Making the new issue view work for you

51 comments

Martin Tilma January 17, 2023

Is there a way in the new view to add already attached images as thumbnail in the description or comments? I don't want to keep the old view. But this is one of the features I really miss.

screenshot-1 (1).png

Update:
Found it: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Jira-Cloud-issue-view-Insert-attachments-already-on-an-issue/ba-p/2217045

Like Kalin U likes this
Per Olofsson January 19, 2023

Are you sure that you are listening to your customers?

The new view is more cumbersome to work with, usually requires a set of clicks to do simple things - example: change issue-type.

Like # people like this
Harold Prestage January 20, 2023

@Ahmud Auleear when will you guys be fixing the ability to see groups, like having an assignment group picker as you have in the old view, all the assignment groups we preconfigured are not all listed in the assignment groups in the new view 

I have previously reported the issue to the support team and you guys suggested we use the old view as a workaround, which doesn't help us going forward since you guys are planning to remove the old view

Like # people like this
Neil Murray January 30, 2023

Nothing here has answered the need for "text" or markdown mode editing which a lot of complaints have raised.

Like # people like this
Darton, Peter January 30, 2023

Question: How do we correct/edit the markup using the new view?

What I've previously done is switched to the old view and used the editor there but you're saying that you're going to take it away ... and the new WYSIWYG editor is a long way off being feature-complete.

I understand that the old editor wasn't kind to non-technical users and thus having a WYSIWYG mode that gives easy access to commonly-used functionality would be a nice addition .... but it's only nice when it's an _addition_ and NOT at the cost of losing all other functionality.

e.g. Why not let users toggle between WYSIWYG and markup?
You could even default to WYSIWYG ... but taking away the ability to edit the markup without providing any means of tweaking the formatting through any other way is going to dissuade technical users from using JIRA.
i.e. if I can't write my data into JIRA and make it look the way I need it to look, I'm going to write my data elsewhere.

...and if technical users (the ones typically _doing_ the tasks JIRA is managing) stop putting useful data into JIRA (e.g. using GitHub issues instead) then JIRA will cease to be the "one source of truth", and project managers will ultimately end up following their developers.

TL;DR: The ability to edit text is *critical* and the new WYSIWYG editing mode is insufficient on its own.

Like # people like this
Arthur Zonnenberg January 30, 2023

For those who have specific suggestions or how to improve the new issue view, comment and vote for it here (each specific suggestion is a subtask). If it’s not here, lodge a suggestion.

Besides the fact that I cannot lodge any suggestion:

We're not requesting more features, we're requesting existing features.

This is 101 of migrating a UX. It's perfectly fine that you try to migrate users to a new UX, but existing functionality that is in use and providing business value, must be preserved. Otherwise, more and more users will migrate to other project management software, that does listen to user concerns.

Like # people like this
David Mitchell January 30, 2023

Delete the new view. Name the old view the new view, and rake in the praise. 

Like # people like this
Napat Jungpatanaprecha January 30, 2023

How do we set the permission who can see our work log or not in the new view? The old view have this field in the create and eddit Jira pages.

Like William likes this
jeffrey.smith February 1, 2023

I struggle to understand why Atlassian would trash something that worked well and looked great.  The new view is terrible compared to the old view.  The old view was better laid out and not taking up extra screen real estate.  The workflow in the old view was great.  Not having the ability to do markup, who would ever have thought that it would be a good idea to remove that feature? I am not a fan of the screenshots as attachments instead of the text.  What needs to happen is having multiple skins in case some of us do not want to use your new UI.  Also, the cloud version is very slow compared to the on-prem. version that we had.   

Like # people like this
William February 5, 2023

When I scanned the issues agains the "new view" for key things actually asked for or reported; there was an endless series of duplicate-entries.  I haven't found any 'resolved' issue or task. I spent enough time looking.  Just pick one markdown -- did any one actually Fix-resolve this?  It doesn't look like it and that might sum-up the problems with the new view, it is difficult to get things done.

Like # people like this
Colin February 6, 2023

I have made good on my threat and canceled my subscription, seeing as the old view appears to be gone now.

Like # people like this
Peter Scholtens February 7, 2023

Anyone found a way yet to get around the 'new' view and make the old one work again?

We give Atlassian untill the billing period ends, then we\ll try to find something workable

Like # people like this
Arthur Zonnenberg February 7, 2023

There are alternatives to JIRA Atlassian software, with easy tools to import existing JIRA projects. They will listen to users, until they get too large of course.

Like # people like this
Colin February 8, 2023

Here, on the last couple days before my subscription runs out, I discover that you can't create a new Fix Version just by typing in the form input any more, like the old view could do. Yet another piece of basic functionality just whiffed on. Good riddance!

William February 9, 2023

Another new limitation discovery -- New for me that is someone probably reported this already.  When I have sent ro received a significant email relating to an issue I have pasted the HTML email into the comments or worklog section.

May be it was accidental that formatted text retained formatting.  I've noticed that pasting formatted text in Confluence also drops all the bullet points and indenting, etc. 

It seems to me, that a WISIWIG editor is not at all useful when it cannot past WISIWIG from a generic past buffer.  It is like only 70% WISIWIG or something.

Like # people like this
Rossen Karaivanov February 9, 2023

Back in the 90s, there was a period of time when Web designers thought that frames are cool. So they designed pages with several frames; a notable example were the first version of Java's API docs. Most of the page users hated them, because you needed to click and scroll different parts of the page, and the frames themselves were small and did not provide much space for the content. On top of this, screens were smaller and their resolution was low. Web designers at the time got the feedback, and stopped using frames.

Now, more than 20 years later, Atlassian makes the same mistakes with JIRA. A real shame.

Like # people like this
Paolo Ganci February 14, 2023

So the old view is gone and no plans to bring back the old nice markup editor: 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72631

At this point in time, we have no plans to provide users with a plain text editor. I will be closing this ticket as “Won’t Do.” I know this isn’t the outcome you were hoping for. Some context regarding this decision is shared below. My team and I however are open to better understanding where the editor falls short for you, and exploring ways in which your core use cases can be supported without necessarily relying on a plain text editor.

Greg Bailey February 14, 2023

Atlassian, despite the requests of a large number of your customers, you've fully removed the original view and now force your customers to use your poorly designed and less functional "new view".

You've made working with your product a pain for me and many others. I will advocate that my company move off of Atlassian. I think many others will too.

Like # people like this
Chihara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2023

Because of Atlassian Tech. Support menmber's recommendation, I post this bug

JRACLOUD-80536 Cannot preview a password protected file, error shows Something Went Wrong

Like Evern Fong likes this
naruhito_chihara_ts March 9, 2023

JRACLOUD-80536 is "suggestion".  And JRACLOUD-74522 is bug report.

Digital signature in PDF is not visible when previewed in JIRA

John Rocha March 10, 2023

Here's a new one for folks to watch out for, and vote.

JRACLOUD-80676 Typing a Markdown (.md) file in the editor is considered an URL

In summary:

Text that ends with .md is converted to a URL.

Type "README.md" into the WYSIWYG editor and a link is automatically added to gitcareer.com, type "gov.md" and a link is added to the republic of Moldovia's site.

However, if you cut and paste "README.md" into the WYSIWYG editor then the text is changed to "Changelog" and then the link is added. A double fault.

Like # people like this
John Rocha March 15, 2023

Greetings all,  This is another NEW view regression bug that Atlassian marked as a feature request.

Be sure to add your votes.

JRACLOUD-75719 Ability to collapse the single comments in the new issue view

Like Jason M. likes this
Olena Logvinova March 29, 2023

In the initial thread, several people mentioned the 'rank to top/to bottom' feature that was recently removed. But I found its replacement - in the 'Child issues' area, we have the 'Order by' menu with the 'Status' option. It perfectly works for me instead of the former 'rank to top/bottom' one.

The Atlassian Team should definitely describe alternatives for the removed functionality to make their users' life easier.

Arthur Zonnenberg March 31, 2023

@Olena Logvinova thanks, but the Child issues area is not really an alternative. That only shows you issues under a single Epic, instead of the Backlog, which shows you issues under all Epics.

If you only have a single Epic to manage, bless you, but many Product Owners have more than one Epic in their Project and view the Backlog for a Project as such. Within this Backlog, somewhere, is the issue that is important that you were just working on. You need to search it, right click it, and only then can you Rank it to Top. Or it was not so important now, something to refine later, Rank to Bottom.

When you have a refinement meeting with your team, you typically pick up issues from the Top of the Backlog. Hope this helps you understand.

Olena Logvinova March 31, 2023

@Arthur Zonnenberg , gotcha! Thanks God, I only use this feature for a single epic)

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events