Jira Workflow Transition Types

Introduction

While studying for my ACP-100 exam (Jira Administration for Data Center and Server, at the time of writing this article), I came across the names of 3 different Jira workflow transition types (there may be more!), outside of the usual one status -> transition -> one status.  I had a hard time tracking down much documentation on them.  So I thought I would share what I found for others studying for an exam or for those who just want to learn more about transitions.

3 Special Transition Types

1. Common

A common transition is one that two or more statuses use.

This one you've probably seen before.  When you add a transition, you click the Reuse a transition tab and select an existing transition to reuse.

reuse.png

2. Global

A global transition is one that can be transitioned to from any status in the workflow.

You've also probably seen this one but didn't know that it was called a global transition.  This transition is created by checking the box next to Allow all statuses to transition to this one.

all.png

3. Self-reflecting

A self-reflecting transition, transitions back to itself, not a different status.

You probably have not seen this one too often.  It took some digging to figure out what this transition does.  Some use cases for the self-reflecting transition are when you:

• Don't want the status to change
  • Want to prompt the user to input data on a transition screen
  • Want to put a post-function on the transition

I suppose that you could also use a self-reflecting transition if you didn't want to add more statuses to Jira but wanted to prompt the user to complete a step. The transition won't be recorded in the issue history, just that the status went back to itself.

history.png

You could get creative in how you implement a self-reflecting transition!

Sample Workflow

Here they all are together in a workflow with my added notes:

workflow.png

Conclusion

Now you know the names of those transitions you've been using.

I hope you found this article to be helpful.  If you did, please Like it!

And remember me when you get the question on the exam right. ;)

6 comments

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2021

A good use case for the self-transitioning can be that you need something to happen before the issue can move forward. I have used it for Risk Assessment where the issue was not allowed to moved forward unless the CRB risk assessed the issue first. Because you are using a transition you can control who can perform that one, for example only users in a specific project role should be able to do it.

I have also used it to set the resolution on issues that where in a done status category but didn't have the resolution set. You can the add that as a post function to the transition.

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2021

Good article! I see that @Rachel Wright's article at https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/How-to-create-global-looping-transitions-in-a-Jira-workflow/ba-p/1135968 had some good discussion about what to call the "self-transitioning" transitions. 

Did you find some Atlassian docs that use the word "self-transitioning"? I see @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ uses that term too but I don't know where it came from.

Atlassian - pick a phrase, add it to some docs, please!

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2021

Wait, you use the phrase "self-reflecting" as well. Now that is confusing!

Like WW likes this
Joanna Thurmann
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 6, 2021

@WW fantastic write-up. And thanks for your input @Matt Doar.

They are most commonly referred to as self-reflecting, loop, or looping transitions. On the exams, they are called "self-reflecting". 

Like # people like this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2021

nice article :) always good to get some clarification on terms we just use casually.

I tend to use self-reflecting transitions indeed mainly when I want to show a transition screen with fields that only a specific group/user should have access to. By limiting the transition itself it's an easy way to block the fields.

Like WW likes this
WW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2021

Hi @Matt Doar ,

The word "self-reflecting" (which I somehow renamed to self-transitioning*) came from the ACP-100 Jira cert prep course study materials.  That's where all three of the names of the transition types came from.  I searched and searched for something about self-reflecting transitions, and had to infer from some posts that indirectly mentioned self-reflecting transitions and one youtube video on it.

That article you linked to looks like a good one.  I've never heard of global looping transitions, but they seem to be another type of transition where it's a self-reflecting transition on a global transition.  

*I have no idea why I renamed self-reflecting to self-transitioning.  Maybe I saw it somewhere, or maybe I got transition happy. :)  I went ahead and updated the terminology so that it's all the same now.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events