Mapping out workflow transitions

It has been a long time since I have configured the transitions on a workflow from scratch.

Yesterday I updated the statuses available in a board we use to track potential, current, and future customers. Not satisfied with allowing all statuses to transition to all other statuses I used a spreadsheet to map out the allowable transitions.

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 2.12.33 PM.png

I kept the transitions simple creating "Move to [status name]" transitions and reusing them. There are no specific screens (yet).

I used the diagram view to add the transition links and then used the text view to check off each of my colours boxes to make sure nothing was missed.

How do you map out and configure workflow transitions?

1 comment

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2019

That's useful, particularly for the admin implementing the workflow. I've seen spreadsheets that listed all the source statuses and their transitions, one per row but this is more compact for smaller numbers of statuses. In each cell you could list in some way conditions, validators, post functions and the transition screen name

My colleague Danny suggested having a tab to list the statuses and then generate the table from that list. 

Or even use a Confluence table

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events