Keyboard shortcuts have arrived for next-gen projects!

Hi Atlassian Community!

My name is Ivan, and I’m a Product Manager on Jira Software Cloud.

I’m pleased to announce that keyboard shortcuts have arrived for next-gen projects!

Keyboard shortcuts are a table-stakes feature of a modern cloud SaaS product in 2020. Admins and end-users across both SMBs to enterprises will realize valuable efficiency gains from keyboard shortcuts.

We’ve collected feedback from users around the lack of shortcuts, and we’re here to address that:

In next-gen projects, I miss the keyboard shortcuts badly. This is particularly true on the Board, but also in the Backlog. Too many operations require either a right click or--much worse--clicking through on the item to get to the issue mini-view. Too many clicks, too slow. The particular workflow I was trying to do today was assigning issues to folks from the Board. But the root of the pain is the lack of keyboard shortcuts.

A lot of the keyboard shortcuts no longer work. Navigating boards, assigning labels etc. This makes Jira much more time-consuming to use. Please fix this!

Nothing will speed up your work like keyboard shortcuts, making you efficient day-to-day.

Who doesn’t want to shave off those seconds navigating around Jira when all they need is a few taps on their keyboards? To know what shortcuts you have in next-gen, hit ? when you’re in a next-gen project. You’ll see the shortcuts specific to next-gen projects.

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 5.21.26 pm.png

Now that you know what shortcuts, I’ll paint a few scenarios that will help you become a power user of Jira - so you can get your work done fast!

FOCUS

1. Find an issue quickly.

Focus your board and backlog on the issues that match your search field with f, collapsing all content that aren’t matching your searched field.

f-shortcut.gif

2. Open up a detailed view of the issue.

Open up an issue in a detailed view with o or enter and quit it via ESC, or toggle the detailed issue view with t when you’re in the sidebar panel view of the issue view on the board and backlog.

t-shortcut.gif

3. Toggle board swimlanes to get a quick view of their statuses, as well as their children.

Understand how a parent issue is progressing by reviewing its status, and collapse/expand during team stand-ups to focus on each assignee’s work with -.

-shortcut.gif

ISSUE ACTIONS

1. Assign an issue to yourself or others.

Assign an issue to yourself with i, or to others with a.

• Bonus tip: You can also unassign yourself from an issue with i when the issue view is closed!

assigntome_i_shortcut.gif

assigning_assignees_a.gif

2. Edit labels.

Change the label that an issue is associated with through l.

l_SHORTCUT.gif

2. Comment on an issue.

Add an important comment quickly with m.

m_shortcut.gif

NAVIGATE

1. Switch between views of issues.

Switch between our most highly-used views, Backlog / Board / Reports / Roadmap with 1, 2, 3, 4.

1-2-3-4-shortcut.gif

2. Go up/down issues within columns.

Navigate to the issue you want with the j, k shortcuts on the backlog and board. This goes back to the early days of UNIX, where J and K are mapped to previous and next before the advent of arrow keys. If you combine these with those in ISSUE ACTIONS, you can quickly assign/update issues without ever using your mouse!

jk-shortcuts.gif

3. Jump between board columns.

Jump between board columns without having to go through each individual issue using n, p.

np-shortcuts.gif

DISABLE

If you’re using a screen-reader and doesn’t want it to clash with these shortcuts, or dislike accidental triggers, you can also disable these shortcuts through the dialog menu with the disabling toggle.

WHAT'S NEXT?

I’ve got suggestions or questions – how can I provide feedback?

• Provide feedback using the “Give feedback” link in the bottom left of your project navigation.

• Feel free to reach out to our support team if you have any suggestions.

• Learn more about using this feature in our support documentation.

15 comments

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2020

Yes. This is great for people like me, who prefer keyboard over mouse and trackpad.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2020

This is really cool thanks for the update @Ivan Teong!

Like # people like this
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 22, 2020

Nice work team!

Like Ivan Teong likes this
George Mihailoff September 24, 2020

This is great! Could you please also make shortcuts from apps to work -- https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/ACJIRA-2188

Like Ivan Teong likes this
thomasvanhelden October 5, 2020

Hey @Ivan Teong Great work on implementing these. In old Jira you can use the . to open a quick command menu. From there you can quickly do actions or adjust fields.

• So ". Ep" would auto complete to Epic Link which would allow you to set one without touching a mouse.
  • Same for ". Del" would allow deleting tickets
  • Perhaps most critical, the "s t" and "s b" hotkeys in the backlog view to send issues to Top or Bottom. The new interface is a little slower than the old one when handling larger amounts of tickets since you made it fancier. So dragging and dropping is quite annoying. Much rather use hotkeys.

I really like the roadmap feature, which is why im going through the pain of migrating everything, but seriously, getting full hotkey support is critical for comfortable use of Jira especially when handling multiple boards/teams.

Are these things scheduled to be implemented and if so when can we expect them?

PS: That switching between backlog, roadmap and board with 1234 is really sexy

Like Matt Cuba likes this
Pavel Petrov December 15, 2020

Hey, nice job here. Please add some keyboard shortcut to log work or some user programmable keys. On premise there was an add on that allowed us to log work by simply pressing the W keyboard button. It was pretty handy and was used a lot.

Like Jip Spinnewijn likes this
Jaime Capitel _resolution_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 14, 2021

Putting this in my bookmarks. Wait. No. Special place in my desktop background!

Ixora Ferodolin February 9, 2021

What a helpful tips! Thanks!

Ricky Han February 16, 2021

Awesome! Thanks!

Vitalij Kornijenko March 1, 2021

Gary Kay March 17, 2021

This is a good start. I can work much more efficiently if I can keep my hands on the keyboard. JIRA used to really shine in this area...

Please restore all of the ways to interact with an issue via the quick operation key: [.] - it seems that all I can do with that now are administrative functions whereas in classic JIRA, I could open up the quick operation and start typing the new issue status I wanted to set or a number of issue operations (like Clone) that are now hidden under several clicks. 

Howie June 12, 2021

Can you provide  shortcut key for move issue's order. Drag & drop by mouse is so slooow

Bruce.Redfern October 14, 2021

Can we get a PDF or somesuch of just the shortcuts?

Never mind, screen-scrapped it.

Scott S February 22, 2022

Do issue navigation shortcuts not work in Roadmap view?  Asked the question here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Keyboard-Shortcuts-Navigate-Issues-in-Roadmap-View/qaq-p/1953086#M520509

Marco Brown September 30, 2022

Navigation short cut keys don't seem to work in issue filter views. Is this a bug?  Would be very helpful since otherwise there is just a lot of back and forth clicking to scan issues.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events