Introducing the new issue search to Jira Cloud users (updated)

Say hello to a faster way of searching for issues in Jira as we’ve modernized and optimized this experience. While we haven’t made changes to the way you search for issues, we’ve improved the search performance in Jira, redesigned it, and added new features. With improved keyboard accessibility, everyone can search for issues without any hassles.

Group 278.png

1. Switch between views

2. Switch between basic and JQL modes

3. New JQL editor

4. Edit status without opening issues

5. Configure columns

What’s changed?

Read on to learn more about the new issue search experience, its features, its differences from the old experience, and information to make your transition to the new experience easier.

Search for issues faster

Keeping performance and scale in mind, we’ve backed the new issue search experience with a modernized technology stack so that you can search for issues in no time.

The new JQL editor

Build powerful searches using the Jira Query Language (JQL) to deep dive into data, create tailored views of issues for dashboards, and much more.

Fix errors in real-time

The new JQL editor can validate syntax fast, and highlights errors in red with detailed information on how to fix them.

273932e7-8a76-4fd2-84d3-faae624886b2.gif

Smart syntax highlighting

The new JQL editor helps you build queries in real time by analyzing your query structure, identifying entity types, and highlighting them as you type. This makes queries more readable, and easier to edit as you write.

7dad1a06-1403-4fc8-b306-88b198efaaae.png

Enhanced autocomplete

We’ve improved the autocomplete experience to give more insightful feedback as you type. The editor shows keywords and functions at the top, while loading the data in the background.

9f237777-c2fb-449d-951a-0fc4f75890d1 (1) (1).gif

Expandable editor

You can expand the editor to allow space for editing longer queries. The numbered lines make it easier to read the query and find where potential errors are. Additionally, you can add a new line as you type (Shift+Enter).

c2a684c3-fea3-461d-b643-162efb1154c4.png

Edit status without opening issues

In list view, you can quickly change the status of an issue without opening it. Find the issue you want to update and simply select the status to change it.

Search across multiple projects

Add or remove projects that you want to search your issues from.

a2b38372-c5f4-46c5-9c3d-27450a69c07a.gif

Configure and reorder columns

Add or remove columns to see your most important fields with issues in list view. Select Configure columns to add these fields.

ad59b8db-07d3-4b13-a980-f97db6d3a708.gif

You can also reorder your columns and customize your views as per your preference by simply dragging the columns to the right position.

0a4f3a34-3a7e-4827-8134-711ca11a65d8.gif

What’s next?

We’ll begin moving all users on the old issue search (currently called the Advanced issue search) to the new issue search in Jira Cloud products (Jira Software, Jira Service Management, and Jira Work Management). Eventually, we’ll remove access to the old issue search. We’ll let you know about the key dates and upcoming changes well in advance.

Update

We're excited to announce that we're moving all Jira users to the new issue search experience by the end of March 2024.

We also support the following features making your search experience even more powerful.

Improved support for all fields

You can refine your search results further to find all the fields you need. To try it, select Issues > More+.

9365aa3a-a8f7-499e-9568-08c9fdd47ebb.png

Configure more than just your default columns

Configure columns within your starred filters with just a few clicks. Select Configure columns > Filter to select the columns you want to see.

Admins can select Configure columns > System to quickly modify columns across projects for all users within their site.

Kapture2024-03-11at10.31.42.gif

Export only the issues you need

We’ve added more options to simplify your export. When using a filter, select Export issues to export filtered fields in the format you want. When not using a filter, you can use Export issues to export your default fields in different formats.
 dd4f13f4-6be3-47f8-bd67-92c3d342a9f7.png 66a98d4c-fdda-4d63-b4e9-78e856a1a5c8.png

Huge thanks to all our users for your feedback and continued support over the past year. We’ll keep you updated on further changes soon.

62 comments

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2023

Great to see/hear it's also coming to JSM now!

@Kevin Yu am I right to assume that the new JQL editor will also come  to the Queues?

Like # people like this
David Berclaz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2023

Looks great, thanks for sharing!

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2023

@Kevin Yu 

Edit status without opening issues: What if you have a workflow/transition screen or a condition or validator configured in your workflow?

Like # people like this
Kirk Gould May 5, 2023

Sounds promising. Does this editor help us do the same searches in an easier way or does it also let us do more helpful searches?

• Please search for all my Epics, along with their Stories, and Subtasks in hierarchical order so that I can see things as a structure, not just a list.
  • Please examine all Stories that seem to get stuck in a certain state the most so that I can identify bottlenecks.
  • Please find me Jira Issues by Project that represent Team Swarming the best so that we can copy that Team's approach.
  • Please search through all the Issues that have a similar workflow so that I can tweak the workflows to make them more standard.
Like # people like this
Joey Lin May 5, 2023

@Kevin Yu When will this change occur?

Like # people like this
ridhima verma May 8, 2023

it would be great to see all this in action soon

Martin Runge May 8, 2023

I like the new and faster way of searching for issues and can not wait to use it. Thanks...

Mark Darby May 8, 2023

Thanks for the updates.  Always great to see improvements.  As long as you're on a roll... nested queries would be great, too!!!  Been asking for that one for a long time!!  

Like # people like this
Suze
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

With the ability to update status and the ability to edit issues, are users going to need to adhere to guardrails configured, such as workflow conditions, or fields on the edit screen?

Ian Channing May 8, 2023

Is it going to be any easier to get to/find this page?

As far as I know its still buried under 'Filters > Advanced Issue Search' - could this not be added as a small 'advanced' button in/next to the normal backlog issue search?

Like # people like this
Pedram Mireftekhari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2023

The new view, does it support Asset fields as well?

Like # people like this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2023

Nice. Thanks for this @Kevin Yu  - I like it. I wonder if the view (JQL/Basic and Columns, etc) make the view personalised to the user viewing it or if it is changeable for everyone for a project/view? Also, how will I know this change is rolled out to me? Thank you

Like # people like this
Erki Tammik
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 19, 2023

@Kevin Yu 

Some of my thoughts 

• It would be helpful for admins to have presets for column layouts. Often, I find myself assisting people in different projects, and I need to frequently modify the columns to view relevant information from their specific projects. Having preset column layouts would make this process easier.
  • I would appreciate it if the advanced issue search could be made more easily accessible, preferably through a shortcut. It would also be nice to include it in the command palette menu
Like # people like this
Jordan McCombs June 22, 2023

Love this, but are we ever going to get improvements on the way we can search for linked issues in JQL??

Like # people like this
Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2023

Is the new JQL experience functionally equivalent to the current "Advanced Search" JQL search or are there things still missing from the new experience?

I am a pretty big fan of the UI\UX improvements in the new JQL search experience and have been waiting for it to be promoted to top billing, but it seems like whenever this happens there's a small number of highly important features that get left behind. 

JQL is incredibly important to how people interact with Jira, so I am really hoping everything is there. Not to say I wouldn't welcome some much needed improvements, but if we've waited 20+ years for some of these (as much as I hate to say it) we can probably wait a few minutes longer.

Like # people like this
Doug Harris June 22, 2023

Does this need to be enabled in some way? I'm not seeing the syntax highlighting or error indications shown in these screenshots

Like # people like this
Dave Furlani June 22, 2023

Looks good. I wish the JQL editor autocomplete would add the space after each field/phrase/text is added so I could just build a query with the mouse and didn't have to hit the space bar every time, but maybe that's just me being lazy

Like John Funk likes this
Sudhendu Kopergaonkar June 22, 2023

Great features! When can I see at my Jira cloud?

Like # people like this
Diogo Teles
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 26, 2023

This is great! I was always a bit sad that JWM has such a powerful issue list view and in JS filters and issue view you still could do no issue editing from the list. This is not quite that yet, but look like a step in the right direction.

Also, that expanded JQL rocks

Brecht Seys June 26, 2023

Native partial search matching for component and/or not breaking Scriptrunner so I could still use "component in componentMatch(regex)" would be great.

Chris Tolley June 30, 2023

@Kevin Yu we have noticed that if you include to show the "Label" column, and your issues have more than two labels in the new view, the labels start stacking on top of each other, making that issue's row larger. This ends up negatively impacting the screen real estate and you end up with a lot of wasted white space on the results page.

Is this something that can be changed, so that the labels column (and others) can be made wider to accommodate for that stacking of labels? Would then look much nicer.

Thanks

Like # people like this
dan_hersonsky July 5, 2023

Hi 

Thanks for presenting this.

What about fileds that still cannot be presented as columns ? 

We got a message that not all fields has been configured to columns.

Thanks a head

Like # people like this
Jordan Koukides
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 5, 2023

@Dirk Ronsmans We appreciate the enthusiasm! We are currently assessing demand for this functionality (including the new JQL editor) in both JSM queues and queues config, however this experience will initially be available in JSM via the 'issues and filters' tab on the sidebar.

@Dave Mathijs Editing the status of an issue inline in the list view is designed to carry over all of the same behaviours as editing the status within the issue, including obeying transition screens or validators. Please let me know if this is not working for you.

@Kirk Gould The new JQL editor still uses the same functionality that our customers know and love, however many of the upgrades have been made to the user experience (ie, syntax highlighting, user lozenges, improved error handling, etc). To better solve for the use cases you've mentioned, definitely check out our Atlassian Intelligence features which are coming soon. I think our new solution for converting natural language queries to JQL will be a great demonstrator of your examples.

@Joey Lin We are rolling this change out progressively based on the features that we currently support in the new experience. The majority of Jira Cloud instances should have this updated functionality as of today, however customers who use the more complex issue search features in the legacy experience may have to wait slightly longer so we can ensure that we have complete feature parity.

Like # people like this
Jordan Koukides
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 5, 2023

@Ian Channing There are a few ways to access this screen in Jira Cloud. 

Searching within the context of a project:

1. Navigate to a specific project -> In the sidebar, click 'Issues' (or 'Issue and filters' if you are in Jira Service Management)

Searching within all issues in an instance:

1. Navigate to the 'project context' issue search as described above -> Click 'Go to all issues' at the top of the page
  2. From the top Jira navigation, click 'Filters' -> Click 'View all issues'
  3. From the top Jira navigation, click the search box in the top right corner -> Click 'View all issues' at the bottom of the pop-up (or just press 'Enter')

@Pedram Mireftekhari This new view does not currently support the Asset field, however it is on our roadmap to be included in the near future.

@Yatish Madhav Currently, configuration of columns is only stored on a 'per user' basis. We are planning to add functionality to configure columns for a specific filter, and also bring the capability for admins to configure columns for a specific project or instance. You can check if the new experience has been rolled out to you by following the instructions to find the page at the start of this comment.

@Erki Tammik Responses to the comments above should also answer your questions.

Like # people like this
Jordan Koukides
Atlassian Team
July 5, 2023

@Jordan McCombs Appreciate your feedback on this - linked issues functionality is definitely something that we can look into. In the mean time, I would suggest trying some of our third-party apps that bring additional functionality to JQL, such as ScriptRunner for Jira.

@Haddon Fisher I can confirm that JQL functionality of the new editor is the same as the old editor behind the scenes - the only changes are updates to the visual UX, as well as usability improvements to autocorrect/suggestions and error handling.

@Doug Harris We are rolling this experience out on a staggered basis dependant on the features that we currently support and the features that your users have used recently in the legacy experience. However, this is available to everyone for searching within the context of a specific project, accessible by:

1. Navigate to a specific project -> In the sidebar, click 'Issues' (or 'Issue and filters' if you are in Jira Service Management). If you do not see Issues in the side nav, you may have to configure it in settings.

@Chris Tolley We share your sentiment on this Chris - pleased to report that an improvement to the labels field will be rolled out over the next few weeks to alleviate this issue.

@dan_hersonsky Our focus is on progressively adding more fields to the new experience that can be configured as columns within the list view. Can you please share the specific fields that you are looking to use?

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events