My Top 10 Favorite Features in the New Jira Software Cloud

126 comments

Sarah Pinns October 23, 2018

Hi @Jason Wong our team is very excited about these new features, especially the roadmap! Are these features only available for cloud? Or are they available in a server instance as well?

Benjamin Peikes October 23, 2018

The push to Jira 2.0, while letting the current product slide is inexcusable. We'll never use the new projects because you can't transition to them without losing an enormous amount of functionality. The whole reason we like Jira is it's flexibility to create workflows that make sense for the business.

Top that off with issues that have remained open for years, some of which require exactly 10 lines of javascript integrated (I know because we inject them into the page to get the drag and drop subtask functionality). We are at the point where we've stopped recommending Jira to other people.

David Ducrest October 23, 2018

The "improvements" of the last year have done nothing but slow down my productivity while increasing my frustration.

Jira is becoming a threat to my blood pressure.

Brian Strickler October 23, 2018

@Lynn Stahl From what I have seen, you are correct.  No Workflows yet.  I love being able to link Issues to Roadmaps but the Workflow is crucial for me in a SOX-complaint development department.  

@Ben Boucher There absolutely needs to be a conversion process because there is no way I am going to restart some of my projects.  

James H October 23, 2018

We, like other commenters use Jira for JSD (Server).  Would be good to have some reassurance that Jira and JSD Server will continue to be properly developed and maintained and that resource isn’t being pulled from bug fixes and feature requests to focus on shiny new front ends. 

Jason Freeman October 23, 2018

I almost cannot believe what I have been reading.

I fully expected to read this article just to see what some of the new features are, and I'm coming away thinking that my organization won't be able to use JSD at all in the near future.  I'm in shock.

Xaviar Steavenson October 23, 2018

It really would've been nice to have noted this as 'Jira Cloud 2.0' or something. At some point since this product is not the same as Jira on prem, ya'll need to consider some name changes somewhere -- or at least differentiate the two in some fashion in emails.

Wasted a fair amount of time looking at this before realizing this doesn't apply at all to On Prem users.

Brian Strickler October 23, 2018

@Jason Freeman Not sure its time to run away yet...  I am assuming (which could be completely wrong) that this is still in Beta and that the NextGen (2.0) project will be getting the remaining Project features.... 

could be wrong though. 

Jason Freeman October 23, 2018

@Brian Strickler I hope you are right.  Getting here was a nightmare, and going somewhere else would be, too.

Jeff Audette October 23, 2018

When (or if) is Jira 2.0 planned for server environments? i.e. will it only be a cloud service for the near future?

Is there a plan in the Jira roadmap to move Jira to cloud hosting exclusively? i.e. no more local hosted server environment? If so, what is the timeline?

Jeff

Henk Keuris October 23, 2018

Are any of these coming to Jira server/data center too? We're really interested in anything that can remove the administrative burden on our jira admins.

Lynn Stahl October 23, 2018

AFAIK, these features are out in the wild right now. I am able to create 'next-gen' projects and roadmaps within our JIRA cloud instance.

If we lose the ability to have managed workflows which I have literally spent the last 3 months architecting, I'm not sure what I'll do.

Fred Rush October 23, 2018

Sadly, all fluff.  A shiny board are you joking I'm supposed to be impressed by that?  How about doing something useful, like fixing search to actually return the item which when you actually type the first 3 words in the title, the item doesn't show up on the entire first page of results?

Alan Williams October 23, 2018

Looks great, but I didn't see anything surrounding the unification of projects in a scaled agile environment?  For example...I'd like to streamline sprint names and fix versions and report on them spanning several projects.

Jason Campbell October 23, 2018

If we switch to next-gen, will we still be able to access all of the past projects and records created to date? The data within is a useful knowledge base for us that I do not want to lose.

Dave Furlani October 23, 2018

This blog post could benefit from some screenshots - not all of us have time to go through registration, dummy data entry and playing with a sandpit as step 1 to understanding a change.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 23, 2018

Is this New Jira offering only applicable to Jira cloud env?  If so, what is the roadmap for Jira Data Center environment to have those features?

Jerônimo Lopes October 23, 2018

+1 for legacy project migration/conversion tools. We rarely open all new projects, instead we persist and continue to use a small number of projects and shared Epics across them for ongoing business and development work.

Chris Jones October 23, 2018

Like many of the other JIRA Server users i would like to know what's planned, Atlassian please keep your customers informed.

megha kuruvilla October 23, 2018

Will the roadmap feature be made available to exisiting classic projects too? i loved the roadmap, but cant converting exisiting project boards to new gen is not practical !!! Please help :D 

Kevin Lau October 23, 2018

Like @aponski question on the "Roadmap" feature earlier. Is this available for existing projects or new ones using the classic view?  It would be a great help in our planning session.

Sravan Kumar October 23, 2018

@Jason Wong It would be nice to see such updates for JIRA server as well coz I believe many of the users are still using standalone instances due to customization the varied features we crave for as an enterprise.
We are still part of the ecosystem and hope Atlassian will not leave all of us in hind sight.

Robert M_ Münch October 23, 2018

Of course, I have all the questions others have too.

I'm really wondering how hard it seems to be to imagine the upcoming questions when publishing such a post... doesn't give much confidence into the quality of work at Jira.

BTW: All the Jira people publishing things should read "The pyramid principle" where you can learn how to do good structured documents for complex topics.

גלעד כץ October 24, 2018

Hi, the roadmap addition is great and was really necessary so thanks. Would be awesome if we could convert current classic projects to the new experience. Also, when I open a new project and choose "change template" I see only the classic options - Kanban / Scrum, are there any more options available?

Thanks, Gilad

Michael Mueller October 24, 2018

Hi there

We are running so many classic projects in the cloud - controlled by 2 admins - we would need all these fancy improvements in the classic projects as well. 

What about that?
Is there somewhere a public roadmap available for the  Atlassian Jira classic procucts as well ?  - I only can find a public atlassians roadmap for next gen projects.

Best regards, Michael.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events