'm looking to run beta program for an existing product using Jira. There is no clear documentation available around -"How to run Beta Testing Programs using Jira".

Can you please help?

Thanks

Bhim

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events