New! Admin users get more control on product release schedule

Hi Atlassian Community,

I’m Matt and I’ve recently taken over the release tracks experience from my colleague Ching who started this initiative months ago and initially reached out to you all in January 2020. On behalf of her and the team, I wanted to thank all the participants who gave their time and provided feedback. The discussions we had with you were instrumental in helping us design and deliver this feature.

Today, I am happy to announce that the release tracks feature is now available to all Premium and Enterprise plan customers. If you are an organization admin and have Jira Software, Jira Service Management or Confluence cloud, you will have release tracks available for those product instances. With release tracks, you’ll now have 3 release schedule options to choose from - continuous, bundled, and preview (for sandboxes only). Here’s a graphic of how the different tracks work together.

image-20210104-004955.png

You can access release tracks from your administration overview at admin.atlassian.com, under the Products tab.

Below are the differences amongst the release tracks:

• Continuous track - Product changes are released as soon as they are available. Products are on the continuous release track by default. They receive changes and features as soon as they become available.

• Bundled track - Product changes are on a predictable schedule and released every 2 weeks, allowing you more time to prepare & plan updates within your organization.

• Preview track - This track is exclusive for sandboxes. A sandbox on the preview track receives bundled track changes two weeks before they are rolled out to your linked production instance.

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 1.01.40 PM.png

In addition, admins can view upcoming bundled changes to products, which provides more visibility on what changes are coming your way so you have more information to plan ahead.

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 1.04.35 PM.png

For more information about this feature, please refer to our feature documentation.

There's plenty more to come on release tracks, so we would love to hear any feedback to help us improve this feature. To provide feedback, please leave comments below or on our public feature ticket.

Cheers,

Matt

6 comments

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2021

The future is looking bright with Cloud. I love it.

Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2021

Looks very interesting Matt!

I'll dig into it and test it out :)

Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2021

Thanks @Prince Nyeche ! That's very kind of you to say. I couldn't agree more ;) 

@Jimi Wikman give it a whirl and let us know if you have any feedback! 

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2021

@Matt Tse  Wow! That's so minimizing pains from our end users :) 

Thanks for that option! 

I will test it. 

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2021

Thanks @Matt Tse  for sharing this feature update. It seems a very useful feature for JIRA Cloud Admins.

I am not sure if it already exists, but I was wondering if there would be an option/button on the screen where we can see the upcoming product changes in order to share these upcoming product changes with the users via an email, before they are rolled out to them. This option will make it more easier for Jira Admins to send an advance announcement of upcoming changes.

Like Chris.Castillo likes this
Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 31, 2021

Thanks @Gonchik Tsymzhitov , let us know how you go with it!

@Taranjeet Singh , unfortunately we don't have anything like that today. Great idea though! This is something our team came up with in our initial brainstorm as well. We'll be looking into it more in the coming months, so please do stay tuned.

If you haven't already, I'd encourage you to join our cloud change management community group as that's where we'll be giving more regular updates and seeking more feedback as we get into ideation mode.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events